Game Day: Mavericks (11-6) @ Suns (8-9), Fri 11/29/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Game Day: Mavericks (11-6) @ Suns (8-9), Fri 11/29/19

Post by The Bobster »

Suns are now 5-7 at home.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:29 pm
7-4. Book was a lock for All-Star and Monty a COTY candidate. Feels like a lifetime ago.
MVP! MVP! MVP!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

It's trite, but people forget that it's an 82-game season.

The hustle and help defense that the Suns exhibited in the first 10 games or so needs to be an ongoing commitment.
That's what gets a team through shooting slumps that can occur in a game.

Booker has some talent around him, so he needs to take the next step and bring it every night.

I was a bit puzzled why Diallo did not play more.
Mavs bench outplayed the Suns bench.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:12 am
Still think the Mavs are overrated. Doncic is a monster, KP can be a matchup problem but doesn't always play hard or dominate. Not a fan of the rest of their role players.
Even with Porzingis having an off night, Mavs won. On the road. And their role players outplayed our role players.

If the Mavs are overrated, what does that say about the Suns?
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Guys, I am starting to think that maybe we should have taken Luka Doncic in the 2018 draft rather than DeAndre Ayton.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Disappointing loss. Doncic is definitely good. Ayton is pretty good too.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Let's see how Ayton looks in his second year before we start throwing dirt on him.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:45 am
I guess unicorns really are invisible.
Zingis is not a credible second option on a contender, but his presence was felt plenty on defense. Every time Booker drove to the basket and Porzingis was close, Booker wanted none of it. Overall Dallas did a great job at closing or crowding the paths to the rim. Anyway, Devin needs to find a better balance between not being a black hole and being too deferring.

Also, we can't afford to sit Baynes so his foul proneness is huge. Can't wait until Ayton is back. A real stain to this season, which could be going terrific but is slowing down at an alarming rate considering we play in the west (POR has won three straight and I can't count out SAS this early -they just beat LAC at full strength-). If we want to make the playoffs (or honestly just remain in the race), we need to add a piece using Tyler's contract and assets; if we don't, we'll see another 13-14 outcome, where the team is a nice surprise but not enough to endure a 82 games race.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:33 am
Let's see how Ayton looks in his second year before we start throwing dirt on him.
Absolutely. I am dying to see if Monty plays him next to Baynes. If you asked before the season what kind of player fits best alongside Ayton, my answer would have been a big with a presence on defense, strong on the boards and able to make a three. It's just that we (certainly not me) didn't know we had added such piece in Baynes.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:47 am
Suns are now 5-7 at home.
Such a missed opportunity to make real noise between Ayton and the injuries. Being two games under 50% doesn't feel right at all considering the way this team has played.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This was a disappointing loss, but was it really that surprising? I mean, Dallas has been on a roll lately and they've just about figured themselves out and gotten into a rhythm, whereas the Suns have had their 2nd best player get suspended for 25 games, and then when they caught teams off guard early in the season and played well with Rubio and Baynes, both get injured and are trying to get them back into the fold. They could very well win 6 of the next 8 and be .500 when Ayton gets back. This would have been a best case scenario at the beginning of the suspension and very well could happen now.

The Suns miss Ayton and the gravity that he provides. He will help Kaminsky play his natural backup PF role, he will take a lot of pressure off of Booker with his gravity and help give Rubio more options out there. If they can just hold out until he comes back and gets into the fold. Although, they probably need another creative threat at some point.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:19 pm
This was a disappointing loss, but was it really that surprising? I mean, Dallas has been on a roll lately and they've just about figured themselves out and gotten into a rhythm, whereas the Suns have had their 2nd best player get suspended for 25 games, and then when they caught teams off guard early in the season and played well with Rubio and Baynes, both get injured and are trying to get them back into the fold. They could very well win 6 of the next 8 and be .500 when Ayton gets back. This would have been a best case scenario at the beginning of the suspension and very well could happen now.

The Suns miss Ayton and the gravity that he provides. He will help Kaminsky play his natural backup PF role, he will take a lot of pressure off of Booker with his gravity and help give Rubio more options out there. If they can just hold out until he comes back and gets into the fold. Although, they probably need another creative threat at some point.
Gravity is working against me
And gravity wants to bring me down
Oh, I'll never known what makes this man
With all the love that his heart can stand
Dream of ways to throw it all away
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:28 pm
In2ition wrote:

John Mayer fan?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:46 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:28 pm
In2ition wrote:

John Mayer fan?
Meh. I've only been to 3 of his concerts. He's alright.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:26 am
Guys, I am starting to think that maybe we should have taken Luka Doncic in the 2018 draft rather than DeAndre Ayton.
That's helpful.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:33 am
Let's. Getting closer. Two weeks of basketball away.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:

I'm hoping this road trip starting on Monday is going to be good for the team.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:22 pm
In2ition wrote:

I'm hoping this road trip starting on Monday is going to be good for the team.
Same here.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

We are not in a position to pile on this team yet...Ayton and Jerome out are huge swing factors. Ayton for obvious reasons, but I really believe Ty's play is going to be a big swing factor also...keep the faith and quit ya bitchin' for another two weeks or so... :D

VT

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:14 pm
We are not in a position to pile on this team yet...Ayton and Jerome out are huge swing factors. Ayton for obvious reasons, but I really believe Ty's play is going to be a big swing factor also...keep the faith and quit ya bitchin' for another two weeks or so... :D

VT
Easy for you to say!
"Be Legendary."