Suns News: Weeks 16-18 2/10-3/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:04 pm
So here's the Oubre/Magic trade discussion, assuming this info is accurate.

That's more than reasonable. I'm actually glad Orlando didn't take it, and Oubre has been better than Gordon this year.
The short-sightedness of this staff is amazing. They are enamored with the stats and the valley boyz ride the wave tsunami papi glam, and blinded so badly they can’t see what’s right in front of them - an awful fit next to Booker and Ayton. A me-first, tunnel vision, inconsistent defensive player with low IQ. Great for the box score, not a good complementary piece for Ayton and Booker.

Bridges and Cam are high IQ with the skills needed to play them aside the 2 franchise cornerstones, and yet it is the short term marketability of Kelly they are enamored with, not realizing the long term goal of making the playoffs is what will actually bring sustained revenue to the organization.

For those who reached out, appreciate the concern. I’ve been fine the last month, I was banned by the site owner. I could go on about how I feel about it, but he owns the site so not much I can do but accept it and move on. Happy to be back. I was fuming over the deadline. Very happy about Aytons play (and in disbelief by the continued lack of recognition by some people here) dude is going to be an elite defender in this league. This training staff needs to be fired and they need to hire an actual training staff next year. The minor injuries taking months to heal is getting ridiculous.
We missed you, SS! Glad you’re back. Oubre has been getting a free ride until now. :D
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Welcome back Sauce, good to see you. I think that trading Oubre for Gordon would have been a risky move. I worry about Gordon's shooting and overall fit. I'd take him here if we could find a way to acquire him, but I'm leery of giving up one of our main 3-4 guys for him.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
ShelC wrote:

That's more than reasonable. I'm actually glad Orlando didn't take it, and Oubre has been better than Gordon this year.
The short-sightedness of this staff is amazing. They are enamored with the stats and the valley boyz ride the wave tsunami papi glam, and blinded so badly they can’t see what’s right in front of them - an awful fit next to Booker and Ayton. A me-first, tunnel vision, inconsistent defensive player with low IQ. Great for the box score, not a good complementary piece for Ayton and Booker.

Bridges and Cam are high IQ with the skills needed to play them aside the 2 franchise cornerstones, and yet it is the short term marketability of Kelly they are enamored with, not realizing the long term goal of making the playoffs is what will actually bring sustained revenue to the organization.

For those who reached out, appreciate the concern. I’ve been fine the last month, I was banned by the site owner. I could go on about how I feel about it, but he owns the site so not much I can do but accept it and move on. Happy to be back. I was fuming over the deadline. Very happy about Aytons play (and in disbelief by the continued lack of recognition by some people here) dude is going to be an elite defender in this league. This training staff needs to be fired and they need to hire an actual training staff next year. The minor injuries taking months to heal is getting ridiculous.
I'd be wary of undermining team chemistry with an Oubre for Gordon Oubre swap - Oubre's well liked and Gordon looks to be dogging it in Orlando; not exactly screaming high character after he got his huge contract. If we could find a way to have both in the offseason, however..

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:49 pm
djy2j wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:33 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 pm
djy2j wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:38 pm
Morant was supposedly already notified shortly after rosters were announced that he was first in line. We’ll see. If I were Booker,at this point I’d tell the NBA to kick rocks. It’s insulting this late notice.
That would be disrespect on another level. Morants stats are no where near Books level, regardless of team record.
And it would fall in line with all the rest of the disrespect this year from the league, refs, media, so I would be shocked if Booker gets chosen.
Seriously.

Where’d you hear about Morant being told such a thing? Would be weird
I know Barkley actually said Morant should be in over Booker.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:54 am
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Morant was supposedly already notified shortly after rosters were announced that he was first in line. We’ll see. If I were Booker,at this point I’d tell the NBA to kick rocks. It’s insulting this late notice.
That would be disrespect on another level. Morants stats are no where near Books level, regardless of team record.
And it would fall in line with all the rest of the disrespect this year from the league, refs, media, so I would be shocked if Booker gets chosen.
Seriously.

I know Barkley actually said Morant should be in over Booker.
Idiot!
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don’t know if it would work with the cap this summer, but would the Kings entertain swapping Hield for the Suns lotto pick? Say the Suns get a decent position like 5th?

I think every smart GM in the league will try to pry him away from the Kings this summer. He’s basically discount Bradley Beal.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Seriously.

Someone posted a tweet from a guy who had like 17 followers, I doubt it’s legit

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:03 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
ShelC wrote:

We missed you, SS! Glad you’re back. Oubre has been getting a free ride until now. :D
Thanks ‘Bone! Your optimism has been running without consequences for a month and I’m back to put it in its place :lol:

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:41 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
ShelC wrote:

I'd be wary of undermining team chemistry with an Oubre for Gordon Oubre swap - Oubre's well liked and Gordon looks to be dogging it in Orlando; not exactly screaming high character after he got his huge contract. If we could find a way to have both in the offseason, however..
Team chemistry? This is the same company line as we didn’t want to ruin team “cohesion.” These are things people can say when you have a good team and the right parts. We suck. We have parts that don’t fit well together. They may have good off court chemistry but Kelly doesn’t play well in the system. It’s often times 4 guys playing in the flow, then Kelly gets it for a possession and goes iso ball. The on court chemistry is poor IMO.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:03 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Thanks ‘Bone! Your optimism has been running without consequences for a month and I’m back to put it in its place :lol:
Ha ha! You are the yang to my yin. (That's what she said.) 8-)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ayton out.

