Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by LazarusLong »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:05 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:43 pm
The Delonte West stuff floating around Twitter today is super depressing.
Yes, I encounter a lot of people whose lives have spiraled out of control for one reason or another at the library where I work because we get so many homeless people.

We live in a very harsh world if you're experiencing problems with mental health or substance abuse (or in many cases, both).
You'd think an organization rolling in money like the NBA could offer aid to a former employee like West.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:15 am
The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:05 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:43 pm
The Delonte West stuff floating around Twitter today is super depressing.
Yes, I encounter a lot of people whose lives have spiraled out of control for one reason or another at the library where I work because we get so many homeless people.

We live in a very harsh world if you're experiencing problems with mental health or substance abuse (or in many cases, both).
You'd think an organization rolling in money like the NBA could offer aid to a former employee like West.
Well, my first thought would be "The guy has to want to be helped." and that may or may not be the case. Sometimes a person has to hit rock bottom before getting help and straightening themselves out. There are programs through the players union and the league to help former players in need, let's hope he's of a mindset now to take advantage of them and straighten himself out.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

There are some who are content to live on the street.

There also are lost souls who have serious mental illness that can barely help themselves.

West seems to be in the latter category.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

There are many examples of former players who have blown through a lot more money than West has, so I can understand the part about being broke, even homeless. The troubling thing is his history of mental health issues going back to high school. And when someone like that is found with all the weaponry he had with him in 2009, it's a clear signal that there are going to be future problems. A lot of people have tried to help him, but as we can all see everyday, it's not an easy lifestyle for people to break away from.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

For some folks, it's very difficult to break the cycle because they just don't have the right brain chemicals to seek or trust the help that is offered. They need the help before they can get the help.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's horrible and just think how this will affect his son.
"Be Legendary."