Suns News: Week 10 12/30-1/5

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 10 12/30-1/5

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 am
Chriss was having a decent year...GS had to cut him to convert Damion Lee’s two way deal into a full contract. Lee has been really good for them. Would not be surprised if someone else picks Chriss up. His per 36 numbers were 15/11/4 with 1.8 blocks and 1.2 steals. He was getting to the ft line at a career best rate and making them at 76%. His 3 pt shooting had continued to regress, but shooting 48% overall, another career high. He’s still only 22. I think he’s an nba player...probably needed another 2 years in college or g league before coming to the NBA. That’s the danger of drafting guys on potential and not having a system in place to develop them.

Bender was just named g league player of the week. Jackson is averaging like 20/8/4 on .45/.37 shooting splits in the g league. Maybe McD should be a G league GM?
Well, I guess that is the next best option when you NBA GM tenure is graded as an F.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I still think Bender and Chriss are NBA players. They are just examples of guys hurt by the current system that rushes guys into the league when they're 18-19 years old and not really ready. Maybe a few years of seasoning and development will get them where they need to be.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:23 pm
Funny that at the time everyone was saying you can’t win playing small and fast and shooting so many 3’s. Turns out we lost because we didn’t play fast enough or shoot enough 3’s. Well that and because Stern and the refs hated us.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:22 am
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:23 pm
Funny that at the time everyone was saying you can’t win playing small and fast and shooting so many 3’s. Turns out we lost because we didn’t play fast enough or shoot enough 3’s. Well that and because Stern and the refs hated us.
To be clear, they hated Sarver, not us.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:18 am
I still think Bender and Chriss are NBA players. They are just examples of guys hurt by the current system that rushes guys into the league when they're 18-19 years old and not really ready. Maybe a few years of seasoning and development will get them where they need to be.
I am not sure where you get better seasoning than playing against real NBA players for +3 years. Do you mean that maybe when they are 27/28 they will finally be ready to be equal to a replacement player in the league?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
You're in love with Bender Mori. It's almost as bad as your crush on Rubio.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
1000+

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You'll see. Dragan Bender will be the MVP of the 2035 All-Star game and I'll have the last laugh.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:41 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
I am not sure where you get better seasoning than playing against real NBA players for +3 years. Do you mean that maybe when they are 27/28 they will finally be ready to be equal to a replacement player in the league?
I don’t know that that’s true. While you’re still developing fundamental skills, it’s probably better to play against other people who are more on your level. Sure, some players when faced with a huge skill disparity will respond by learning how to close that gap, but many players will just lose confidence and not progress.

So combine that with the absolute shit show that was our organization(gm, coaching, players) it’s not hard to see why these guys failed. Of course, they shoulder a lot of the blame as well, but I’m not going to write them off. I think we’ll still see all 3 of them in the nba again. Will they ever be major, important pieces? Doubtful, but I do think we’ll see them at some point. They’re still only 22, younger than Cam, Bridges, etc.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I would bet you see Dragan oversees next year and probably won't come back. Chriss will probably be split between G-leauge and call ups here and there, but never stick with a team. Josh will lead his prison league in TOs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:13 pm
Josh will lead his prison league in TOs.
Ouch!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
I would bet you see Dragan oversees next year and probably won't come back. Chriss will probably be split between G-leauge and call ups here and there, but never stick with a team. Josh will lead his prison league in TOs.
Haha, you could be right. Especially on Dragan...him going to Europe and staying does seem likely.

I think Chriss may bounce around a bit, but he’s a useful player. He’s no difference maker, but he’s played well this year. Well enough to be a 10th/11th man. With his age and potential, someone will sign him. I expect someone will sign him this year.

JJ is a big question mark. He’s obviously talented enough to play. His off court behavior will be what really decides his fate.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Chriss and Josh Jackson remind me of Stephen Jackson. Remember when Colangelo (or maybe the coaches?) had to intervene with him because he wanted his pay in cash? I don't remember the details, just that there was some kind of altercation with an office worker in the Suns org because he didn't have a bank account and they only pay via direct deposit.

Anyway, my point is that for Chriss and Jackson, it's mostly a matter of social and emotional maturity. They may get there - and a new situation might be just what they need to help them grow up out of the spotlight.

Bender just looks to me like he doesn't want to compete at the NBA level. He just doesn't want to play with that level of intensity.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

My thinking that Chriss will just be a bubble guy is because he has looked passable as an 11th man on the worst team in the league. That defines borderline player to me.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Chriss was horrible in college and had red flags coming into the league. He'll be in Europe next if he's lucky. Same with Bender. Josh Jackson...too soon.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think y’all are giving Chriss enough credit. He’s been an nba player this year. He’s rebounded, he’s moved the ball, he’s blocked shots and gotten steals. I haven’t watched enough warriors games to know how he’s looked on the court, but he’s 3rd on the team in PER, 4th in TS%, 3rd in WS, 3rd in VORP. Golden State sucks, but he was useful for them.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 pm
I don’t think y’all are giving Chriss enough credit. He’s been an nba player this year. He’s rebounded, he’s moved the ball, he’s blocked shots and gotten steals. I haven’t watched enough warriors games to know how he’s looked on the court, but he’s 3rd on the team in PER, 4th in TS%, 3rd in WS, 3rd in VORP. Golden State sucks, but he was useful for them.
Then why let him go?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:09 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 pm
Then why let him go?
He isn't worth what they are paying him? Or there are 15 guys worth more than him on the worst team in the league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm
Indy wrote:
Ouch!
Speaking of which, when do I begin my avatar shaming? I bet Cap or Indy that JJ would be better than KP. It's safe to say that even if KP never played another game, I've lost that bet.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm
Indy wrote:
Ouch!
Speaking of which, when do I begin my avatar shaming? I bet Cap or Indy that JJ would be better than KP. It's safe to say that even if KP never played another game, I've lost that bet.
Although, to your credit, KP hasn't been that good either. I remember at one time I was ready to move mountains to get him on the Suns next to Booker.
"Be Legendary."