"Be Legendary."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Damn. Would have been nice to have him start getting some national attention. Sick of seeing Doncic's stupid dad bod all over Sportscenter every night.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 am
3rdside wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Team chemistry? This is the same company line as we didn’t want to ruin team “cohesion.” These are things people can say when you have a good team and the right parts. We suck. We have parts that don’t fit well together. They may have good off court chemistry but Kelly doesn’t play well in the system. It’s often times 4 guys playing in the flow, then Kelly gets it for a possession and goes iso ball. The on court chemistry is poor IMO.
Oubre has been the 2nd best player on this team this year, and it isn't even close.

Yep, he has tunnel vision when he gets in the open court.
Yep, he isn't a "High IQ" basketball player.
And yep, he's flashy even when we are down 10 points.

BUT

He is 1st in blocks
He is 1st in rebounds
He is 1st in 3s
He has the highest 3P% of our starters
He is 2nd in points scored
He is 2nd in minutes played
He is 2nd in FTA
He is 2nd in steals

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I was interested in Gordon, but I don't regret not trading Oubre for him. My aim was to add talent, not making a lateral move. The expiring contract, a prospect and a 1stR was a fair offer in my book, depending on the protection on the pick. If ORL didn't see it that way, so be it, because Gordon didn't come without his own question marks either.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:39 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 am
3rdside wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Oubre has been the 2nd best player on this team this year, and it isn't even close.

Yep, he has tunnel vision when he gets in the open court.
Yep, he isn't a "High IQ" basketball player.
And yep, he's flashy even when we are down 10 points.

BUT

He is 1st in blocks
He is 1st in rebounds
He is 1st in 3s
He has the highest 3P% of our starters
He is 2nd in points scored
He is 2nd in minutes played
He is 2nd in FTA
He is 2nd in steals
His steals and blocks are an illusion. He may be our “2nd best player” from a stats perspective, but as far as the second best player on a winning team? Never. Playing the right way is more important. He is all about flash. His actual defensive acumen is low. Take for example the game recently he completely forgot we were playing a zone defense.

Or how about the game we should’ve won against the Spurs when he childishly yelled at Ayton and Book to get him the ball, badly bricked a 3, then completely lost focus on the defensive follow up and sagged way too far off White who was killing us for God knows what reason- only to then be unaware of the time left on the clock and bite on a fake to allow an open 3 that iced the game?

These are just mini examples of his poor awareness on defense. He’s only looking out for the highlight or the statistic.

His points are not what we need from him. We need defense and passing with smart shots. Those come at the expense of the overall offensive system we are trying to employ. This year isn’t about just winning, it’s about learning to play the right way. Next year they can build on that. Kelly isn’t playing the right way. It’s not for the good of the future of the team. He hurts the team overall while getting his own.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

This team needs way more talent before we begin picking apart Oubre. In the least we are short a starting PF, leading bucket getting 6th man, and a back up PG.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oubre's points help us a lot. We have a lot of nights where only 1-2 guys show up interested in scoring double digits (usually Booker and Ayton), and in those cases, Oubre's scoring is extremely valuable. Having a guy who can quietly get 20+ on a given night without dominating the ball too much is no small thing. And while you can certainly show individual plays where Oubre screws up, there are also plenty of plays where he gets a savvy layup, hits a big 3, shows a bunch of hustle and gets us an extra possession or basket or play, etc. He is also a very strong positive locker room presence, motivates the other guys and brings them together. He brings a lot to the table and also has flaws that take a few things off the table. Overall he's been a huge net positive for us this year. As Indy says, he's easily been our second-best player this year behind Booker.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

For those encouraged by Bridges' recent 3pt shooting, he is averaging .387 in 38 games since the end of Nov.

He was sooo bad (.192 in 17 games) to start the season and that has kept his overall % down. That's also part of the reason we are so worried when he goes through the normal ups and downs of the season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Saucey--you can find just as many examples of Oubre benefiting our games. It is cherry picking.

Do I think we can be a great team with him as our 2nd best player? No freaking way. But he has been that for us this year. And as Mori said, we are an AWFUL offensive team when Booker sits. Kelly has been a consistent spark and nobody else has.

Can he be a huge help to a team if he is the 3rd or 4th guy by providing his energy and scoring and timely defense? I think he absolutely could (but he isn't there yet). If Ayton hadn't fucked up his season he would likely be the 2nd best player, and Oubre 3rd, which is more his speed.

I am not in favor of giving him 25M for 3-4 years (probably what he will demand if he keeps his progress the rest of this year, and adds a bit next year).

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am
Damn. Would have been nice to have him start getting some national attention. Sick of seeing Doncic's stupid dad bod all over Sportscenter every night.
Instead you've got stupidity like this:

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.