Game Day: Blazers (10-16) @ Suns (11-14), Mon 12/16/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Blazers (10-16) @ Suns (11-14), Mon 12/16/19

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:33 pm
Boy...this really hurts. Ruined my damn night
This team had a habit of doing that lately.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:35 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:33 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:26 pm
That's a blocking foul. He wasn't there before Lillard took off.
Irregardless, the refs have been s*** this game.
Complaining about the refs is lazy and tired. They were shafting the Blazers for basically the entire first quarter.

They're bad most nights. All that can be done is accept it and worry about things like the wide open three pointer Rubio missed at the buzzer.
I'll just take the shafting from time to time in stride instead of playing the lazy and tired card. This is the NBA. I've got a daughter to tend to now. More important things than fuming over another loss we could have avoided. Lots of dumb plays and stupid clock management by our coach at the end.
Congratulations, AIG!!!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

djy2j wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:55 pm
f*** Dame for taunting the crowd at the end. You’re on an underachieving 11-16 team. f*** all the way off. Go make another lame ass mixtape.
I wanted to karate chop him in the throat. Poor sportsmanship, that’s for sure.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Dame barely beat a team without its top two players and was bailed out by a 50/50 call which could just as well been a charge instead of an And1. Good fight Suns! They’re ready to pick up things promptly once fully staffed and healthy. I like the Blazers but they need only to blame themselves for their sh!tty play.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

djy2j wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:59 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:28 pm
Ayton's back.

Whole new ballgame now.
I’m hopeful but I don’t expect a different result tomorrow. I’m not going to put all my chips in on Ayton until he does something meaningful.

I hope he gives the Suns a much needed boost, both mental and physical but I’m not really counting on him to be on fire out of the gate. It’s not really the Ayton way.
I'm not putting all my chips on Ayton either, but 28-30 minutes of Ayton is better than none and could've been the difference in a lot of these past 20+ games. Interior presence, better finishing around the basket, more depth up front. Even last year's version of Ayton (which we might just get) will be a positive. Also giving Ayton a 5-7 game buffer to work out any rust and get his wind back.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:23 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:28 pm
Another winnable game lost.
Missing our two best players doesn’t help.
Can't wait to have both of them back.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The fact that we've been competitive without Ayton, Rubio and Baynes for stretches and now Book for a few games speaks volumes. Crazy that some have complaints.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:02 am
Crazy that some have complaints.
We’ve lost 11 of 15. Pretty unsurprising that some fans are getting frustrated and griping, no matter what the circumstances.

On 538, which does take injuries and suspensions into account, our playoff odds have plummeted from a high of 70% to just 21%.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

This is one of the more frustrating games for me. There have been a few where I feel that one of the guys drafted after Cam would have helped us more than Cam does. It's nothing against Cam, but we don't really need a SF playing out of position. We need a PF or backup SG, and Washington, Herro, NAW, and Clarke were all on the board. Clarke would have been a difference maker inside and on the boards last night.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really hope things improve when we get Ayton and Booker back in the lineup. It's been tough watching us give away so many close winnable games. We urgently need one or two guys who can get us a big basket in the last minute of a game, and Booker/Ayton should provide that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We blew a triple-double by Rubio. 10 points, 11 rebounds, 14 assists. But only 4-14 shooting, and missed the last shot we needed.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161042

Hey, isn't Kelly Oubre supposed to suck? He led us with 24 points on 10-21 shooting. (No rebounds, though.)

Baynes had that tough foul near the end, but what a great game overall. Such a steadying presence. 5-6 shooting, 13 points.

I continue to be impressed by the slow and steady improvement of Cam Johnson. 13 points on 5-8 shooting (3-6 from 3), 3 rebounds, 3 assists. He just does good things when you leave him out there, and you can never leave him alone. Replacing Bridges in that role.

I have to admit that I was surprised by how frisky Melo was. 23 points on 8-16 shooting. We could have defended him better, but I just thought those kind of games were mostly behind him. Blazers overall had horrible production from their bench; nobody outside their starters got more than 4 points.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:27 pm
djy2j wrote:
f*** Dame for taunting the crowd at the end. You’re on an underachieving 11-16 team. f*** all the way off. Go make another lame ass mixtape.
You have no idea what he might have been hearing from the crowd. If they are talking shit and saying awful things to him, I have no problem if he did that. You can totally see Kelly doing that to another team in the situation, right?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:40 am
We blew a triple-double by Rubio. 10 points, 11 rebounds, 14 assists. But only 4-14 shooting, and missed the last shot we needed.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161042

Hey, isn't Kelly Oubre supposed to suck? He led us with 24 points on 10-21 shooting. (No rebounds, though.)

Baynes had that tough foul near the end, but what a great game overall. Such a steadying presence. 5-6 shooting, 13 points.

I continue to be impressed by the slow and steady improvement of Cam Johnson. 13 points on 5-8 shooting (3-6 from 3), 3 rebounds, 3 assists. He just does good things when you leave him out there, and you can never leave him alone. Replacing Bridges in that role.

I have to admit that I was surprised by how frisky Melo was. 23 points on 8-16 shooting. We could have defended him better, but I just thought those kind of games were mostly behind him. Blazers overall had horrible production from their bench; nobody outside their starters got more than 4 points.
He still can be pretty good on offense. Just can't really do much on the other side, and if you don't have a strong defender on him, he can go off. Not efficiently, but still get buckets.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:43 am
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:
You have no idea what he might have been hearing from the crowd. If they are talking s*** and saying awful things to him, I have no problem if he did that. You can totally see Kelly doing that to another team in the situation, right?
Beat a team missing their 2 top players. A team that was 10-15 at the start of the night. A team that hasn’t made the playoffs in what feels like a billion years. What are you showing off? He was scanning the entire crowd when they showed him so I didn’t see it as a reaction to something that was said. Kelly’s antics can be a bit much but I don’t remember seeing him doing pushups at someone. Dame’s still living off his playoff shot against OKC last year. Probably the most hel accomplish on the Blazers.

I guess my point is we’ve had it rubbed in our faces enough. Taunt the players if you want. The fans don’t deserve it.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:32 am
This is one of the more frustrating games for me. There have been a few where I feel that one of the guys drafted after Cam would have helped us more than Cam does. It's nothing against Cam, but we don't really need a SF playing out of position. We need a PF or backup SG, and Washington, Herro, NAW, and Clarke were all on the board. Clarke would have been a difference maker inside and on the boards last night.
I think Cam is the least of our problems. If anything, he's been a real positive lately for us. How's he doing in comparison to some of the other players around his draft spot? I haven't really been following much else around the league.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cam's been great. Everybody is swooning about Brandon Clarke, and I wish we could have gotten him (or both!), but Cam has had excellent improvement in the past month or so. I really like the way he's playing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

djy2j wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:32 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:43 am
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:
You have no idea what he might have been hearing from the crowd. If they are talking s*** and saying awful things to him, I have no problem if he did that. You can totally see Kelly doing that to another team in the situation, right?
Beat a team missing their 2 top players. A team that was 10-15 at the start of the night. A team that hasn’t made the playoffs in what feels like a billion years. What are you showing off? He was scanning the entire crowd when they showed him so I didn’t see it as a reaction to something that was said. Kelly’s antics can be a bit much but I don’t remember seeing him doing pushups at someone. Dame’s still living off his playoff shot against OKC last year. Probably the most hel accomplish on the Blazers.

I guess my point is we’ve had it rubbed in our faces enough. Taunt the players if you want. The fans don’t deserve it.
I get it. I guess I am just more pissed that we gave away another game in a year we can't afford to give away games. It isn't like last year anymore where we will be happy to just see some growth in our young guys and beat a good team every once in a while. That was a game we need to win, and the players even said right before the game they were going to treat it as a "must win." Welp.

Also didn't help that I stayed up until almost midnight to watch that game after spending 4 hours driving home yesterday from a family trip. I was pissed enough at the team where I might have done what Dame did, but to the Suns bench.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"I was pissed enough at the team where I might have done what Dame did, but to the Suns bench."

Haven't been getting much production from Tyler Johnson or Ty Jerome.
The supposed odd man out, Elie Okobo, has been better, although not world-shaking.

Also wondering about the DNPs for Cheik Diallo ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:29 pm
"I was pissed enough at the team where I might have done what Dame did, but to the Suns bench."

Haven't been getting much production from Tyler Johnson or Ty Jerome.
The supposed odd man out, Elie Okobo, has been better, although not world-shaking.

Also wondering about the DNPs for Cheik Diallo ...
I meant the entire team, not just the 2nd/3rd unit. It wasn't worded well.

Last time I saw the TPA numbers, Tyler Johnson was just god-awful for us. Last place by a mile. Far enough down where I would assume he is near the bottom of the league.

Surprisingly, Elie and Cam were decent. At least close to zero. Bridges was low in points added, but highest in points saved. I am not made at our bench guys--I think they have done a good job, for the most part.

The Diallo DNPs are interesting.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:53 am
Cam's been great. Everybody is swooning about Brandon Clarke, and I wish we could have gotten him (or both!), but Cam has had excellent improvement in the past month or so. I really like the way he's playing.
He avgs 2/5 from 3 per game, makes smart plays, he’s got height and foot speed difficult to guard. I only wish Bridges had his stroke. Clarke was no guarantee either. I think Cam will grow into a significant 6th man on a winning team— in the least.