NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Post by Mori Chu »

Also: Wow, Andre Drummond got traded for a bag of beans. Detroit got almost nothing for him; that's unreal. Flaws in his game aside, he's a big beast and the league's leading rebounder. They got a 2nd round pick and a bunch of bantha fodder for him. Almost criminal incompetence. I lke it for Cleveland; they pick up a real talent, something their roster needs, and give up almost nothing.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:35 pm
Also: Wow, Andre Drummond got traded for a bag of beans. Detroit got almost nothing for him; that's unreal. Flaws in his game aside, he's a big beast and the league's leading rebounder. They got a 2nd round pick and a bunch of bantha fodder for him. Almost criminal incompetence. I lke it for Cleveland; they pick up a real talent, something their roster needs, and give up almost nothing.
100% agree
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:19 pm
Looks like Isiah Thomas will become available. Go get him JJ, we need points off the bench.
I just came to post about this. I'm not sure how he would work out playing for Monty and on a losing team. But on paper he could be a helpful spark plug. He has shot well for the Wizards this season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Would have been nice to try and show Booker we wanted to make a playoff push. I think this is the most important part of all this. We are all sick and tired of losing so imagine how he feels. If James Jones were my boss I'd take this trade deadline as he doesn't give a fuck about his employees kind of thing.

I just think at some point we HAVE to push towards winning. We've kind of just let it come organically all these years and for some teams that works. It hasn't for Phoenix.

I mean, to me, trying to woo guys like Paul Milsap, Serge Ibaka, or Jerami Grant, (Gallo ain't coming here) this offseason doesn't really make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I just don't have any faith in this organization at this point. I'm sure Booker is starting really feel lit if he hasn't already. There's only so much finessing and lip service one team can do.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:22 pm
Early thoughts on free agent targets:

Jerami Grant - Think he can be a great fit at the 4 agree. not sure how much he moves the needle though
Joe Harris - One of the best shooters, he’d be nice to have agree
Montrezl Harrell - not sure how he’d fit with Ayton I'd like him but he's going to have his pick (not here)
Ingram - restricted and no chance their teams don’t match agree

B*****y/Bogdon - restricted, could be nice. Teams probably match though agree but i could see Suns overpaying

Ibaka - Maybe? But why would he come unless we’re overpaying agree, no point for him
Millsap - Maybe on a 1 year deal at 35 years old? No thanks. They could have got him 6 years ago. /b]
Gallinari - maybe not a chance
Otto Porter - player option...injury issues, don’t know what he adds with Oubre/Bridges here getting him would continue our losing ways so probably

Van Vleet - don’t see him leaving Toronto correct
Jones Jr. - I like him, not sure how he fits with Bridges/Oubre fits current roster by being a terrible shooter. "Shitter's full"
Dunn - kinda interesting actually. Can’t shoot though. has some stunning defensive numbers. no offense. I can imagine him and Rubio playing a combined 48 minutes a game but only score 8 points
Bertans - maybe, love his shooting maybe. i see other teams going after him though. We get only get scraps

Those are the bigger names, any stand out to you guys?

Derozan - pass correct
Drummond/Whiteside - pass just bought a house in Portland. Probably not going anywhere. Fine by me

I think there are guys who are sitting this year that could still have a lot of upside. Kurucs - Brooklyn, Trier -NY, Carsen Edwards- Boston. I think the Knicks will try and make some big moves and could see them selling low on Mitchell Robinson. I think the Bulls will gut the team some more.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

What are the cap holds for Baynes and Saric??

At this point, my hope is trade for a high quality player and just absorb their contract with our with our cap space.

Hopefully use lottery pick to draft quality player. If not use for trade, of course.

Re-sign Baynes and Saric hopefully. Although, I think Baynes is gone.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

How much better than Drummond do you think Ayton will be?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:10 pm
What are the cap holds for Baynes and Saric??

At this point, my hope is trade for a high quality player and just absorb their contract with our with our cap space.

Hopefully use lottery pick to draft quality player. If not use for trade, of course.

Re-sign Baynes and Saric hopefully. Although, I think Baynes is gone.
I believe Saric is about 10 million. Baynes would probably be about 7 million I’d guess?

