Suns News: Weeks 16-18 2/10-3/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 2939
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Agreed. I doubt he or the Suns want to take any risks with injuries or ailments at this point.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10971
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by carey » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:40 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:59 pm
There's no reason to take any risks with Oubre. We don't have much to fight for at this point in the season. He should rest as much as he needs. I really don't want to see him aggravate an injury by rushing back.
The Timeline was talking about Oubre getting upwards of $20/$21M when he's a FA in '21 and wondering if we're going to be the team to give it to him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 5642
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by ShelC » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:56 am

Love Oubre, but I've always been on the opinion that swings are a dime a dozen. If Mikal and Cam have progressed to the point where they can step in and step up and we can find/draft another swing for depth on the cheap, Oubre prob has to walk. But a lot can happen between now and then.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4092
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Shabazz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:47 am

ShelC wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:56 am
Love Oubre, but I've always been on the opinion that swings are a dime a dozen. If Mikal and Cam have progressed to the point where they can step in and step up and we can find/draft another swing for depth on the cheap, Oubre prob has to walk. But a lot can happen between now and then.
There are a lot of teams in the league that would disagree with the “dime a dozen” thing. I feel like the DeMarre Carroll/Jordan McRae types are, but ones that can get you a consistent 20 with good D and reliable 3 point shooting are much more rare. OKC, Orlando, the Knicks, etc would kill for an Oubre-level wing.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 5642
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by ShelC » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:13 pm

I mean, we gave away TJ Warren because we had Oubre and Mikal and were drafting Cam. SG/SFs are the most abundant types of players - 6-5 to 6-8 guys who can score and shoot and play some D. Not discounting what Oubre brings to the table and you can't ignore how he's helped the team with his attitude and energy. But how many swings come out in the draft alone whereas teams are dying for cornerstone PGs or bigs?

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 16998
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Superbone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:24 pm

I'm glad you mentioned Oubre's attitude and energy, Shel, as that is what was missing from your previous analysis. Maybe swings are abundant but you can't forget about what he brings to the team chemistry. I agree about the skills being abundant but Kelly likes being here, he likes his teammates, he's currently the heart and soul of the team. You can't discount that. That's not easy to achieve.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 16998
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Superbone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm

As expected. :(


An initial exam reveals Phoenix Suns swigman Kelly Oubre Jr. has suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
LazarusLong
Posts: 1839
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Early report: Oubre has a torn meniscus.

shit ...
Once upon a time, in what seems an epoch ago, the Phoenix Suns were a respectable NBA franchise ...

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 16998
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Superbone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:27 pm

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm
Early report: Oubre has a torn meniscus.

shit ...
Beat you by that much Agent 99.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
LazarusLong
Posts: 1839
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:28 pm

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:27 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm
Early report: Oubre has a torn meniscus.

shit ...
Beat you by that much Agent 99.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Once upon a time, in what seems an epoch ago, the Phoenix Suns were a respectable NBA franchise ...

User avatar
LazarusLong
Posts: 1839
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 pm

Well ... Cam gets added minutes.
And Saric gets to prove he deserves a roster spot with the Suns next year ...
Once upon a time, in what seems an epoch ago, the Phoenix Suns were a respectable NBA franchise ...

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 16998
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Superbone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 pm

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 pm
Well ... Cam gets added minutes.
And Saric gets to prove he deserves a roster spot with the Suns next year ...
Yep, that's the silver lining. At least we weren't in the playoff hunt. It could be worse.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by AmareIsGod » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:55 pm

So next season we're playing with Oubre on an expiring contract coming off knee surgery. Sweet!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8734
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Split T » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Not too worried about a meniscus surgery. Those happen all the time, players come back fine from it. This isn’t anything like an ACL...honestly this could have been much worse.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Devin Vassell • Kira Lewis Jr. • Saddiq Bey • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3973
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by specialsauce » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:13 pm

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:55 pm
So next season we're playing with Oubre on an expiring contract coming off knee surgery. Sweet!
I hate that Kelly is hurt and I really do wish we could’ve gotten an extended look at our rotation as-is, but
to me now will be a great time to evaluate how the team will look without Kelly. I’d prefer to trade him for a long term answer at starting PF. If we play well and stay in reasonable contention for a playoff spot til the end, it will only reinforce that he’s a luxury and not a core player for us. I really think Cam and Mikal are our future 3s.

My fear is that Jones uses this going forward as his talking point for standing pat and not making any moves. “Our starting five had the biggest net rating in the league before Kelly went down, and we feel that we need to see that through.”

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6134
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by In2ition » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:06 pm

I wish he wasn't under contract with the Pels, because Zylan Cheatham would have been a good emergency replacement, imo.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by AmareIsGod » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:19 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:13 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:55 pm
So next season we're playing with Oubre on an expiring contract coming off knee surgery. Sweet!
I hate that Kelly is hurt and I really do wish we could’ve gotten an extended look at our rotation as-is, but
to me now will be a great time to evaluate how the team will look without Kelly. I’d prefer to trade him for a long term answer at starting PF. If we play well and stay in reasonable contention for a playoff spot til the end, it will only reinforce that he’s a luxury and not a core player for us. I really think Cam and Mikal are our future 3s.

My fear is that Jones uses this going forward as his talking point for standing pat and not making any moves. “Our starting five had the biggest net rating in the league before Kelly went down, and we feel that we need to see that through.”


Wow. That sounds almost EXACTLY what he'd say. You sure you aren't James Jones?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
Danimal
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 am

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Danimal » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Who do we sign to our next 10 day?
Does this give us n injury exemption at all?

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3973
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by specialsauce » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:35 pm

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:19 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:13 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:55 pm
So next season we're playing with Oubre on an expiring contract coming off knee surgery. Sweet!
I hate that Kelly is hurt and I really do wish we could’ve gotten an extended look at our rotation as-is, but
to me now will be a great time to evaluate how the team will look without Kelly. I’d prefer to trade him for a long term answer at starting PF. If we play well and stay in reasonable contention for a playoff spot til the end, it will only reinforce that he’s a luxury and not a core player for us. I really think Cam and Mikal are our future 3s.

My fear is that Jones uses this going forward as his talking point for standing pat and not making any moves. “Our starting five had the biggest net rating in the league before Kelly went down, and we feel that we need to see that through.”


Wow. That sounds almost EXACTLY what he'd say. You sure you aren't James Jones?
:D :oops:

Drewsprocket
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Drewsprocket » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:19 pm

Buyout candidates? Who ya got?
...Crickets...

Post Reply