Kobe dead. RIP. Memories thread.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Kobe dead. RIP. Memories thread.

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:35 pm
JJ Slim wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:30 am
...justice was finally served. Harsh I know but that is my opinion. Unfortunately 8 other people lost their lives and I mourn for them.
That doesn't jive. How is that justice if 8 other people had to die?
Yeah, that seems more than a little harsh. I don't think there is a death penalty for rape, even if you were convicted of it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

My guess is that he probably changed dramatically as his daughters grew up and lived with the guilt of what he did in Colorado.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Wow.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is pretty powerful and could maybe even affect JJ Slim. He may have done some terrible things in his life but things like this are pretty great.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:45 pm

This is pretty powerful and could maybe even affect JJ Slim. He may have done some terrible things in his life but things like this are pretty great.
Agree. I had shared a link that had details about his rape transgressions. I then realized, if those items weren't being shared and discussed while he was alive recently on here, why bring them to light and deep dive after he's passed?

I also feel like people can and do change. Kobe seems like the kind of guy, when you see how he interacted with his family and others later on in life and recently, that really became a genuinely great person. Thanks for sharing Bone.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Cap

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 pm
Agree. I had shared a link that had details about his rape transgressions. I then realized, if those items weren't being shared and discussed while he was alive recently on here, why bring them to light and deep dive after he's passed?
It’s not being brought up because he died, it’s being brought up because of the hero worship.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:46 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 pm
It’s not being brought up because he died, it’s being brought up because of the hero worship.
I think many are seeing it as a tragedy. A father, husband and his daughter and several other people died. The difference is that he was one of the greatest basketball players off all time. I'm not sure anyone here and most elsewhere have been referring to him as a hero.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Even so, heroes have to be perfect?

I disliked Kobe for years, specially kobeball, but eventually I got to respect the fierce competitor on him. His legal issues are awful, and obviously throw a shade on the guy, but I firmly believe on doing your best and measuring people for the sum of his actions, not for their best or worst moments, nobody would be safe under that light.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

You can’t deny the positive effect on others he had and what he represents to so many people as a girlddad/father, ambassador of my favorite sport, symbol of Black Excellence, and LA culture. That being said, I am a therapist of many female clients- many of whom have been sexually assaulted and victim blamed by our culture. These large truths exist side by side and are conflicting and aren’t for me to tell people how to feel.
As a basketball fan, I loved hating on him and his hero ball. Another truth to that is the sport was made better because of him.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

I live in L.A. and trust me, it's still a dark cloud over this city.

R.I.P. Mamba.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !