Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Nodack » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 pm

We are playing ridiculously good basketball beating even the most optimistic people’s expectations. I agree. I hate trade talk for the most part anyway. When we are playing great basketball, it almost seems disrespectful.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10876
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by carey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:57 pm

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 15686
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Superbone » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:20 pm

carey wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:57 pm
Has this been posted? https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1867491
It has been now. Thanks!
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 9106
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Indy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:33 am

That defensive possession from Baynes on Curry is crazy. He gets switched, forces him to give up the ball, chases him into the corner, around some screens, and then recovers to get to him as he catches the ball above the break and blocks his 3... wow.

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by O_Gardino » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:51 am

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:48 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:26 pm
If it ain't broke don't screw with it... Why risk our chemistry for some fantasy ball
Agree. The guys are playing great and we're already talking about trading them away. Saric puts up some ridiculous numbers last night that are almost unheard of and we're thinking about how to package him with some other players for Love, etc...

Did I miss something? Are we playing bad basketball?
We're not playing bad basketball. It seems weird. Maybe we should trade for someone from a bad team.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by O_Gardino » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:55 am

Love's contract is sooo huge, and he's going to be injured a lot to end his career. I'm not giving up Saric or a pick. If the Cavs want to dump him on us, they would have to offer me their pick. That's just to even look up the salary cap implications. I probably still turn down the deal.

Still, the FO needs to think ahead about what to do with Tyler Johnson this season. We could extend him at a much reduced salary, we could trade him for an upgrade somewhere on the roster, or we could just let his salary come off the books this summer. Jones needs to be open to the right trade.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 5094
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by ShelC » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:58 am

I don't see Tyler having much value and I'm not sure I want a player(s) coming back with his salary that'll stay on the books. I'm fine letting his deal expire and just moving on with Carter/Jerome.

We need to figure out a way to keep Baynes and maybe Saric too.

User avatar
jonh
Posts: 820
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by jonh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:55 am

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:51 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:48 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:26 pm
If it ain't broke don't screw with it... Why risk our chemistry for some fantasy ball
Agree. The guys are playing great and we're already talking about trading them away. Saric puts up some ridiculous numbers last night that are almost unheard of and we're thinking about how to package him with some other players for Love, etc...

Did I miss something? Are we playing bad basketball?
We're not playing bad basketball. It seems weird. Maybe we should trade for someone from a bad team.
Yeah, this seems really strange to me. I want to just sit back, relax, and literally just watch reruns of the first 5 games all weekend. What an incredibly pleasant surprise (to me, anyways--props to Superbone and all of the other optimists out there keeping the fire burning bright during the Long Winter).
“I’m done with not making the playoffs. I’m serious. This is probably the last year I’m ever not making the playoffs.” Devin Booker-- April, 2017

User avatar
jonh
Posts: 820
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by jonh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:13 am

Don't know if its been posted yet--great break down about Baynes:

“I’m done with not making the playoffs. I’m serious. This is probably the last year I’m ever not making the playoffs.” Devin Booker-- April, 2017

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by O_Gardino » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:26 am

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:58 am
I don't see Tyler having much value and I'm not sure I want a player(s) coming back with his salary that'll stay on the books. I'm fine letting his deal expire and just moving on with Carter/Jerome.

We need to figure out a way to keep Baynes and maybe Saric too.
Baynes / Saric / Carter / Johnson are all on expiring contracts. If they keep playing the way they are, all of those guys will earn a bigger deal from someone. I think we have to bring back Baynes, but the other guys might walk if we draft or sign someone else at those positions.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 10241
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Mori Chu » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:32 am

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:55 am
Still, the FO needs to think ahead about what to do with Tyler Johnson this season. We could extend him at a much reduced salary, we could trade him for an upgrade somewhere on the roster, or we could just let his salary come off the books this summer. Jones needs to be open to the right trade.
I don't mind Tyler Johnson but obviously wouldn't want him at anywhere near his current salary. My guess is that we'll just let him go because he seems pretty replacement-level as a backup guard and might want more money to stay than we would be willing to pay.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10876
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by carey » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 5094
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by ShelC » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:39 pm

"...So I think the guys James [Jones] brought in help our defense for sure, but I think Devin's mentality to guard his position every night is a leadership quality that our team can follow."

