Suns News: Week 10 12/30-1/5

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: Week 10 12/30-1/5

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:02 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:52 am
I like Love a lot but wouldn't want to give up too much for him, given his huge contract and injury history. I'd give up Tyler Johnson, a young player, and a pick; that seems fair. I don't think I would want Drummond because he doesn't pair well with Ayton, unless you think Ayton will become a 3-point shooter and space the floor, which seems like a waste of his talents to me.
Ayton desperately wants them to let him start shooting threes and has been working on it for a long time. It's going to happen eventually no matter whether we like it or not. Ayton would love being the stretch 4 next to Drummond.
Ayton can shoot 3s all he wants once he develops his interior game. He isn't going to become great launching threes. The foundation of his dominance is going to be inside the arc, not outside.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
I like Love a lot but wouldn't want to give up too much for him, given his huge contract and injury history. I'd give up Tyler Johnson, a young player, and a pick; that seems fair.
Giving up a 2020 1st rounder in that deal would be awful. Giving up 1st rounders while taking on massive amounts of salary while NOT getting a superstar in return is horrendous general managing 101. So I guess this is the type of move I would expect the Suns to make.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:00 pm
Giving up a 2020 1st rounder in that deal would be awful. Giving up 1st rounders while taking on massive amounts of salary while NOT getting a superstar in return is horrendous general managing 101. So I guess this is the type of move I would expect the Suns to make.
I wouldn't give them our 2020 1st rounder. But I might give them 2022, say. Or if we have some other team's 1st, I might give that up. Or agree to a pick swap.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Small sample (only 5 games) but Ayton is allowing a league best 40% on shots closer than 6ft, once you filter for some relevant frequency per game (5 attempts defended):

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-d ... r%20Season

Now combine that with Ayton's allowed 3pt%, under the same parameters, which is a league best 17.4%:

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-d ... PCT&dir=-1

There are real, tangible reasons to be optimistic that Ayton can make a huge impact in the game. If he ever acquires a taste for blood instead of just talking about it...

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Galo and Love are both injury-prone and have massive contracts.

Build through wise drafting and free agents with something to prove.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:33 pm
Galo and Love are both injury-prone and have massive contracts.

Build through wise drafting and free agents with something to prove.
At least Gallo's contract expires this yr, so very much less massive.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:26 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:00 pm
I wouldn't give them our 2020 1st rounder. But I might give them 2022, say. Or if we have some other team's 1st, I might give that up. Or agree to a pick swap.
I agree with Informer, I wouldn't give up a 1st unless it had heavy heavy protection and an expiration date. They will be lucky to get that much salary relief, but I'm sure they feel like he should command 6 unprotected 1sts, a budding All-Star and a couple promising young players.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Understood. But it's a short-term fix. I'd rather management continue to develop Cam Johnson and Bridges.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:48 pm
Understood. But it's a short-term fix. I'd rather management continue to develop Cam Johnson and Bridges.
I agree with developing Bridges and Cam, but they are pretty light for the 4 right now. At least Gallo would be a rent to own type situation as he may be the most realistic PF option for the Suns next yr.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Baynes gets the BdotAdot5 treatment.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:18 pm
He looks like a toddler learning how to shoot a basketball.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:30 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:18 pm
He looks like a toddler learning how to shoot a basketball.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I gotta say, Eddie Johnson’s crusade against 3s and analytics this season has been the most annoying thing about the Suns broadcast by a mile.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:56 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
I like Love a lot but wouldn't want to give up too much for him, given his huge contract and injury history. I'd give up Tyler Johnson, a young player, and a pick; that seems fair. I don't think I would want Drummond because he doesn't pair well with Ayton, unless you think Ayton will become a 3-point shooter and space the floor, which seems like a waste of his talents to me.
Ayton desperately wants them to let him start shooting threes and has been working on it for a long time. It's going to happen eventually no matter whether we like it or not. Ayton would love being the stretch 4 next to Drummond.
Ayton can shoot 3s all he wants once he develops his interior game. He isn't going to become great launching threes. The foundation of his dominance is going to be inside the arc, not outside.
I agree with you 100% and yet this organization hasn’t a clue.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:46 pm
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
He has plenty of time to develop the 3 pt shot. Playing D, grabbing boards, running the floor, getting pick and pops mid range is enough to hang 20+ per night. If he wants more then he needs to learn to get to the line 6+ times per game.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I would like to see the Suns make a move for Juan Hernangomez.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:46 pm
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
I don't think it is only on the org here. He gets touches in the games, and instead of making something happen, he shots long 2s. Use your athleticism and your generational talent and get to the fucking basket to get a hoop or get fouled... OR BOTH! He has a single "And 1" in 178 minutes.

For front court comparison, Saric has played 5 times as many minutes, but has 13 times as many And 1s. Frank has played 4 times as many minutes and has 9 times as many And 1s. Baynes has 3.6 times as many minutes and has 6 times as many And 1s. It is ridiculous how lackadaisical Ayton is.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:04 pm
I gotta say, Eddie Johnson’s crusade against 3s and analytics this season has been the most annoying thing about the Suns broadcast by a mile.
Legit. He bitches about 3s even when the Suns take a 2.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I thought we traded the 2020 1st for Baynes and Ty Jerome?

As for trading Tyler Johnson - I don't hate the idea of a mid term player. Not every player on the team needs to be in our 10 year plan.

Love is a risk if he doesn't get us to the playoffs. But if he does, it's like bringing in Tom Chambers. He may not be an impact plyer by the time the Suns compete for a ring, but he may help the org compete enough to build championship players. We certainly need another player who can create offense. But holy crap that contract is crazy. Just crazy.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:10 am
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:04 pm
Legit. He bitches about 3s even when the Suns take a 2.
Must really hate guys like James Harden and Steph Curry.