Game Day: Hawks (4-6) @ Suns (6-4), Thurs 11/14/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Hawks (4-6) @ Suns (6-4), Thurs 11/14/19

Post by ShelC »

The first half was pretty sloppy and we came out flat but still led at the half I think. 2nd half was more energy and execution, just seemed like guys woke up and wanted to break the game out.

Kelly responded to the Lakers game. It was against the Hawks but still great to see him care enough to really bring it and be mindful of how he needs to play for us to be that much better. I think Monty also took some responsibility for Kelly's game against LA by not trying to get him more looks and opportunities for easy scores. Kinda like Marion, you just expect him to get his during the game. But last night it looked like we were running some stuff specifically for Kelly. Good to see.

The lack of frontcourt depth is catching up to us. Jones and Len looked like Blake and Drummond. Even when Frank is playing well offensively, Baynes is the only physical, defensive presence we have. Last night looked like the first time he might be hitting the wall/wearing down. 11 games down, 14 more to go...

I think Dario had his best game of the year all around and especially offensively. He looks like he's rounding into shape too and seems sharper and quicker with his jumpshot.

Tyler Johnson has been kind of hit or miss so far and last night was a miss. He can be pretty inconsistent over the course of a season.

Cam looks more and more comfortable on the court and it's showing in his jumper.

When the hell do we see Ty Jerome???

Indy

Post by Indy »

Good on Kelly. Bounced back hard and did it with more energy than anyone else on the court. He made stuff happen.

We don't need him to be a 30 point scorer, heck we don't even need him to be a 20 ppg scorer. We just need this energy and swagger at both ends of the floor.

And it was great to see Mikal get some extended time last night. He was one of 3 players on our team that didn't lose any ground while he was on the court (along with TJ and Frank). https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 40PHO.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:47 pm
Cam Johnson is going to be a solid role player and that’s okay.
I have bashed Cam and the selection of Cam at #11 plenty. But he has been a deadly shooter lately and seems like a really good rotation player. He's James Jones, exactly as advertised. He's a nice player. I don't know if trading down 6->11 and drafting him there was the best asset management, but he's a guy I like having on our team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I watched this one start to finish but didn't post during because I was on DVR delay. It's hard to stay live with the kids climbing on me and getting into trouble. But I did enjoy this one.

As others have said, I was happy to see Oubre bounce back so strongly from the Lakers game. He clearly wanted to make up for it and worked hard. Saric and Kaminsky also both played really well. I think when our forwards are on like this, we are almost unstoppable, because our guards and center are always so consistent. As long as 1-2 of Oubre, Saric, Kaminsky, Bridges, Cam Johnson have good nights, we are a really hard team to stop.

Jevon Carter seems to be deep in the doghouse and out of the rotation. I think that's a good thing. He had a few nice games for us, but I didn't like what he did to our offensive flow. Bring on Ty Jerome!

Quiet night for Rubio, 2-9 shooting, 6 points, 8 assists. Baynes also had a rough game, 3 points on 1-5 shooting (0-3 on threes). We survived it because the other guys stepped up. Booker is so smooth and consistent lately. He had 27 points on 8-16 shooting and it never felt forced. He had some nice leaning or fading shots and some nice layups in transition. He just makes it look easy out there. He can almost effortlessly get about 25 points almost every game. I think the game is starting to slow down for him and he's figured out how to be a consistent 25-30-point scorer every night.

Overall I do like Atlanta's team, though they have some flaws. Trae Young is fun to watch, but you see the good and the bad on a night like tonight. 7-18 shooting, including 1-6 on 3s. Seemed out of control on some plays. I also didn't like the play where he dribbled through the defender's legs; makes a nice highlight but it's disrespectful. Feel like he's a bit of a punkass.

I didn't even remember that Atlanta had signed Jabari Parker. He looked pretty good tonight. I don't know if a Young/Parker/Collins/etc. core is one that can grow into a top team in the East, but they are at least frisky and not an easy win.

I chucked a bit at Len's revenge game. I liked him more than most here, but I am not sad that he's gone. And as others point out, he'll follow up a big game like this with several stinkers. I don't miss his inconsistency. And his trash talking about Phoenix didn't sit well.

Here's the box score:

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160807

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I didn't mind Trae's nutmeg on Rubio. It was on a breakaway and necessary for him to get by Rubio (think he scored on it too). It wasn't some halfcourt playground thing when they were up by 20.

If Collins is playing, they're a much tougher team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:06 am
I didn't mind Trae's nutmeg on Rubio. It was on a breakaway and necessary for him to get by Rubio (think he scored on it too). It wasn't some halfcourt playground thing when they were up by 20.
I didn't see that as a punk move either. It is a great way to counteract a bigger, smart defender. It keeps him unbalanced.

Also, isn't it traveling to pass the ball to yourself? I know the argument is he was dribbling, but he wasn't. He threw it ahead intentionally, and went to get it. Or am I stupid thinking your can't pass to yourself if you still have your dribble?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:55 am
I watched this one start to finish but didn't post during because I was on DVR delay. It's hard to stay live with the kids climbing on me and getting into trouble.
Wait, how did I miss you having more than 1? How many kids do you have and how old are they?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Somebody said this a couple of weeks ago (shelc maybe), but we just feel like a Spurs team this year. We just keep playing, keep working, and get sharper as the game goes on. Lesser teams may feel like they are playing us close, but they really aren't.