Edit: Just checked, Baynes is 10 million as well. Carter is 2 million.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Re-sign Saric?! He’s been a total disappointment: streaky af, disappears on offense. He’s had two bad years in a row. Methinks, we’re done. He is an NBA player but not playing into a role as a consistent player.
I’d rather pay Gallinari who is at least clutch and would spread the floor the rest of the squad. Clearly this team doesn’t thrive on offense with Rubio and Bridges on the floor. Therefore our starting 4 needs to be able to create buckets for himself or knockdown from distance to space the floor.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In retrospect, what do we think of the 2019 draft trade of #6 for Saric + #11? Initially it looked like a pretty savvy move, since Saric played decently well to start the season, and Cam seemed like a decent piece, and the guys drafted #6-10 weren't lighting the league on fire or anything. (Reminder, here are the guys drafted 6-10: Jarrett Culver, Coby White, Jaxson Hayes, Rui Hachimura, Cam Reddish.) I tend to think of the trade as being separate from the decision to draft cam at #11, but I understand if folks couple those things together.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:33 pm
And I especially don't mind that we held onto our 1st-round pick and didn't toss it away to get some marginal player on our roster for the next few months.
With knee tendinitis to boot.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:45 pm
In retrospect, what do we think of the 2019 draft trade of #6 for Saric + #11? Initially it looked like a pretty savvy move, since Saric played decently well to start the season, and Cam seemed like a decent piece, and the guys drafted #6-10 weren't lighting the league on fire or anything. (Reminder, here are the guys drafted 6-10: Jarrett Culver, Coby White, Jaxson Hayes, Rui Hachimura, Cam Reddish.) I tend to think of the trade as being separate from the decision to draft cam at #11, but I understand if folks couple those things together.
Wish we would have just stayed at 6 and taken Culver in retrospect. Still would have also preferred making the trade and drafting Clarke. Cam is nice, I don’t have a problem with him, but we still way over drafted him.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Yeah the only guys I would be fine seeing back from the current roster are" Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Lecque
Guys I'm 50/50 on: Cam, Ty, Rubio, Baynes, Carter
No thanks: Saric, Okobo, Frank, Diallo, Owens, Harper, Johnson

Saric just hasn't shown me anything that he can be a consistent effective NBA player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think there’s much of a chance that we bring back any of our FA’s. Maybe Carter.

Basically we’ve got 7 rotation guys returning(not counting Lecque) Rubio, Book, Oubre, Bridges, Ayton with Ty and Cam off the bench. I still don’t expect a whole lot from Lecque next year. We need at least 3 new rotation guys, I’d say a SG, PF, and C. I think the trade market might be the way to go, but if we stick with FA, how would splitting the 28 million between Joe Harris and Jerami Grant, using the room MLE to get a 5(Christian Wood?) Then just drafting best available guy.

Rubio/Book/Oubre/Bridges/Ayton with
Jerome/Harris/Johnson/Grant/Wood off the bench.

Could hold onto Carter as a 3rd PG, maybe Diallo as a 3rd C. Lecque, 1st rounder, minimum signing round out the 3rd unit.

Solid team...still kinda underwhelming though if Ayton doesn’t take a leap.

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:52 pm
Yeah the only guys I would be fine seeing back from the current roster are" Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Lecque

Saric just hasn't shown me anything that he can be a consistent effective NBA player.
Mikal?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:45 pm
At the time of the trade I was against it and I have seen nothing from Saric or Cam to make me change my mind. People on here overrated Saric, who is a fairly limited player. Cam is a shooter but does little else, and it was a big reach no matter what. That was not worth a #6 back then and it is not now. Clarke at #11 would have been questioned by many, but it was the way to go considering the roster we had/have. Adding non athletic shooters to an already limited roster talent-wise, while paying too much for the privilege, is not a sound way to escape the catacombs.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:58 pm
djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:52 pm

Mikal?
Had him in the top list then moved him to 50/50 in my mind only apparently

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:19 pm
Looks like Isiah Thomas will become available. Go get him JJ, we need points off the bench.
Yes either him or trey Burke please. We need someone who can create their own shot of the bench. Do it now now now now now now now

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:56 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:54 pm
i'm grasping for straws here.
whichever one you pick will be the short one.
You could say for some this trade deadline was the last straw?

Eh eh.

Well you try And find the Fucking humour in this situation.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Gambo just said we will have about $28 million in cap space for this offseason(renouncing Saric, Okobo, etc.). There will be about 6 teams that will have space, most have situations worse than ours with the exception of Atlanta. He thinks Markkanen and Dinwiddie may be targets. He also says he hears that if the Rockets don’t get deep into the playoffs they may fire Dantoni and blow things up.