Game Day: Grizzlies (7-16) @ Suns (11-12), Wed 12/11/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Game Day: Grizzlies (7-16) @ Suns (11-12), Wed 12/11/19

Post by SDC »

Shut Booker down.

Start Bridges at the 2.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 am
Shut Booker down.

Start Bridges at the 2.
If he's not right, I agree. I might start Cam there though.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Was thinking about this too if Book needs to miss any time. I might start Tyler Johnson in the backcourt with Rubio. He'd give us a secondary ballhandler, a shooter and someone who could penetrate and challenge the defense. Bridges and Cam can't provide all of those things just yet. Starting Tyler Johnson would also let us keep the bench in tact without messing up roles. You can still bring Jerome, Bridges, and Cam in same as always. Even if Tyler gets pulled quickly, Monty might like him with the starters just to help set a tone.

SDC

Post by SDC »

TJ ain't playing until after the 15th.

Put mikal at the 2 and start diallo over tank. Oubre can be the secondary ballhandler.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I just want to say that it felt like Brooks got a free pass last night to do whatever he wanted. I saw a lot of "stuff" he got away with throughout the game, not just with 28 secs left.

Imo, I thought the refs got both of the reviews wrong too. The Cam 3 should have counted as it happened as the foul was happening, and Dario did exactly what he's supposed to do, he challenged the shot, but stopped short of the 3 pt line, where the shooter(Crowder?) shot it from. Crowder does his damnedest to get calls on his 3 pt shot, yelling like he got hit everytime someone is close, whether they touch him or not. I just thought the refs were particularly poor last night. They had as bad of a night as the Suns did.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:19 am
:!:
Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:00 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:51 am
In the end it was our rebounding...55 rebounds to 44. That more than accounts for the 7 point differential. We only got 18 minutes out of Baynes...this is a case where if we had Ayton, despite the low FG%, odds are we would have won.

Also...our offense will improve from his presence, as he will draw more attention than just the PF lineup. Oubre, props...14 brds last night...
No. didn't you read saucey? He was worthless last night and didn't come to play.

And this seems crazy to say, but Booker, even with his 15/10 night, cost us the game. He was a minus 23, and just couldn't keep up. He was clearly in pain and playing through it, but we might have been better off sitting him last night.
:roll: Oubre loves his stats. Just watch next game every time his man touches the ball how easily he blows by him. He likes stats, not defense
:lol: You were riding him really hard last night.

He had some big rebounds for us last night. He was battling for them. I agree he is not a good overall defender, just like Book, or Frank, or Dario. Hell, 4/5 of our starting lineup lately isn't good at defense.

But Oubre wasn't the problem last night. When your starting SF goes 5-13, and he has two other starters shooting worse than him for the game, had 30% of your team's total rebounds, and 100% of your blocks (4!), he isn't the problem. Plenty of nights he is, but not last night.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

26% from 3’s.

39%. Shooting overall.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:11 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
In the end it was our rebounding...55 rebounds to 44. That more than accounts for the 7 point differential. We only got 18 minutes out of Baynes...this is a case where if we had Ayton, despite the low FG%, odds are we would have won.

Also...our offense will improve from his presence, as he will draw more attention than just the PF lineup. Oubre, props...14 brds last night...
No. didn't you read saucey? He was worthless last night and didn't come to play.

And this seems crazy to say, but Booker, even with his 15/10 night, cost us the game. He was a minus 23, and just couldn't keep up. He was clearly in pain and playing through it, but we might have been better off sitting him last night.
:roll: Oubre loves his stats. Just watch next game every time his man touches the ball how easily he blows by him. He likes stats, not defense

He had some big rebounds for us last night. He was battling for them. I agree he is not a good overall defender, just like Book, or Frank, or Dario. Hell, 4/5 of our starting lineup lately isn't good at defense.

But Oubre wasn't the problem last night. When your starting SF goes 5-13, and he has two other starters shooting worse than him for the game, had 30% of your team's total rebounds, and 100% of your blocks (4!), he isn't the problem. Plenty of nights he is, but not last night.
He’s certainly not the solution either. He’s being paid a pretty penny and with that come expectations. He was billed last year as all defense and energy.

Bookers effort on the defensive end has been much better this year. Darios shortcomings are not effort related. Kelly goes off into space mentally on the defensive end and then tries to make up for it by cheating for a steal or catching up for a block, but frequently he just flat out gets beat.

If you’re going to be the “energy” role player, then be good at that, at least.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:02 pm
Of course, the refs never saw this last night.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:07 pm
I just want to say that it felt like Brooks got a free pass last night to do whatever he wanted. I saw a lot of "stuff" he got away with throughout the game, not just with 28 secs left.

Imo, I thought the refs got both of the reviews wrong too. The Cam 3 should have counted as it happened as the foul was happening, and Dario did exactly what he's supposed to do, he challenged the shot, but stopped short of the 3 pt line, where the shooter(Crowder?) shot it from. Crowder does his damnedest to get calls on his 3 pt shot, yelling like he got hit everytime someone is close, whether they touch him or not. I just thought the refs were particularly poor last night. They had as bad of a night as the Suns did.
That flagrant was bullshit. I agree with protecting a shooter’s landing, but on the condition he jumps straight up and down. If a shooter shoots from outside the 3 point line and lands inside of it how can a defender reasonably expect to cover that shot?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:09 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:07 pm

That flagrant was bullshit. I agree with protecting a shooter’s landing, but on the condition he jumps straight up and down. If a shooter shoots from outside the 3 point line and lands inside of it how can a defender reasonably expect to cover that shot?
this

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:09 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:11 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

He’s certainly not the solution either. He’s being paid a pretty penny and with that come expectations. He was billed last year as all defense and energy.

Bookers effort on the defensive end has been much better this year. Darios shortcomings are not effort related. Kelly goes off into space mentally on the defensive end and then tries to make up for it by cheating for a steal or catching up for a block, but frequently he just flat out gets beat.

If you’re going to be the “energy” role player, then be good at that, at least.
I care more about result, not effort or how less bad it is this year. If you needed a stop 1 on 1, I would take Kelly over Book every time.

But I agree that he is likely not a long-term solution for us at 3 if we don't have a good defensive 4.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:09 pm
I don't think he was ever billed as "all defense." Zack Lowe even had an article pointing out how he can fall asleep on defense. But Oubre still is a defensive playmaker, meaning he can make significant plays on the defensive end that can help the team's defense. That doesn't mean he is a lockdown defender or even a great defender.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

He’s a lazy defender. Booker and Ayton need to be surrounded by D. Bridges is that. Oubre is a poor fit

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:02 pm
He’s a lazy defender. Booker and Ayton need to be surrounded by D. Bridges is that. Oubre is a poor fit
I think that's uncharitable to him. He's not a consistently excellent defender, but he is above average and a net positive on D overall IMO.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Oubre may lack defensive fundamentals, but I don't think he's lazy.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s far from lazy...he’s just a ball watcher and loses his man sometimes

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

He’s lazy. He plays defense with his hands instead of his feet. That’s lazy

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m not sure what you’re seeing, but I’m not seeing the same thing.