Game Day: Nuggets (19-8) @ Suns (11-18), Mon 12/23/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: Game Day: Nuggets (19-8) @ Suns (11-18), Mon 12/23/19

Post by iLLmatic »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:29 pm
I've seen enough of Frank Kaminsky to last me a lifetime.
You don't like the big nose?

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:52 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:33 pm
I’ve seen enough of Montys coaching in close games. Why sub Bridges and Cam out when they were reason #1 and 2 for us going on the huge run with their defense and shooting?

I’ve seen enough of Bookers poor attitude and stagnant play. He has not grown as a player in 2 years.
He’s regressed. He consistently is outplayed by the other teams guards every single night. He’s not an All Star. He’s not even a top 30 player in this league.

I’d be shopping Booker around the league. He’s peaked as a player. I’d look to acquire a package surrounding Holiday and draft picks in a trade for Booker, or to Minny in a three way deal with another team.

Don’t tell me it’s because he’s doubled. Every teams star player gets doubled every night. He’s the only one that is e easiest “star” to shut down.
I think that's a bit of an overaction, on top of the fact that he's on a max deal. He looked pretty dominant early in the season. I'm more concerned he's trying to play through an injury that he should be resting. Clearly something isn't right. And you don't just go from a dominant offensive player, arguably a top 10, top 15 scorer in the league to playing the way he's been playing lately just because you suck, you've peaked, you're a 23 year old on the decline. Something is wrong.
Booker for Jrue works straight up, 4 more yrs vs 2 yrs after this one ...would you do it though? I wouldn't.

Get a third team involved, get rid of TJ in the process, so it doesn't look like a straight Booker / Jrue swap and I'd be open to a trade.

Seems to me Monty preaches share ball where booker has 4 years of playing solo ball and that's a problem..

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

When there is literally no other scorer on the floor with him, how is Book expected to rise above being trapped and doubled? He’s not that type of guy and definitely can’t carry the team unless he gets into a decent rhythm. He doesn’t have the step back shot the way Doncic or Harden have. Perhaps when other players are rolling enough Book is enabled more.

3rdside

Game Day: Nuggets (19-8) @ Suns (11-18), Mon 12/23/19

Post by 3rdside »

I’d rather keep him with his shooting splits on top of his assists, so maybe a bit of leeway while he continues to adjust, but he is a max guy so he’s got to do better.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:38 am
When there is literally no other scorer on the floor with him, how is Book expected to rise above being trapped and doubled? He’s not that type of guy and definitely can’t carry the team unless he gets into a decent rhythm. He doesn’t have the step back shot the way Doncic or Harden have. Perhaps when other players are rolling enough Book is enabled more.
Book is a max player because he’s a scorer right? He’s not great at anything else.

So now you’re telling me our franchise scorer can be completely shut down by doubling, and I tell you that’s a sixth man then.

Harden, Curry, Lillard, all these guys split or anticipate and blow past double teams. This is excuse city.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:32 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I’ve seen enough of Montys coaching in close games. Why sub Bridges and Cam out when they were reason #1 and 2 for us going on the huge run with their defense and shooting?

I’ve seen enough of Bookers poor attitude and stagnant play. He has not grown as a player in 2 years.
He’s regressed. He consistently is outplayed by the other teams guards every single night. He’s not an All Star. He’s not even a top 30 player in this league.

I’d be shopping Booker around the league. He’s peaked as a player. I’d look to acquire a package surrounding Holiday and draft picks in a trade for Booker, or to Minny in a three way deal with another team.

Don’t tell me it’s because he’s doubled. Every teams star player gets doubled every night. He’s the only one that is e easiest “star” to shut down.
I think that's a bit of an overaction, on top of the fact that he's on a max deal. He looked pretty dominant early in the season. I'm more concerned he's trying to play through an injury that he should be resting. Clearly something isn't right. And you don't just go from a dominant offensive player, arguably a top 10, top 15 scorer in the league to playing the way he's been playing lately just because you suck, you've peaked, you're a 23 year old on the decline. Something is wrong.
Booker for Jrue works straight up, 4 more yrs vs 2 yrs after this one ...would you do it though? I wouldn't.

