Game Day: Magic (18-20) @ Suns (14-23), Fri 1/10/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Game Day: Magic (18-20) @ Suns (14-23), Fri 1/10/20

Post by INFORMER »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:32 pm
I love Bridges game.
What is it that you love? That is a strong statement for a guard/forward averaging 6.9 ppg and shoots 29% from 3.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:31 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:27 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:24 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:18 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:48 pm
It kills me how little we get from Cam and Bridges.
Because they are capable of so much more, or because you think they are busts?
We paid A LOT to get them.
Yep. And the return is minimal at best.
On Bridges? You clearly haven't been watching or following him lately. And Cam is a rookie. Pump the brakes. This is even extreme for you INF.
I'm not sure how anything I said was "extreme."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:51 pm
djy2j wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:27 am
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:40 am
If the Suns are going to marginalize him and force him to blend in with the team instead of the other way around, they should just trade him.
I agree with that thought process I just know whoever they bring in, Monty won’t know how to use him either
Sounds like a great plan you guys have got brewing. Thank god you have no power to pull it off. :lol:
Yeah, and you like every Suns player and coach ever and have never found fault in any of them, just want to stash them in case they ever blossom into a 15th man. We’d still be running out Archie, Dragan, TJ, Chriss, Bender, Mike James, Ray Spaulding, Alex Len, with Lindsey Hunter at coach ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:49 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:25 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:51 am
ShelC wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:55 am
Kind of at a loss after the lineup thing and watching this game. Great that we won, kinda sucks it was ugly and we needed Devin to pull us thru against a depleted Magic team.

Monty said afterward about the starting lineup that he wanted/needed Ayton as an "anchor" with the bench guys. Also said that Ayton is a starting center in the league but they need to work him in properly. All of that makes sense but so does wanting to get back to playing the way we were earlier in the year and maybe showing Ayton that nothing will be given to anyone. Ayton looked to me to be working harder in the first half when he got out there. His offense wasn't there early, tho the team offense looked smoother with him than in previous games, and I thought he was doing pretty well defensively. We'll just have to see how this all plays out. I still like Monty tho and have faith in him leading the team through all of this.

Even tho Bridges doesn't start, he's closing games. +17 off the bench making a difference down the stretch. I was never in the "Bridges is untouchable" camp and still think he's relatively expendable but there's no denying his impact in games. I wish he were a bit bigger to play the 4 tho. I love our SFs Oubre, Bridges and Cam, but we don't have that real faceup smallball 4 other than Dario. If Bridges were 6-9 he'd be near perfect.

Bottom line to me is that we need to start shooting and making more 3s. Cutting to the basket for layups and Book midrange shots are nice but we're exchanging 2s for 3s for stretches of games which leads to closer games throughout and tight wins/losses. For all the shooters we've added, our numbers have gotten progressively worse from 3 with Cam and Baynes cooling off and getting almost nothing from Bridges and Dario.
Completely agree with that part. After watching the last game when Ayton got 1 board in the second half; I just wouldn't reward that by benching the other guy. I don't mind mistakes, but DeAndre has to play with effort through the whole game.
Did he bench Booker when he went through his s*** stretch? Or Kelly when he plays wild and shoots 6-18? No. Maybe for a few minutes, but not relegated to the bench. Ayton is our future. Instead of circling the team around him, he’s marginalizing him. What a clown.
The difference is that Ayton is an immature, 20-year-old, second year player coming off a 25 game suspension that has a lot to learn about being a pro basketball player. Your clown take is way off base here.
You’re right. Doing push-ups and flexing and banging you’re head after getting down 30 because of a lack of defensive intensity you’re directly involved in oozes maturity. :roll:

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:45 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:14 am

He’s far and away our best big. There’s no message sent when you bench him for inferior players.
The message is: you can do more, we need you to do more and we want you to do more.
This. so many times this.
So when Book is the worst on the team in defensive rating, should he come off the bench to send a message that we know he can do more? Or are unreasonable expectations only placed on DeAndre, and the rest of the team is free to dick around? The same dude who drops 18/11 on his own despite his team completely ignoring him?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:43 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:

On Bridges? You clearly haven't been watching or following him lately. And Cam is a rookie. Pump the brakes. This is even extreme for you INF.
What are you looking for from Cam at this point, 30 or so games into being a pro, that he's not giving you? And does anything impress you about Bridges or are you transfixed on his 6ppg and 3pt% for the season, disregarding his play of late?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ayton was constantly missing his rotations. over and over and over again. He was not boxing out. He was not sealing in the post where his teammates could get him the ball. Those are all things they talked about and he should be able to do. It is just effort. So they want to work him into the lineup. I don't get the issue.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:43 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:

It isn't. We used four first round picks to get Cam and Bridges, right? We should be getting at least above average production. I love how long Mikal is, and he can disrupt passing lanes. But he is the worst 3 pt shooter on the team, by far, and he is supposed to be great at that. Even with his defense, if he can't hit 3s at +37% he isn't worth what we paid. My hope is that he gets back there before his rookie contract is up and we have to decide if he will ever get it back before extending him...

