Game Day: Suns (1-0) @ Nuggets (1-0), Fri 10/25/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-0) @ Nuggets (1-0), Fri 10/25/19

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:46 am

My only concern with Coach is Bridges' minutes. In that 3rd quarter when we couldn't defend without fouling, Bridges should have come in to steady us. There were stretches where Milsap was on the court, and I thought we should have gone with Bridges & Oubre as forwards and just let Oubre attack Milsap. I probably wouldn't have played Saric late in the game at all.
I tweeted about it last night and I agree. There's no excuse for Carter being on the floor with Murray going off & we are running point Book besides. Just throw out Book-Johnson-Bridges-Oubre-Baynes.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We ran Carter-Johnson-Booker-Bridges-Kaminsky for maybe 2 minutes. Monty was probably on the sidelines going, 'Shit I forgot who was out there when I made the last substitution.'

Gimme some Book-Johnson-Bridges-Oubre-Baynes, or some Rubio-Book-Bridges-Oubre-Kaminsky.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

[tweet] [/tweet]

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It was valiant effort.

The officiating was questionable. Especially in the 4th and OT. Why did the call go against Carter when Jokic clearly pushed him into Murray? Saric got killed by Jokic, but no call. It was weird.

Book was really off. His shot was short, even on his mid range and close ones. It was like he didn't have the legs last night.

They missed Ayton. He would have given Jokic some fits, out running him and being much quicker. His defense in the first game was the best of his career, and I'm hoping it's something he keeps improving on as his career gets better.

Missed not having Cam and Ty out there. They would have helped, imo.

Saric is doing his best Bender impression from the 3 pt line. He needs to shoot better, it just looks off before it even leaves his hands.

Kaminsky still looks good, and was a clutch signing by Jones. I still can't understand all the hate for him when he was signed.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:53 am
That was a different question, because the dichotomy asked was between an easy score early or wait out for the clock, and Doc said “If you can score in a second, you score”. Booker didn’t have an easy way to score, so he did second best, going all in for a last second basket, so the other team won’t have another shot at winning.
Doc’s point remains the same—you try to score as quickly as you can with as much time left on the clock as possible. He says, “If you miss, the game’s over. That makes no sense. [...] When you’re down two, you try to score. And then you put it on your (defense). You don’t wait.”
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Booker was out of sorts all night. All night it looked like he didn't know if he wanted to shoot, pull up from midrange or go to the basket and the final play was no different. His FT pullup is automatic but he didn't use it nearly enough last night.

Saric is doing his best Bender impression from the 3 pt line. He needs to shoot better, it just looks off before it even leaves his hands.

I don't know if it's the offense and the kind of looks he's getting or what but he looks like he's got no confidence offensively. I almost wish Monty would run some early offense for him to try and get him in a rhythm. Defensively tho he's been really good and was great guarding Jokic late in the game when Baynes fouled out.
Last edited by ShelC on Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

BTW, site usage note: I see that several of you are embedding tweets by writing 'tweet' tags around the twitter link. With the current version of the site, you don't need to do that any more. Just paste the link to the tweet on its own line and the site will automatically embed it. Voila!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:53 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
That was a different question, because the dichotomy asked was between an easy score early or wait out for the clock, and Doc said “If you can score in a second, you score”. Booker didn’t have an easy way to score, so he did second best, going all in for a last second basket, so the other team won’t have another shot at winning.
Doc’s point remains the same—you try to score as quickly as you can with as much time left on the clock as possible. He says, “If you miss, the game’s over. That makes no sense. [...] When you’re down two, you try to score. And then you put it on your (defense). You don’t wait.”
We were down 1.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Think Docs point is wrong. I think Booker did the right thing. If Booker makes the shot, he’s a hero, we are 2/0 and we don’t have this conversation.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:06 pm
BTW, site usage note: I see that several of you are embedding tweets by writing 'tweet' tags around the twitter link. With the current version of the site, you don't need to do that any more. Just paste the link to the tweet on its own line and the site will automatically embed it. Voila!
You a genius! Thanks

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
It probably should be removed from the editor page if possible.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:07 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
We were down 1.
Correct, Doc was talking about being down 2. But why should it make a difference whether you are down 1 or 2?

Even the Nuggets announcers were caught off guard by it:

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Yeah, I heard him, but got lazy into transcribed all. The initial question sets the mood across the entire response, including the face Doc puts when the reporter insisted about leaving aside an easy score in order to run the clock down AND THEN shoot.

You can’t leave the “easy score” factor out of this response, and Booker didn’t had that chance and then let the clock run out.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
That's me :D Thanks, Marty.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Democritus wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:40 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
That's me :D Thanks, Marty.
Not just you.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:18 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Done!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:06 am
Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Done!
You da man!
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:06 am
Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Done!
You rock and the site rocks.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't mind us winding down the clock with an iso for Booker. He's one of the best in the game, and the Suns were out of bodies.

I didn't question the play at all in the moment, and I don't blame anyone for the loss. We had a shot in overtime against maybe the best team in the west on a night when the team as a whole shot really poorly and all the calls went against us.

If I was Monty, I might have had trouble sleeping on that decision, though. Booker was off all night. Maybe we win if they run a play to free up Tyler Johnson, or get Kaminsky a touch in the post. That's what keeps coaches up at night.

I'm just amazed that we were in that situation. Respect to the team for getting to that point. We will get the next one.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't mind the last shot. But I wish we had run more of a play, run a screen to get Book open. I hate when the last play comes down to, "dribble dribble dribble, charge the basket, take an awkward fadeaway." Oh well. On to the next.