Around the League: Week 10 12/30-1/5

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: Week 10 12/30-1/5

Post by In2ition »

I thought this was interesting.

I would propose that they change the number of challenges a team gets based on the number of net wrong calls were made for a team in the previous 2 minute reports that come out. Of course, they only review the last 2 minutes, and only in games that are within 3 pts, so it wouldn't help all the time. But at least you could end up banking a bunch if a team gets essentially screwed over time, like the Suns have been.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:19 pm
I could be proven wrong in time, but I don't think a swap of Ayton for Drummond would be good for the Suns in the long run. I would definitely be opposed to a move like that.
Yeah. I don't get it at all. All of the concerns around building a team with Ayton as a centerpiece are present as well for Drummond who comes with a $30M/year price tag. At least a capable 3-pointer is on Ayton's road map.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:53 pm
You guys really think an Ayton/Drummond swap is a good idea?
No.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’m all about entertaining Ayton for KAT, but this Drummond for Ayton talk is INSANE.

And you guys think IM crazy for under appreciating Booker.

Ayton is only regarded around here as the #1 pick that wasn’t D****c. It’s sad really.

Drummond is 26 averaging 17 and 15 on a max deal is not a good defender and is a heavy footed old school C.

Ayton is just starting his second year, Will in all likelihood average 20 and 12 in his sleep without any improvement, has range, and most importantly in today’s game can guard basically any position one on one at an above average level.

Y’all gotta put down the pipe!

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:48 pm
I’m all about entertaining Ayton for KAT, but this Drummond for Ayton talk is INSANE.

Ayton is only regarded around here as the #1 pick that wasn’t D****c. It’s sad really.

Drummond is 26 averaging 17 and 15 on a max deal is not a good defender and is a heavy footed old school C.

Ayton is just starting his second year, Will in all likelihood average 20 and 12 in his sleep without any improvement, has range, and most importantly in today’s game can guard basically any position one on one at an above average level.

All very well put. I still think Ayton is going to be really, really good.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:

How is it insane when everyone says they wouldn’t do it? I think only one poster was in favor of it.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:36 pm
specialsauce wrote:

How is it insane when everyone says they wouldn’t do it? I think only one poster was in favor of it.
another said no and reason was because drummond has only this year left on his deal, not because Ayton is already a better talent, is younger, and has much more potential

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:53 pm
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

another said no and reason was because drummond has only this year left on his deal, not because Ayton is already a better talent, is younger, and has much more potential
I was just pointing out that the Suns would never even consider trading Ayton for a rental. I would not trade him for Drummond, even if Drummond was under contract for years.

I might consider trading Ayton for KAT, but I would prefer to see how good Ayton can be.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t trade Ayton for Drummond, but Drummond is better right now.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:23 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:53 pm
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

I was just pointing out that the Suns would never even consider trading Ayton for a rental. I would not trade him for Drummond, even if Drummond was under contract for years.

I might consider trading Ayton for KAT, but I would prefer to see how good Ayton can be.
Ah
Understood!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Agree that Drummond is more of an old school "aircraft carrier."
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Drummond is a rental. He will not draw that much value. He is going to opt out this summer.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:08 pm
Curious why Atlanta would be interested in Drummond
I think it makes sense for them. They want a center that can be a foundation piece. Drummond checks a lot of boxes and is pretty reliable. And he complements Trae and John Collins.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:13 pm
Split T wrote:
I think it makes sense for them. They want a center that can be a foundation piece. Drummond checks a lot of boxes and is pretty reliable. And he compliments Trae and John Collins.
Compliments them how? Tells them how nice they look? Or how well they play?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:03 pm
I think Ayton’s potential outweighs his present trade value. Too early to give up on him.
You're probably right about his potential outweighing his trade value; I don't think there would be many GMs lining up to pay a premium price for Ayton.

I'm interested in moving Ayton, but I wouldn't deal him for Drummond.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:20 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:13 pm
Split T wrote:
I think it makes sense for them. They want a center that can be a foundation piece. Drummond checks a lot of boxes and is pretty reliable. And he compliments Trae and John Collins.
Compliments them how? Tells them how nice they look? Or how well they play?
Ha

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:37 pm
Cap wrote:
I think Ayton’s potential outweighs his present trade value. Too early to give up on him.
You're probably right about his potential outweighing his trade value; I don't think there would be many GMs lining up to pay a premium price for Ayton.

I think there would be about 29 teams interested if he was available.

We just need to learn to have some patience with young players like Bridges, Ayton, Cam Johnson and Okobo.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:41 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:37 pm
Cap wrote:

I think there would be about 29 teams interested if he was available.
I wasn't denying that. I'm saying it would be a short list of teams that would be willing to pay a premium for him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I could see Denver arranging some sort of Millsap for Kevin Love trade. I also think Miami could move for Kevin Love, possibly sending out Justise Winslow and James Johnson for him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d take Millsap here if Denver moves on from him. He’s also just an expiring contract.