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
I always forget how much we paid.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:20 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Well then help me out. What are the players in the draft spots we gave up? I'd like to see how they're performing. I'd like to know what we could have had vs what we have.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:17 pm
Ayton was constantly missing his rotations. over and over and over again. He was not boxing out. He was not sealing in the post where his teammates could get him the ball. Those are all things they talked about and he should be able to do. It is just effort. So they want to work him into the lineup. I don't get the issue.
You’re right you’re right, DA is the only player on the team missing rotations. Forgot about that. Everyone else including Booker is playing outstanding D. Too bad Frank is out, good for DA or he would really have a hard time earning minutes ahead of that defensive stud.

And again being our best rebounder by far is a joke! Lazy ass! Less rebounds more butt rubbing is what we want to see. Until then, he should sit.

What the hell is sealing the post anyway. There are a solid 2-3 seconds where DA has his man pinned on his back on every offensive possession where he isn’t asked to wander around halfcourt setting screens, and he only gets the ball 20% of the time on those.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:20 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:

Well then help me out. What are the players in the draft spots we gave up? I'd like to see how they're performing. I'd like to know what we could have had vs what we have.
SGA for one. By no measure is Bridges living up to the 10th pick, let alone what we traded to get him.
Last edited by specialsauce on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:16 pm
What are you looking for from Cam at this point, 30 or so games into being a pro, that he's not giving you? And does anything impress you about Bridges or are you transfixed on his 6ppg and 3pt% for the season, disregarding his play of late?
My issue with Cam isn't necessarily with his production, but who he is a player. I understand he is a rookie is going to have his ups and downs. I have no problem with that. But at his best, he basically a spot-up shooter. He is James Jones. That is tough to swallow after spending a lottery pick on him.

Mikal has barely made any progress, and in some ways he has regressed. He has helped contribute to some victories recently, which is nice, but big picture, the Suns need more.

Last night, Bridges made some winning plays. It was a significant improvement. But if a 4 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks, in 30 minutes game is a SIGNIFICANT improvement, that's a problem.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
If the Suns are going to marginalize him and force him to blend in with the team instead of the other way around, they should just trade him.
I agree with that thought process I just know whoever they bring in, Monty won’t know how to use him either
Sounds like a great plan you guys have got brewing. Thank god you have no power to pull it off. :lol:
Yeah, and you like every Suns player and coach ever and have never found fault in any of them, just want to stash them in case they ever blossom into a 15th man. We’d still be running out Archie, Dragan, TJ, Chriss, Bender, Mike James, Ray Spaulding, Alex Len, with L*****y H****r at coach ;)
Come on, man. Ayton has played 1 full season + what, 7 games? Give him a little time to see what we have. Nobody would stick around if you had your way. Certainly not Oubre!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
I'm glad others get it. That's it exactly.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:11 pm
Indy wrote:
You’re right you’re right, DA is the only player on the team missing rotations. Forgot about that. Everyone else including Booker is playing outstanding D. Too bad Frank is out, good for DA or he would really have a hard time earning minutes ahead of that defensive stud.

And again being our best rebounder by far is a joke! Lazy ass! Less rebounds more butt rubbing is what we want to see. Until then, he should sit.

What the hell is sealing the post anyway. There are a solid 2-3 seconds where DA has his man pinned on his back on every offensive possession where he isn’t asked to wander around halfcourt setting screens, and he only gets the ball 20% of the time on those.
I don’t really see what you think is so disrespectful. He’s getting his minutes. Your disrespect of Booker and Oubre is worse than any disrespect of Ayton.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sauce, do you have a kid? Do you let him do whatever he wants because he's special? :P
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This thread has gotten a little chippy. I don't like when folks call others stupid or idiot or otherwise insult another player for their Suns takes. We can disagree but I hope we'll keep it civil. Thanks, you ugly smelly dumbass mofos!!!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

We gave up a lot for Jevon Carter, too.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:34 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Yeah, and you like every Suns player and coach ever and have never found fault in any of them, just want to stash them in case they ever blossom into a 15th man. We’d still be running out Archie, Dragan, TJ, Chriss, Bender, Mike James, Ray Spaulding, Alex Len, with L*****y H****r at coach ;)
Come on, man. Ayton has played 1 full season + what, 7 games? Give him a little time to see what we have. Nobody would stick around if you had your way. Certainly not Oubre!
I think you’re confused man. Im saying the Suns are doing Ayton a huge injustice. Treating him awfully, minimizing his strengths and this board has it out for him. If suns are going to minimize him, might as well trade him. I’m on Aytons side on this.