Game Day: Pelicans (5-9) @ Suns (7-6), Thurs 11/21/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Game Day: Pelicans (5-9) @ Suns (7-6), Thurs 11/21/19

Post by Wally_West »

Saric sucked, Kaminsky sucked. We know that. BUT DEVIN!? The fuck dude??? Ingram just took over the game while Devin passed up layups. I don’t get what is going on with Devin Booker. Just making terrible decisions these past few games.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Really wished they got this one. I don’t know how long Rubio and Baynes will be out but it could be a rough next couple games without them.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oof. Rough game. The Suns just didn't seem interested in playing consistent defense, again. We scored a lot, but then we'd let them come right back after every basket and take an open 3 or waltz to the basket. We made Ingram look like a star. Redick also seemed red hot, especially in the first half.

The main bright spot for me lately has been Cam Johnson. His shooting has been great. He and Booker are the only two guys on our team where every time they pull up for a good look from 3, I think it's going in. I have really warmed up to Cam as the season has gone on. Okobo also had a pretty good game in his increased role; good for him. Oubre had another strong outing.

We don't look very good lately. It's a real shame to play so badly during an extended home stand. But then I remember that we are missing 3 of our 5 starters. Take 3 starters off most any team, including their PG and C, and they'll struggle. Hopefully we'll get some of our guys back soon and will look like our old selves again. As it is for now, no game feels like a safe win and we're tumbling down the standings.

Here's the box score:

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160856

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:02 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:00 pm
No Rubio, Baynes or Ayton. Need a capable backup distributing PG in the worst way.
And another shotmaker who can create on his own when need be.
I hear Mike James is available.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:10 pm
Now four losses in their last five home games.
The wheels have fallen off the wagon.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Booker may be the face of the franchise, but Baynes and Rubio are the balls and spine of this group.

It's not just a numbers thing -- Baynes and Rubio have played with good organizations and know what winning basketball looks and feels like.
Their absence creates lack of leadership, continuity and pace.
Without them, it's activity without achievement

Kaminsky was signed as a deep bench player, so his problems in extended minutes aren't surprising.
He's a Dodge in a BMW role, and it's not working.

I did expect more from Saric.
He seems unsure at times and disappears in key junctures of the game.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Cap

Post by Cap »

This short losing streak has quickly dropped our 538 playoff odds from over 70% to 47%. :cry:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... ions/suns/

Pips

Post by Pips »

Šarić can suck a bag of dicks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Frank seems to be a clone of Saric but missing the genes for passing and knowing where to be on defense. I realize that he has had some great games, but we just can't count on him.

All of that said, if someone asked you a month ago if you would be happy with going 7-7 over our first 14 games if you knew Ayton would miss 13, Rubio would miss 3, and Baynes 2, what would you say?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:27 pm
FYI, I may be offline for a few days. Birthday tomorrow and our first baby born anytime between now and December 2nd! If not late, of course!
Congrats! We will see you in 6 months! :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Looked to me like we let down because we thought this game would be a little easier. The Pels stepped it up because they saw this as a rare winnable game for them.

Laz is right about Rubio and Baynes.

We still don't know how to get Booker shots in the offense. How does he only take 14 with 3 fta? Monty needs to work in some opportunities for Book to pressure his defender and draw fouls.

Saric has looked like he should be sitting out injured the last 2 games. Overall, he hasn't been as impactful as I expected.

I cry a little every time Bridges catches the ball behind the 3pt line.

Otherwise, the bench was all a little better than I expected them to be. Props to Okobo, Diallo, Cam, and Carter for showing that they are better than the Pels bench.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Im not going to say it "every time <Clarke> has a good game", but this team could really use him. Cam's shooting is really coming around, but Clarke does all the things the rest of the team doesn't do.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:48 am
Im not going to say it "every time <Clarke> has a good game", but this team could really use him. Cam's shooting is really coming around, but Clarke does all the things the rest of the team doesn't do.
agreed

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:45 am
Looked to me like we let down because we thought this game would be a little easier. The Pels stepped it up because they saw this as a rare winnable game for them.

Laz is right about Rubio and Baynes.

We still don't know how to get Booker shots in the offense. How does he only take 14 with 3 fta? Monty needs to work in some opportunities for Book to pressure his defender and draw fouls.

Saric has looked like he should be sitting out injured the last 2 games. Overall, he hasn't been as impactful as I expected.

I cry a little every time Bridges catches the ball behind the 3pt line.

Otherwise, the bench was all a little better than I expected them to be. Props to Okobo, Diallo, Cam, and Carter for showing that they are better than the Pels bench.
Every team is doubling him really quickly once he catches the ball, and he seems to be completely bought in to not playing hero ball. Maybe he should have practiced with more double teams this summer. :lol:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If we were at full strength I'd be worried. But without Rubio, Ayton and Baynes we're almost back to square 1 in terms of roster/talent the past few years. As it is, I'm still worried because of the competition in the West and these close losses are killing us.

People knocking Frank...I get it but he, like Baynes, is overextended. It's like when Nash would be out for a few games and we'd start LB. All the weaknesses get magnified in a larger role with more minutes/responsibilities/expectations.

Also, we might be seeing the effects of extended international summer play with Rubio and Baynes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:59 am
If we were at full strength I'd be worried. But without Rubio, Ayton and Baynes we're almost back to square 1 in terms of roster/talent the past few years. As it is, I'm still worried because of the competition in the West and these close losses are killing us.

People knocking Frank...I get it but he, like Baynes, is overextended. It's like when Nash would be out for a few games and we'd start LB. All the weaknesses get magnified in a larger role with more minutes/responsibilities/expectations.

Also, we might be seeing the effects of extended international summer play with Rubio and Baynes.
Agreed. I am not really mad at the signing. If Frank were just our 4th or 5th big off the bench, it would be fine. Instead, he is starting and that kills us.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:41 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:59 am

Agreed. I am not really mad at the signing. If Frank were just our 4th or 5th big off the bench, it would be fine. Instead, he is starting and that kills us.
He’s not supposed to be starting, and he’s also not supposed to be playing center. He’s in way over his head.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Without Rubio and Baynes we are last years team...

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't get the take that Kaminsky isn't a center. There's a few folks in here that think that. Why? He has played center his whole career with a few stints at PF when the roster dictated it.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:42 am
I don't get the take that Kaminsky isn't a center. There's a few folks in here that think that. Why? He has played center his whole career with a few stints at PF when the roster dictated it.
Just because he’s played center doesn’t mean he’s a center dude.

This guy is not an NBA caliber rotation player, period. He’s running around with even heavier feet than David Johnson (didn’t know that was possible). He just can not keep up with the athleticism in this league. I really don’t want him playing in any role except 11th-12th man.

I’m growing real impatient with Saric too. He’s awful on defense as well due to his lack of athleticism.

I’d prefer we diminish their roles as soon as we’re healthy and play Bridges/Cam/Diallo more.