Game Day: Suns (17-24) @ Celtics (27-13), Sat 1/18/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (17-24) @ Celtics (27-13), Sat 1/18/20

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:37 am
Smart was completely on fire. A guy that hot from 3pt land can take as many bad shots as he wants. Take Smart out of the game and Boston loses much worse imo.
Meh. He shot more threes than Steph Curry ever has in a game. But I appreciate the bad shots in crunch time.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

djy2j wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:32 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:29 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:25 pm
That foul on Rubio was the same thing Trae Young did to Ayton two games ago and they called it an offensive foul.

I think a blocking foul is the right call which just makes me angrier about the call in Atlanta.
And Trae barely even got hit...Ayton was jogging and Trae just fell
Remembered this exact play when it happened. Tells you how much of a double standard NBA refs have. These officials were terrible. They had like 4 separate huddled tonight. Nobody knew what the others were doing. f*** embarrassing.
When booker was lining up free throws at the suns then they took it away and didn’t adjust the time added to the clock. You need to fire or suspend someone to make an example for situations like that. That’s what pisses people off is not just the initial fuck up but there’s no consequence for a blatant mistake in a crucial moment. The threat of the suspension may help in ensuring they make it right. You could have added Benny hill music to that sequence tonight. Fucking awful. Imagine if that had been playoffs. Refs would have been hunted down after the game if the home team lost of a consequence.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

SDC wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 pm
Cap wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:14 pm
djy2j wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 pm
Cap wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:17 pm
I kinda like this starting lineup.
I’m fond of it too. Wish Kelly would accept a 6th man role but I doubt it.
I like it. Our team really needs something off the bench. Some of the lineups were gross tonight. I like cam and oubre as focal points off the bench. With oubre closing and which ever one of bridges or cam is playing well to close.
Put diallo in as well at Pf as he’s not afraid to drive from the high post
Baynes looks like he needs a few days rest

Ya just gotta figure out how to spin it.

“Mikal, ya know, he sucks coming off the bench. He just can’t figure out how to work with the second unit. We need you, Kell. Only you can do it.”

I dunno, that’s my guess. I’m not exactly a spin expert.
here's how:

1) tell him he will still average 30+ minutes a night off the bench.
2) that the team expects him to take the 3rd most shot attempts per game on the team.
3) that he will be part of the "closing 5" along with mikal, rubio, booker, ayton in the 4th of close games.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Sorry not sure how my reply got messed up there

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

SDC wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 pm
Cap wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:14 pm
djy2j wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 pm
Cap wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:17 pm
I kinda like this starting lineup.
I’m fond of it too. Wish Kelly would accept a 6th man role but I doubt it.
Ya just gotta figure out how to spin it.

“Mikal, ya know, he sucks coming off the bench. He just can’t figure out how to work with the second unit. We need you, Kell. Only you can do it.”

I dunno, that’s my guess. I’m not exactly a spin expert.
here's how:

1) tell him he will still average 30+ minutes a night off the bench.
2) that the team expects him to take the 3rd most shot attempts per game on the team.
3) that he will be part of the "closing 5" along with mikal, rubio, booker, ayton in the 4th of close games.
More or less. Tell him the truth - we need his scoring punch while Booker and/or Ayton are out. Bridges can't play that role.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Oubre seems like the kind of guy who takes a lot of pride in being a starter and moving him to a sixth man role, whether it improves his or the team efficiency or not, would be a difficult adjustment. Also consider that he hasn't been "paid" yet. He took a shorter, slightly higher annual salary deal on the assumption that he'll sign a 5 year, $100 million-ish deal next summer. At least that's what his agent probably told him.

It's a difficult situation for Monty to navigate if he thinks it's the right move, but I'm still for starting Oubre and bringing Bridges off of the bench. Mikal needs to develop his offensive repertoire, and doing it against opposing second units is a great opportunity.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:14 am
Oubre seems like the kind of guy who takes a lot of pride in being a starter and moving him to a sixth man role, whether it improves his or the team efficiency or not, would be a difficult adjustment. Also consider that he hasn't been "paid" yet. He took a shorter, slightly higher annual salary deal on the assumption that he'll sign a 5 year, $100 million-ish deal next summer. At least that's what his agent probably told him.

It's a difficult situation for Monty to navigate if he thinks it's the right move, but I'm still for starting Oubre and bringing Bridges off of the bench. Mikal needs to develop his offensive repertoire, and doing it against opposing second units is a great opportunity.
I think Mikal will be one most willing to adjust to coming off the bench, and so I think it makes sense to stick with Oubre initially. Hopefully, Mikal can use this game as a confidence-booster in future games. But it is an issue that I think is worth revisiting after Oubre has been back a few games.

The bench would look a whole lot better with Bridges making shots and Johnson doing anything productive. What the heck happened there?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

jonh wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:46 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I think Mikal will be one most willing to adjust to coming off the bench, and so I think it makes sense to stick with Oubre initially. Hopefully, Mikal can use this game as a confidence-booster in future games. But it is an issue that I think is worth revisiting after Oubre has been back a few games.

The bench would look a whole lot better with Bridges making shots and Johnson doing anything productive. What the heck happened there?
I would take my time bringing Oubre back from this injury though. It is an opportunity to experiment. If this team functions best with Oubre off the bench and Mikal starting. That is how it should be. If Oubre can’t handle that, we need to move him.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:46 am
jonh wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I would take my time bringing Oubre back from this injury though. It is an opportunity to experiment. If this team functions best with Oubre off the bench and Mikal starting. That is how it should be. If Oubre can’t handle that, we need to move him.
Do we? How many games has the team had Rubio/booker/Oubre/Saric/Ayton start? I think its too early to draw any conclusions about that lineup

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:56 am
JCSunsfan wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:46 am
jonh wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Do we? How many games has the team had Rubio/booker/Oubre/Saric/Ayton start? I think its too early to draw any conclusions about that lineup
It’s only started 1 game...and we won by like 30

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"I would take my time bringing Oubre back from this injury though. It is an opportunity to experiment. If this team functions best with Oubre off the bench and Mikal starting. That is how it should be. If Oubre can’t handle that, we need to move him."

Totally spitballing here: Oubre for Spencer Dinwiddie. There's some noise that the Nets might be looking to deal him. Dinwiddie could be the third guard the Suns is lacking, able to back up both Rubio and Booker. He also could ultimately replace Rubio. He's also has the size to play some at the 3 spot.
I like Oubre, but this trade might move Phoenix forward as a team.
Last edited by LazarusLong on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They're not moving Dinwiddie.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

There are rumors that they might, given the right trade. But it's all conjecture.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't see it happening. They might be more inclined to move Levert eventually.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am
I don't see it happening. They might be more inclined to move Levert eventually.
Levert’s been terrible this year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:40 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am
Levert’s been terrible this year.
He "leverted" to the mean.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

There's really no evidence that Oubre hurts DA's game. Ayton's recent improvement is because his timing and effort have improved, not because Kelly has been out.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I doubt Ayton would have had 22 FGA and 11 FTA with Oubre in there.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:11 pm
Agreed.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:07 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:11 pm
Agreed.
Also agree, Oubre is ideally a microwave off the bench