NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Post by O_Gardino »

I understand wanting to add a productive player, and I'm curious to see if we get someone off waivers. The last few seasons, we have shuffled through a ton of mediocre guards, so I'm not interested in swapping Carter for someone who isn't better.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:45 am
I wish we'd made some kind of trade, but I'm willing to wait until the summer to judge. We can be a free agent player this summer if we want to, and not many teams have a lot of cap space. So I'll watch and see how Jones handles this draft and FA period before totally judging. I haven't liked everything he's done, but at least he seems to understand that we need real NBA players on our roster who have experience and can play real minutes, like Rubio and Baynes. I also appreciate that he has gone out and gotten guys who can shoot 3s, like Cam Johnson and Saric. If he keeps up these trends, we should keep getting better.
We probably have to have a discussion soon about how bad Rubio has been. I think he's worn out completely and there's still the Olympics. It could be worse next year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:11 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:45 am
I wish we'd made some kind of trade, but I'm willing to wait until the summer to judge. We can be a free agent player this summer if we want to, and not many teams have a lot of cap space. So I'll watch and see how Jones handles this draft and FA period before totally judging. I haven't liked everything he's done, but at least he seems to understand that we need real NBA players on our roster who have experience and can play real minutes, like Rubio and Baynes. I also appreciate that he has gone out and gotten guys who can shoot 3s, like Cam Johnson and Saric. If he keeps up these trends, we should keep getting better.
We probably have to have a discussion soon about how bad Rubio has been. I think he's worn out completely and there's still the Olympics. It could be worse next year.
Trade him for Beal this summer. :D
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
He was great at the start of the year. But he seems completely out of gas. No rest in summer, and the lack of sleep of having a new baby, and he's just an exhausted mess. Maybe they should just bench him for a while.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:33 pm
Sure, it’s possible, but impossible to actually know
It’s the suns. Pretty safe to assume in these cases

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:35 pm
Also: Wow, Andre Drummond got traded for a bag of beans. Detroit got almost nothing for him; that's unreal. Flaws in his game aside, he's a big beast and the league's leading rebounder. They got a 2nd round pick and a bunch of bantha fodder for him. Almost criminal incompetence. I lke it for Cleveland; they pick up a real talent, something their roster needs, and give up almost nothing.
I don’t get this at all. They wouldn’t trade Kennard due to the level of protection on the pick but they give up an all star for essentially a 2nd round pick? Is cap space really that useful for the pistons. I feel bad for their fans.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

carey wrote:
His numbers are pretty much in line with his career numbers.

He is what he is.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:41 pm
carey wrote:
He was great at the start of the year. But he seems completely out of gas. No rest in summer, and the lack of sleep of having a new baby, and he's just an exhausted mess. Maybe they should just bench him for a while.
He wasn't great to start the year. We were winning games, so everyone looked good. But his defense and shooting has been atrocious all year. You can't blame that on a newborn. He is great at pulling players together during FTs or other breaks in the action, and a very good passer. But that is all he has brought to the team. Of course, we haven't had either of those in years, so it is something. But I can't imagine how bad this will look after another 24 months and we still have him on the roster at 17M/year.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:19 pm
carey wrote:
His numbers are pretty much in line with his career numbers.

He is what he is.
Was he always this bad on defense? I could swear he used to be able to stay in front of his man.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And his career average for ORtg and DRtg are both 106. But this year he is giving up 111 points per 100 possessions, and only supporting 106. Before this year, he had only been that negative once and it was during his rookie year when he was 21 years old.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:58 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Also: Wow, Andre Drummond got traded for a bag of beans. Detroit got almost nothing for him; that's unreal. Flaws in his game aside, he's a big beast and the league's leading rebounder. They got a 2nd round pick and a bunch of bantha fodder for him. Almost criminal incompetence. I lke it for Cleveland; they pick up a real talent, something their roster needs, and give up almost nothing.
I don’t get this at all. They wouldn’t trade Kennard due to the level of protection on the pick but they give up an all star for essentially a 2nd round pick? Is cap space really that useful for the pistons. I feel bad for their fans.
Kennard is young and still on a rookie contract next year. They had no plans to keep Drummond so they got what they could for him. Although they might as well have just kept him as they only got a 2nd

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:32 pm
Danimal wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Kennard is young and still on a rookie contract next year. They had no plans to keep Drummond so they got what they could for him. Although they might as well have just kept him as they only got a 2nd
Maybe Drummond wanted to go.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
They were worried he was going to opt in.

It was a great move for the Cavs.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:47 am
I'm only upset that they didn't bring in some help. This team is clearly playing on fumes as they sputter to the All-Star break. I'm a bit worried that someone significant may fall to a serious injury here soon, since they are clearly very tired.

It would have been nice in theory to have a player like Kennard, but I wouldn't give up a significant amount to a guy that is having problems with the coaching staff and has chronic bilateral knee tendinitis in both knees. That isn't going away, and giving a 1st with little protection doesn't seem prudent, when you already have a significant amount of rotational players on the injury list.
This is where I am. For example, Portland traded Skal Labissiere AND $1.75M to Atlanta for a top-55 protected second rounder. We have been fielding a team with one center and one 4/5 combo. Are you telling me we couldn't make that trade or a similar one? Skal is better than Chieck and would give us depth and roster balance. If we needed to waive someone, we could waive Tyler.

I didn't need a blockbuster. But doing nothing felt like conceding on the season and I don't want us to get there mentally yet, despite the odds.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:25 pm
Split T wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
They were worried he was going to opt in.

It was a great move for the Cavs.
Good point

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:30 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:47 am
I'm only upset that they didn't bring in some help. This team is clearly playing on fumes as they sputter to the All-Star break. I'm a bit worried that someone significant may fall to a serious injury here soon, since they are clearly very tired.

It would have been nice in theory to have a player like Kennard, but I wouldn't give up a significant amount to a guy that is having problems with the coaching staff and has chronic bilateral knee tendinitis in both knees. That isn't going away, and giving a 1st with little protection doesn't seem prudent, when you already have a significant amount of rotational players on the injury list.
This is where I am. For example, Portland traded Skal Labissiere AND $1.75M to Atlanta for a top-55 protected second rounder. We have been fielding a team with one center and one 4/5 combo. Are you telling me we couldn't make that trade or a similar one? Skal is better than Chieck and would give us depth and roster balance. If we needed to waive someone, we could waive Tyler.

I didn't need a blockbuster. But doing nothing felt like conceding on the season and I don't want us to get there mentally yet, despite the odds.
I wonder if there would be cap restraints. Is that 1.75 a minimum contract? We are over the cap so I’m not sure we could take a contract without sending one back. Portland May have been trying to lower their tax bill? I’m not actually sure if they are a tax team though. Does seem like something we maybe should have done.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:41 pm
carey wrote:
He wasn't great to start the year. We were winning games, so everyone looked good. But his defense and shooting has been atrocious all year. You can't blame that on a newborn. He is great at pulling players together during FTs or other breaks in the action, and a very good passer. But that is all he has brought to the team. Of course, we haven't had either of those in years, so it is something. But I can't imagine how bad this will look after another 24 months and we still have him on the roster at 17M/year.
The stats may not totally bear it out, but by the eye test, he was much better at the start of the season. He had lots of high-assist games (2nd in the league in assists/game) and was consistently hitting open players for good shots. Right now he seems slower and his passes a bit more errant. Something is visibly different from the early part of the season to now. I don't think saying, "He is what he is," captures that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t know how long it lasted, but Rubio was shooting upper 30’s from 3 for a bit to start the season.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:23 pm
I know INF hates hearing this, but from the looks of it, this is a turd of a draft.
I hate hearing it because it is a bad take. It gets said about the draft where we took Chriss and Bender, but how nice would this team be with Jamaal Murray and Domantas Sabonis? I think the Kenyon Martin draft has been the only draft where there essentially wasn't any value in having a 1st round pick.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:35 pm
So Houston gives up Capela and a 1st for Covington.
I get making the commitment to smallball and thinking Capela doesn't effect winning, but ultimately, Capela is a better player than Covington. So how on earth do you part with Capela AND a 1st rounder in that deal?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.