I thought about this the other night watching Devin defend. If he (aka the team's star player) buys in, there's no reason for the other guys not to. And it doesn't put Monty in the tough position of having to let his "star" slide on defense but hold others accountable or to a different standard for their defense. To me, that's a big relief.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 10241
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Mori Chu » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:15 pm

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:39 pm
"...So I think the guys James [Jones] brought in help our defense for sure, but I think Devin's mentality to guard his position every night is a leadership quality that our team can follow."

I thought about this the other night watching Devin defend. If he (aka the team's star player) buys in, there's no reason for the other guys not to. And it doesn't put Monty in the tough position of having to let his "star" slide on defense but hold others accountable or to a different standard for their defense. To me, that's a big relief.
I agree; his defensive effort has been really good so far this year, noticeably different than last season. I also think his passing has been pretty good. He is not only scoring a lot of points but also finding other players for easy baskets and sharing the duty of running the offense with Rubio and others. Booker is playing really well other than maybe the first 1-2 games of the season.

User avatar
Ring_Wanted
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Ring_Wanted » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:16 pm

Having a big expiring contract is important so we can maie a move for a star. If there is not any available until the deadline, we should take a bad contract that expires next year so we can try again (while adding some asset like a pick).

Letting TJ just expire comes at a huge opportunity cost.

That said, I am not confident the owner wants to play that expensive game.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 10241
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Mori Chu » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:16 pm
Having a big expiring contract is important so we can maie a move for a star. If there is not any available until the deadline, we should take a bad contract that expires next year so we can try again (while adding some asset like a pick).

Letting TJ just expire comes at a huge opportunity cost.

That said, I am not confident the owner wants to play that expensive game.
Saver probably wouldn't be willing to take on much salary to get a draft pick. He might be willing to spend to bring in a player for a playoff run, though. That's probably the opposite of what you're picturing.

User avatar
3rdside
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:59 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by 3rdside » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:05 pm

jonh wrote:Don't know if its been posted yet--great break down about Baynes:

Great video .. was going to say if he continues to hit 3’s and guard the curry’s of the league, I’d sign him up to a long term contract real quick...But he’s 33 - wtf?

Turns out he didn’t come to the NBA till he was 26.

Either way he’d also be a great mentor for Ayton with his apparent skill set (ability to be strong defensively without blocking shots and playing as a 3-point shooting big).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ring_Wanted
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Ring_Wanted » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:07 pm

I am saying TJ's contract needs to be used before the deadline. The cap works in such way that losing this big salary slot makes it way harder to add a relevant player later.

If said use comes in form of a player who helps now, great. But if such player is not available the FO needs to spend to preserve the ability to make a big move without giving up key pieces. That's where takong a teo yeat bad contract comes in play, ideally while adding some kind of asset.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8012
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Split T » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:10 pm

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:07 pm
I am saying TJ's contract needs to be used before the deadline. The cap works in such way that losing this big salary slot makes it way harder to add a relevant player later.

If said use comes in form of a player who helps now, great. But if such player is not available the FO needs to spend to preserve the ability to make a big move without giving up key pieces. That's where takong a teo yeat bad contract comes in play, ideally while adding some kind of asset.
This upcoming FA class is pretty bad, making the space that letting Johnson expire creates fairly worthless. Not to mention, with the troubles in China, there are rumors the cap won’t jump like expected and we may not even have that much space anyways.

I like Johnson, but he doesn’t actually seem to have that important of a role for us right now. If Ty Jerome shows that he’s capable of logging rotation minutes, that makes Tyler very expendable.

User avatar
Bucktastic365
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:35 am

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Bucktastic365 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:13 pm

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:19 pm
For some reason, I feel like Dario is on an island on this team. Doesn't get talked about much, doesn't seem to have chemistry with anyone in particular on the court, is just kind of out there feeling his way around and trying to find his spots. Last night was especially tough because he got hit with fouls early and it wasn't until the 2nd half that he hit a 3 and then made those nice passes. He's a legit triple threat and I think not having the ball in his hands hurts his game a bit as he's more than just a set shooter. Then there's this:


Awesome, that's me 😀

Post Reply