We can't do that against the best teams. When we play Boston, we have to be at full throttle from the tip.

The Hawks big guys killed us, if you just saw the box score. But it didn't really matter. The Suns saw my keys to the game posted in the locker room, and they nailed all 4 of them.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

jonh

Post by jonh »

I was home last night knowing there was a game, but I was preoccupied with a few other things. Before looking up the score for the game, I remembered that we were playing the Hawks, and I thought "Well, I feel like we probably won this game", and then I looked up the score, and I was right. I was trying to remember the last time I thought that about a Suns game--it has been too long.

I reveled in that feeling for a few minutes. Its been a great season so far.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I'm ok with Trae Young getting his ESPN highlight.

Suns won the game ... that's what counts.

It's a good sign that different players are major contributors on varying nights.

Williams will have an interesting dilemma when Ty Jerome is healthy, and is available to be integrated (gradually) into the rotation.
Another good "problem" will be providing equitable minutes for Oubre, Bridges and Cam Johnson.
Plus the return and redeployment of Ayton.

It's not quite an embarrassment of riches, but it's a far cry from the roster full of stiffs we've seen in recent years.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 am

It's a good sign that different players are major contributors on varying nights.

Williams will have an interesting dilemma when Ty Jerome is healthy, and is available to be integrated (gradually) into the rotation.
Another good "problem" will be providing equitable minutes for Oubre, Bridges and Cam Johnson.

It's not quite an embarrassment of riches, but it's a far cry from the roster full of stiffs we've seen in recent years.
In one year we have gone from starting g-league players to trying to figure out how to work in our #1 pick to a rotation that already includes a guy playing like a top 10 center in the game.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:59 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 am

In one year we have gone from starting g-league players to trying to figure out how to work in our #1 pick to a rotation that already includes a guy playing like a top 10 center in the game.
We didn’t do well in the lottery. We didn’t exploit anyone with lopsided trades in our favor. We didn’t land one of the most sought-after free agents. We don’t even have our #1 pick from last year.

And still this transformation has happened.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I want to praise Jones as much as possible. Then I read the reports that he wanted Rozier as our starting PG and didn't get him.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am
I want to praise Jones as much as possible. Then I read the reports that he wanted Rozier as our starting PG and didn't get him.
The trade for Oubre was also an accident. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

carey

Game Day: Hawks (4-6) @ Suns (6-4), Thurs 11/14/19

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:I want to praise Jones as much as possible. Then I read the reports that he wanted Rozier as our starting PG and didn't get him.
Rozier has been mediocre. I thought he'd be a disaster but he has been average. What has surprised me is that Rubio only shoots 1 percentage point less from the field and from 3 than Rozier. However, Ricky is 4th in the league in assists at 8.7 per game with an absurd assist-to-turnover ratio of 4:1! Terry on the other hand averages only 5.2 assists to 3.5 turnovers. Considering that Rubio is the better defender and it certainly seems like Jones did the right thing by signing Rubio over Rozier. Maybe I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt but if we really wanted Rozier we could have upped our offer. It was also reported that Ricky didn't become available until the last minute when Indiana changed their mind and went after Brogdon instead.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 am
Indy wrote:I want to praise Jones as much as possible. Then I read the reports that he wanted Rozier as our starting PG and didn't get him.
Rozier has been mediocre. I thought he'd be a disaster but he has been average. What has surprised me is that Rubio only shoots 1 percentage point less from the field and from 3 than Rozier. However, Ricky is 4th in the league in assists at 8.7 per game with an absurd assist-to-turnover ratio of 4:1! Terry on the other hand averages only 5.2 assists to 3.5 turnovers. Considering that Rubio is the better defender and it certainly seems like Jones did the right thing by signing Rubio over Rozier. Maybe I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt but if we really wanted Rozier we could have upped our offer. It was also reported that Ricky didn't become available until the last minute when Indiana changed their mind and went after Brogdon instead.
I got the impression from what I read that Rozier wasn't interested, even if the offer was higher. But, like capologist said, better to be lucky than good some days.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:32 am
Tyler Johnson has been kind of hit or miss so far and last night was a miss. He can be pretty inconsistent over the course of a season.
Tyler was a +22 last night only behind Kaminsky's +29. Next closest was Oubre with +14.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:45 am
And it was great to see Mikal get some extended time last night. He was one of 3 players on our team that didn't lose any ground while he was on the court (along with TJ and Frank). https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 40PHO.html
... and Booker, Rubio, Saric, and Cam.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:49 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:45 am
... and Booker, Rubio, Saric, and Cam.
No, those guys had negative stints on the court.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:46 pm
ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:32 am
Tyler was a +22 last night only behind Kaminsky's +29. Next closest was Oubre with +14.
Ehhh, he was 0-2 with 5 assists. Yea we were winning when he was out there, but I wouldn't say he affected the game to the tune of +22.