Get a third team involved, get rid of TJ in the process, so it doesn't look like a straight Booker / Jrue swap and I'd be open to a trade.

Seems to me Monty preaches share ball where booker has 4 years of playing solo ball and that's a problem..
The scheme is not the problem.

Even when Book has tried to take over he’s taken bad shots, missed good looks, and I can’t count how many times he’s been wild on a fastbreak pushing the ball and turned it over like a big man trying to do too much.

This is not on anyone else but him. Simply put, he just needs to be better. Last year the excuse was he didn’t have a PG or shooters around him.

Rubio scores over 20 last night. Bridges and Cam both made multiple 3s. This is Bookers team. If he’s not the best player on the court the majority of nights, we go nowhere.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:21 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Book is a max player because he’s a scorer right? He’s not great at anything else.

So now you’re telling me our franchise scorer can be completely shut down by doubling, and I tell you that’s a sixth man then.

Harden, Curry, Lillard, all these guys split or anticipate and blow past double teams. This is excuse city.
So you'd ship out Book and Oubre, eh? For Jrue and other pieces? P.U.

SDC

Post by SDC »

3rdside wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Trade Booker for dragic Winslow, and herro.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All I can say is that I'm glad some of you folks are not working in the front office.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

specialsauce wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:

You just mentioned three ball handlers. Booker compares more to Klay Thompson, a max non-ball-handler player. Both are #2's, not #1's. But both are still max players. Klay is a better defender, Booker is a better scorer.
If we want Booker to take guys one on one, which he can do, then Monty needs to step sending high screens all the time. And Booker needs to attack the screen better (attack the big coming over). He has done it before, but he needs to hone that skill and actually use it if they insist on screening for him as a ball-handler instead of a shooter.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:27 am
All I can say is that I'm glad some of you folks are not working in the front office.
+1

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Booker hate is a little ridiculous. He can’t have a few bad games coming off an injury? Also, if you think guys like Harden and Lillard don’t have bad games, then you’re not paying attention.

Also, Harden/Lillard shouldn’t be how we measure Booker. I would love for him to get to their level, but he’s not there and hasn’t ever been there.

I’m not saying booker doesn’t shoulder some blame for our current struggles, but the amount of blame he’s getting on here is ridiculous. Funny thing is if 1 or 2 plays go our way, we win the POR/SA/DEN games and we’re 3-4 instead of 0-7 and people wouldn’t be complaining nearly as much. It’s a long season, we’re definitely in a bad stretch, but the playoffs are still very well in reach.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:11 am
Mori Chu wrote:
+1
+2

Love Jrue, but trading Booker for him is ridiculous. NO would be ecstatic with that trade.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Mori Chu wrote:
As if they could do much worse then the product we have been subjected to for the last decade.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

This. How quickly they turn.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

specialsauce wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:

In the history of max contracts and so called max players, your expectations don’t fit reality.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just love threads that turn into lets trade everybody threads....

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:32 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:

In the history of max contracts and so called max players, your expectations don’t fit reality.
Par for course on the overreaction. I've learned to not let it get me too riled up anymore.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:41 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:32 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:

Par for course on the overreaction. I've learned to not let it get me too riled up anymore.
same. in the same game day thread you will see people screaming to trade someone for peanuts in the first quarter, then praising them as amazing in the third. It is funny.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:25 am
3rdside wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

The scheme is not the problem.

Even when Book has tried to take over he’s taken bad shots, missed good looks, and I can’t count how many times he’s been wild on a fastbreak pushing the ball and turned it over like a big man trying to do too much.

This is not on anyone else but him. Simply put, he just needs to be better. Last year the excuse was he didn’t have a PG or shooters around him.

Rubio scores over 20 last night. Bridges and Cam both made multiple 3s. This is Bookers team. If he’s not the best player on the court the majority of nights, we go nowhere.
I haven't watched every minute of every game this year, but close. And I don't remember him losing the ball on a fast break more than 2-3 times this year. Would love to see someone with the player tracking data figure this out...