NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Post by JeremyG »

I’ve gone from not being mad if Booker wants out, to now almost WANTING him to demand a trade, just to show Sarver and Jones how stupid they’re acting. You can’t wait around to get your superstar help in today’s NBA!

Maybe then Sarver would sell the team.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:35 pm
Also: Wow, Andre Drummond got traded for a bag of beans. Detroit got almost nothing for him; that's unreal. Flaws in his game aside, he's a big beast and the league's leading rebounder. They got a 2nd round pick and a bunch of bantha fodder for him. Almost criminal incompetence. I lke it for Cleveland; they pick up a real talent, something their roster needs, and give up almost nothing.
Don’t you think it would have been worth moving Ayton to PF in order to get Drummond in here beside him?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm
Gambo just said we will have about $28 million in cap space for this offseason(renouncing Saric, Okobo, etc.). There will be about 6 teams that will have space, most have situations worse than ours with the exception of Atlanta. He thinks Markkanen and Dinwiddie may be targets. He also says he hears that if the Rockets don’t get deep into the playoffs they may fire Dantoni and blow things up.
Markkanen/Dinwiddie would be nice, we’d have to trade for both though. Not sure what those deals would look like, but seems like it would deplete the rest of the roster.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:30 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Gambo just said we will have about $28 million in cap space for this offseason(renouncing Saric, Okobo, etc.). There will be about 6 teams that will have space, most have situations worse than ours with the exception of Atlanta. He thinks Markkanen and Dinwiddie may be targets. He also says he hears that if the Rockets don’t get deep into the playoffs they may fire Dantoni and blow things up.
Markkanen/Dinwiddie would be nice, we’d have to trade for both though. Not sure what those deals would look like, but seems like it would deplete the rest of the roster.
Most teams gut their teams to acquire superstars. The Suns have to do it to acquire a 3rd tier star and a 2nd year player coming off a down year :lol:
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:27 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:30 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Most teams gut their teams to acquire superstars. The Suns have to do it to acquire a 3rd tier star and a 2nd year player coming off a down year :lol:
Lol. How far we have fallen. I wonder if a superstar will ever want to come here again during my lifetime?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I made this “bold” prediction just a day or two ago. Let me put on my surprise face :shock: :o

For some reason I’m reminded of John Belushi quote in the Blue Brothers when he’s trying to explain to Carrie Fischer why he left her at the alter.

“I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn’t have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!”

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 pm
This was info pumped in from Jones to Amico for the purpose of damage control. He didn’t check on shit and he’s trying to cover his ass. Pathetic.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sure, it’s possible, but impossible to actually know

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Think I saw a tweet saying Gambo said we were offering Dario around for a 1st but didn't get any takers. Weird we'd give him up given our lack of depth. But if it's true he's certainly not in our plans after the season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 pm
Think I saw a tweet saying Gambo said we were offering Dario around for a 1st but didn't get any takers. Weird we'd give him up given our lack of depth. But if it's true he's certainly not in our plans after the season.
I am not one for making a move just to make it, but you in case you really think the current expiring contracts we have are players that will help our team the next 30 games, there is no reason to hold onto them. I can't believe nobody wanted Baynes for a late first rounder. Or Saric for a 2nd. I get if nobody had a bad enough cap situation next year to want to trade for TJ, but c'mon man.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I understand trying to get value/assets for expiring contracts, but maybe Jones values having guys like Tyler Johnson and Baynes in the lockerroom, coming to work every day, competing every day. Maybe he and Monty do think the team can finish strong if they get healthy after the break - and that there may be more value in finishing the season strong (playoffs or not) rather than flaming out just to acquiring a pick in order to "get value for an asset". Getting rid of Saric, Baynes and/or Johnson for picks puts us back where we've been the past two seasons with a roster packed with GLeaguers and waiver guys- getting blown out by halftime, being the punching bag of the league and shutting down guys like Rubio and Book early. That kills a franchise and any culture it's built up or claims to have. We've competed almost every game this season and that would end by selling guys off as assets.

