Suns News: Week 10 12/30-1/5

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 10 12/30-1/5

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:14 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:09 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 pm
I don’t think y’all are giving Chriss enough credit. He’s been an nba player this year. He’s rebounded, he’s moved the ball, he’s blocked shots and gotten steals. I haven’t watched enough warriors games to know how he’s looked on the court, but he’s 3rd on the team in PER, 4th in TS%, 3rd in WS, 3rd in VORP. Golden State sucks, but he was useful for them.
Then why let him go?
He isn't worth what they are paying him? Or there are 15 guys worth more than him on the worst team in the league.
Neither actually. Warriors are hard capped, Chriss is the only player with a non guaranteed contract. In order to keep Damion Lee, releasing Chriss was their only feasible option.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
I don’t think y’all are giving Chriss enough credit. He’s been an nba player this year. He’s rebounded, he’s moved the ball, he’s blocked shots and gotten steals. I haven’t watched enough warriors games to know how he’s looked on the court, but he’s 3rd on the team in PER, 4th in TS%, 3rd in WS, 3rd in VORP. Golden State sucks, but he was useful for them.
Then why let him go?
He isn't worth what they are paying him? Or there are 15 guys worth more than him on the worst team in the league.
Neither actually. Warriors are hard capped, Chriss is the only player with a non guaranteed contract. In order to keep Damion Lee, releasing Chriss was their only feasible option.
I don't get your logic.

So, what does this say about the Warriors, Draymond?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:56 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Then why let him go?
I don't get your logic.

So, what does this say about the Warriors, Draymond?
It’s not my logic. It’s the NBA’s cap rules. GS is hard capped and at the max roster size. They waived the non guaranteed contract of Alfonso Mckinnie at the start of the year to get Chriss on the roster. Damion Lee has been playing on a 2-way deal and only had 2 days left before he’d have to go back to the g league. He’s become their starting SG, so they needed to keep him.

In order to keep him they need to free up a roster space and not add any additional salary. They can’t just waive anyone because their 14 other players have guaranteed contracts...they’d still have to pay them. Chriss is non guaranteed. So they can waive him and free up both the roster spot and cap space to sign Lee.

It’s possible they make a trade to free up the roster spot and space, but that’s more complicated. Chriss wasn’t cut because he was the least useful player, he was cut because he was less useful than Lee.

And nothing Draymond said was untrue...except the part about Phoenix writers not bashing the team...that did happen.

And comparing the warriors having a bad season to the suns 10 year run of incompetence is pretty funny. The warriors are bad this year because they had no depth and lost Klay and Steph to season ending injuries and have had their other two key guys miss significant time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:18 pm
And nothing Draymond said was untrue...except the part about Phoenix writers not bashing the team...that did happen.
OK, so the Warriors are a shitty franchise. Got it.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:58 pm
Split T wrote:
OK, so the Warriors are a s*** franchise. Got it.
You’re assuming Chriss failed in GS. My point is he didn’t. He was an unfortunate cap casualty. Go ahead and keep hating on Chriss though if it makes you feel better.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:58 pm
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
You’re assuming Chriss failed in GS. My point is he didn’t. He was an unfortunate cap casualty. Go ahead and keep hating on Chriss though if it makes you feel better.
If he was that important and worth keeping they would have figured out a way.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Terrific picks Ryan lol.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:19 pm
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
I’m not arguing for him being a key piece. Just that he was not a failure. He played well. Yes he’s still expendable. I would not be surprised if they resign him for next season though.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:19 pm
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
I HATED the Chriss pick, but even I can admit Split is right. That doesn't mean that Chriss was a good pick, or that he doesn't bear any of the responsibility for his lack of success here.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.