Game Day: Hornets (15-26) @ Suns (15-23), Sun 1/11/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Hornets (15-26) @ Suns (15-23), Sun 1/11/20

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 am
Ayton had a good game overall, but there were some head shaking stretches in the first and third quarters. His main issues were related to his hoops IQ and occasionally with his effort tonight.

I think his "secret weapon" comment sounds ridiculous, but it's the right idea in general. The Suns bench is absolutely terrible, so getting him possessions when Booker and Rubio are on the bench might just be the only way to prevent the other team from killing us.
this

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

Even the guy used to fetch him (Dante Exum) would have been our best bench player (sans Ayton)...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Exum? Have you watched him?

The issue with getting a scorer for the bench is they'll still need to play within the system. If a smaller scoring guard like Clarkson needs the ball, does that throw things off? I think we need more creators/dribble drive guys which is why I like Okobo. He can play downhill and has a great first step. I think I'd rather devote minutes to him at this point.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:55 pm
djy2j wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Ayton had some spurts where he looked really good. Seems like it is happening more often. Zeller torched him on the offensive glass though. I can’t really blame him for never boxing out. He clearly has no idea what that is so it’s on the coaches for letting it go on so long. It’s so fundamentally bad.
Zeller had 2 offensive rebounds for the game.
Zeller had 15/8/5 mainly on Ayton’s watch. It’s always going to bother me when a guy with a fraction of Ayton’s talent performs well against him. It bothers me that Zeller had as much of an impact as he did.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Zeller is not athletic, but he's the type of crafty vet that will take advantage of Ayton's lack of basketball smarts.
If the coaching staff is smart, they will show clips of Zeller v Ayton to the young guy as a learning session.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cody Zeller is a tough matchup for us. He worked us over earlier in the season, too. It's tough to admit that the Suns can't guard someone named Cody who looks like a mildly successful middle manager whose wife is tired of how nice he is.

As others have said, it's good to see a win when Booker is off.

The Suns started off slow, but it was clear that the Hornets couldn't keep up with our top 7. Saric was back to his old self - just filling a role and making it possible for the other guys to succeed. Bridges / Baynes / Rubio were solid and made an impact. Even Okobo got his act together after a rough start. Oubre was the star for us tonight, and we needed it. Booker is learning to use his gravity to help the team even when the shot isn't falling.

Cam is going through a funk (-15 in 7 minutes), and it doesn't help that we don't have any easy minutes for him. He gets on the court with odd lineups and if he misses that first shot or first defensive assignment, then Monty goes with Bridges and Oubre the rest of the game. I get it; but I hope he keeps his head up and keeps working in practice. I also hope James Jones sees that the team needs athletes up front.

I was surprised to see Ayton coming off the bench again. It's like it was a secret. But it worked! He has been weaponized. Like a secret weapon!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 am
Zeller is not athletic, but he's the type of crafty vet that will take advantage of Ayton's lack of basketball smarts.
If the coaching staff is smart, they will show clips of Zeller v Ayton to the young guy as a learning session.
Yeah, I was watching how Zeller and Ayton interacted. I remember one particular play on the baseline where Zeller had Ayton sealed behind him and Ayton didn't even make an effort to get around him. Another time next to each other for a possible FT rebound, Zeller sealed off Ayton and Ayton didn't even make an attempt to get around him. He just watched from behind before heading back downcourt.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I recant a little on my attack on others regarding Ayton and his "secret weapon" statement. I'm happy that he's not complaining and making a big deal about coming off the bench and is willing to do what the team wants from him. I also understand why others take issue with his statement. He's the #1 pick, so he's not a "secret weapon" and, as the #1 pick, he shouldn't be satisfied coming off the bench.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 am
Cody Zeller is a tough matchup for us. He worked us over earlier in the season, too. It's tough to admit that the Suns can't guard someone named Cody who looks like a mildly successful middle manager whose wife is tired of how nice he is.

As others have said, it's good to see a win when Booker is off.

The Suns started off slow, but it was clear that the Hornets couldn't keep up with our top 7. Saric was back to his old self - just filling a role and making it possible for the other guys to succeed. Bridges / Baynes / Rubio were solid and made an impact. Even Okobo got his act together after a rough start. Oubre was the star for us tonight, and we needed it. Booker is learning to use his gravity to help the team even when the shot isn't falling.

Cam is going through a funk (-15 in 7 minutes), and it doesn't help that we don't have any easy minutes for him. He gets on the court with odd lineups and if he misses that first shot or first defensive assignment, then Monty goes with Bridges and Oubre the rest of the game. I get it; but I hope he keeps his head up and keeps working in practice. I also hope James Jones sees that the team needs athletes up front.

I was surprised to see Ayton coming off the bench again. It's like it was a secret. But it worked! He has been weaponized. Like a secret weapon!
Not only good, it is historic. Since Devin had his 21st birthday, the Suns are 1-12 in his games where he scored 12 points or less. Last night was the only one.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:30 am
I recant a little on my attack on others regarding Ayton and his "secret weapon" statement. I'm happy that he's not complaining and making a big deal about coming off the bench and is willing to do what the team wants from him. I also understand why others take issue with his statement. He's the #1 pick, so he's not a "secret weapon" and, as the #1 pick, he shouldn't be satisfied coming off the bench.
I guess that makes me an Ayton hater, because I wish he were extremely pissed he was coming off the bench to +33 year old career backup. And maybe he is, and is just saying the right things. And he is putting in extra work and extra film sessions and is going to come out and show the coaching staff why he should not only be a starter in the league, but one of the top 5 centers in the game today. He has the physical tools for it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 am
He does have better basketball smarts and experience than Ayton, but Ayton's physical gifts should let him dominate a guy like Zeller.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:41 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
I guess that makes me an Ayton hater, because I wish he were extremely pissed he was coming off the bench to +33 year old career backup. And maybe he is, and is just saying the right things. And he is putting in extra work and extra film sessions and is going to come out and show the coaching staff why he should not only be a starter in the league, but one of the top 5 centers in the game today. He has the physical tools for it.
There's more to what I said than the first 2 sentences. By recanting, that means that I no longer hold my prior opinion or belief, the one where I was calling out people that took an issue with what Ayton said.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:43 am
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
There's more to what I said than the first 2 sentences. By recanting, that means that I no longer hold my prior opinion or belief, the one where I was calling out people that took an issue with what Ayton said.
I was quoting you more so to add to the conversation, not calling you out either way. But some around here feel that I have been an Ayton hater since day 1 and keep looking for ways to unjustly fulfill my wish of him being the biggest bust ever and setting our franchise back another 5 years.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I was quoting you more so to add to the conversation, not calling you out either way. But some around here feel that I have been an Ayton hater since day 1 and keep looking for ways to unjustly fulfill my wish of him being the biggest bust ever and setting our franchise back another 5 years.
I got ya. I have been a huge Ayton apologist but I'm starting to come to my senses a little more. He flashes, which is great, but I'm wanting more and I want to see it consistently. It's not about talent, it's about desire and fire, something he seems to lack.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I am of the belief that Ayton needs minutes, coaching and scoring opportunities in order to get better.

I don't think having him come off the bench and basically split time with Baynes is helping the team a lot in the long run.

The future of this team is in how well they develop guys like Ayton, Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jerome, Oubre, Okobo and Booker. Rubio, Saric and Baynes are really complimentary players brought in to fill holes.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 am
I am of the belief that Ayton needs minutes, coaching and scoring opportunities in order to get better.

I don't think having him come off the bench and basically split time with Baynes is helping the team a lot in the long run.

The future of this team is in how well they develop guys like Ayton, Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jerome, Oubre, Okobo and Booker. Rubio, Saric and Baynes are really complimentary players brought in to fill holes.
Agreed. And hopefully getting outworked by Zeller last night will be a great teaching moment for him. He was much better in the 2nd half than the first.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:25 am
The Bobster wrote:

Agreed. And hopefully getting outworked by Zeller last night will be a great teaching moment for him. He was much better in the 2nd half than the first.
One of Ayton’s problems last year was no point guard to feed him the ball. Coming off the bench puts him in the same position. Rubio was brought in to feed him. If Rubio starts and Ayton doesn’t we are right back where we started.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:05 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I got ya. I have been a huge Ayton apologist but I'm starting to come to my senses a little more. He flashes, which is great, but I'm wanting more and I want to see it consistently. It's not about talent, it's about desire and fire, something he seems to lack.
I definitely want the best for the big fella. The better he is, the better we become as a team. I liken it to having kids. You want the best for them and you want them to reach their full potential. They need to learn from their mistakes and learn to take feedback to better themselves.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

One of Ayton’s problems last year was no point guard to feed him the ball. Coming off the bench puts him in the same position. Rubio was brought in to feed him. If Rubio starts and Ayton doesn’t we are right back where we started.
I think we all know it's just a matter of time before he's starting again. I think it's just a teaching opportunity. I hope he won't be satisfied to continue coming off the bench.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Since he has been coming off the bench, he has spent the majority of his on-court time with Rubio.