Maybe Jones is wrong or he and Bower weren't savvy/competent enough to find the right deal. Don't know that yet. But if they chose to keep the roster together (assuming no slam dunk deals were out there), I'm OK with it. We've played the asset game before under McD. At some point, you need NBA players on your roster. We're still in Year 1 of the rebuild. I was actually surprised at how many (not just here, on social) were up in arms over no deals being made.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:21 am
I understand trying to get value/assets for expiring contracts, but maybe Jones values having guys like Tyler Johnson and Baynes in the lockerroom, coming to work every day, competing every day. Maybe he and Monty do think the team can finish strong if they get healthy after the break - and that there may be more value in finishing the season strong (playoffs or not) rather than flaming out just to acquiring a pick in order to "get value for an asset". Getting rid of Saric, Baynes and/or Johnson for picks puts us back where we've been the past two seasons with a roster packed with GLeaguers and waiver guys- getting blown out by halftime, being the punching bag of the league and shutting down guys like Rubio and Book early. That kills a franchise and any culture it's built up or claims to have. We've competed almost every game this season and that would end by selling guys off as assets.

Maybe Jones is wrong or he and Bower weren't savvy/competent enough to find the right deal. Don't know that yet. But if they chose to keep the roster together (assuming no slam dunk deals were out there), I'm OK with it. We've played the asset game before under McD. At some point, you need NBA players on your roster. We're still in Year 1 of the rebuild. I was actually surprised at how many (not just here, on social) were up in arms over no deals being made.
This is all conjecture at this point, the vets in the locker room aren't doing that great of a job considering our record.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think the people up in arms are upset we didn’t make a big move. I don’t think anyone is all that upset that we didn’t move Baynes for a pick. I would have, but I also understand why we might want to keep him around. Hopefully he can get healthy and play well to finish out the season.

It sounds like Saric is not in our plans moving forward and we tried to move him for a 1st. If he’s not in our plans, I’m a little surprised we didn’t just move him for a 2nd, but maybe wanted to keep him around for depth. Maybe we know Kaminsky isn’t gonna be healthy again this season. We need at least 1 PF.

Tyler was only ever a salary to help bring in another big salary player. He’s got no other value right now.

I’m not upset that we’re just playing out the season. I do wonder if we could have grabbed someone like Jordan McRae. Denver got him for Shabazz Napier. Would Elie Okobo have been enough? Alec Burks was acquired for 1.5 2nd rounders. We don’t have our next 2 2nd round picks, so I understand not making that deal.

It’ll be curious to see how we use our space this offseason. FA market isn’t great, but we’re also one of the few teams with space. I wonder who’ll be available in the trade market.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Most of the people who are mad about our quiet trade deadline were also mad before the trade deadline. They would have been mad with any trade that was a real possibility.

I wasn't that invested in the deadline this year. This was the first year in a while that we didn't have anyone on the roster that we absolutely HAD to dump. We've had a lot of years now with junk on the roster that we needed to jettison.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

iLLmatic wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:33 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:21 am

This is all conjecture at this point, the vets in the locker room aren't doing that great of a job considering our record.
Is our record really that bad considering our health? The team hasn't broken down or given up. There's no Ariza sulking about not having a personal chef. There are no Morris Bros corrupting young talent. I think Jones, having played on winning teams w/really good orgs his whole career, knows the value of pros coming into work everyday and creating a professional environment.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm a little upset we didn't do anything. I am more upset with Jones' reasoning that he didn't want to disrupt the continuity. What continuity? We're still not winning basketball games. When you have 5 decent basketball players you have to go get more using whatever means you can. I guess we'll have to wait until the Summer. Like every year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:51 am
Most of the people who are mad about our quiet trade deadline were also mad before the trade deadline. They would have been mad with any trade that was a real possibility.
Ha. Accurate.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wish we'd made some kind of trade, but I'm willing to wait until the summer to judge. We can be a free agent player this summer if we want to, and not many teams have a lot of cap space. So I'll watch and see how Jones handles this draft and FA period before totally judging. I haven't liked everything he's done, but at least he seems to understand that we need real NBA players on our roster who have experience and can play real minutes, like Rubio and Baynes. I also appreciate that he has gone out and gotten guys who can shoot 3s, like Cam Johnson and Saric. If he keeps up these trends, we should keep getting better.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm only upset that they didn't bring in some help. This team is clearly playing on fumes as they sputter to the All-Star break. I'm a bit worried that someone significant may fall to a serious injury here soon, since they are clearly very tired.

It would have been nice in theory to have a player like Kennard, but I wouldn't give up a significant amount to a guy that is having problems with the coaching staff and has chronic bilateral knee tendinitis in both knees. That isn't going away, and giving a 1st with little protection doesn't seem prudent, when you already have a significant amount of rotational players on the injury list.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass