Game Day: Warriors (12-42) @ Suns (21-33), Wed 2/12/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Danimal

Re: Game Day: Warriors (12-42) @ Suns (21-33), Wed 2/12/20

Post by Danimal »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:23 pm
This looks like another lazy loss.
It felt like that even though we won.

But I’d still take the win.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I thought Okobo did great too. Rubio was in foul trouble and Okobo got extra minutes I think. I think he has been pretty good all season and has earned being Rubio’s BU. Carter has been up and down but he is a mini PJ Tucker with better ball handling skills.

It wasn’t pretty but, at this point any win is great.

Cam seem to be back in rhythm.

Booker seems to be back in rhythm miraculously after Lillard suggested Booker as his alt.

The new guy did help. They certainly needed another big with everybody hurt. Okobo turned his ankle pretty good from the video. Those guys always seem to play out the game and then it swells up and hurts like hell the next day and they get on the injured list for a week or so. Then again it’s All Star break.

Booker also tweaked an ankle or something early on too and was gimpy for awhile. Once again EJ brought up the fact that these guys have no ankle protection like they did in the old days of high tops and he thinks there are more ankle injuries as a result. He made fun of Oubre wearing Converse shoes. I forget the name he used for them. I don’t know it it was flats or sandals or something like that. Back when I messed around with basketball I was a walking ankle sprain with high tops. Landing on someone’s foot is a recipe for an ankle sprain. I suppose we should expect it with them jumping all over the place near each other.

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:11 am
We tried to give it away but 8 wins to go. Nice debut by Bolden. He was a difference maker. Don’t think we win this one with Diallo as our only big. Booker finally going to be an all-star?
Who requires an injury replacement? I haven't been paying attention. I know Ingram has an ankle thing right now.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:17 am
Who requires an injury replacement?
Dame.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Lillard pulled his groin last night so he's sitting out. Even if Ingram sits, he's a Forward so Book probably wouldn't get that spot.

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 pm
Glad Booker blocked/fouled Chris’s. Fuck that guy. I can forgive Bender for sucking because he at least tried and never came in out of shape. Chriss coming in as a fat lard at 20 is inexcusable. Chris’s puts up good stats in a losing effort because that’s what he puts forth.
Chriss has been solid all year long. Sure the warriors suck, but it’s not because of Chriss, he’s turning into a nice nba player. Yes, coming into the season out of shape was disappointing, it was also disappointing that Bender just didn’t do anything in the court when he was here. Chriss at least did stuff. I feel pretty justified though as Bender is out of the nba and Chriss is starting.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I can't really hate on Chriss. He had a whirlwind of coaches, terrible player development and a bunch of other things that set him back. By all accounts, he's a good kid. Just dealt a crap situation being drafted by us when he was.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:22 am
djy2j wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 pm
Glad Booker blocked/fouled Chris’s. Fuck that guy. I can forgive Bender for sucking because he at least tried and never came in out of shape. Chriss coming in as a fat lard at 20 is inexcusable. Chris’s puts up good stats in a losing effort because that’s what he puts forth.
Chriss has been solid all year long. Sure the warriors suck, but it’s not because of Chriss, he’s turning into a nice nba player. Yes, coming into the season out of shape was disappointing, it was also disappointing that Bender just didn’t do anything in the court when he was here. Chriss at least did stuff. I feel pretty justified though as Bender is out of the nba and Chriss is starting.
Marquese has always had some NBA level talent. Up top was the question mark. His attitude and commitment to learning were in question.

Bender ain’t it. Down below is the question mark. He just has no juice.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

EJ commented that Chriss has learned how to harness his athletic talent and use it to his advantage.

Previously, he looked like a kangaroo on acid, bounding around aimlessly. (My comment, not EJ's ;) )
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Solid bench play last night, as Bolden, Carter, Cam Johnson and Okobo had positive +/- ratings.
They made the difference in the game.
Okobo manned up after rolling his ankle, returning to the game and playing well.
Bolden made an impact for a guy who just got off the plane, more or less.
Carter continues to show that he does have an offensive game.
CJ’s distance shooting is coming back, and he had a couple of steals, also.
As for the starters, Bridges had three steal and two blocks (although only credited for one)
Diallo shows he can score, but is befuddled on defense at times.
It’s a win over the Warriors, to be sure, but the Suns got beat by a bad Pistons team, so nothing can be taken for granted these days.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Bridges needs to be our starting 3 next year. He’s proving he can fix his shooting form back to his college days, and if he can consistently shoot in the high 30s from 3, he’s the perfect complementary player for the big 2. Cam is just the perfect weapon off the bench. He can come in ice cold and drain it. If he bulks out maybe he can be our future 4, but he’d have to put on some good weight.

Carters intermittent success only excites me with the hope that a team comes calling for a trade of any kind. Same with Okobo.

I still hold hope for Jerome. His shots look good and he gets to the paint with ease. They will start falling. I think he just needs a consistent role, not sure why Monty doesn’t give him minutes ahead of the other two..

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"Bridges needs to be our starting 3 next year."

He just may be. Oubre could be dealt, if a significant upgrade can be arranged.
Good player with attractive contract.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Having two good young small forwards (Oubre and Bridges) is a good "problem" to have. And I kind of like the lineups where we play both of them together. They bring different valuable things to our lineup. I would trade either if a great player came available, but I'm not eager to part with either.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:26 am
Lillard pulled his groin last night so he's sitting out. Even if Ingram sits, he's a Forward so Book probably wouldn't get that spot.
Didn't BI make it as one of those "anything" spots?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 am
Having two good young small forwards (Oubre and Bridges) is a good "problem" to have. And I kind of like the lineups where we play both of them together. They bring different valuable things to our lineup. I would trade either if a great player came available, but I'm not eager to part with either.
It wasn't so great when you added Warren to the mix.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:20 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 am
It wasn't so great when you added Warren to the mix.
I didn't hate Warren, but I think the argument there was: we had too many SFs wanting minutes (four in total: TJ Warren, Josh Jackson, Oubre, Bridges), and Warren himself was an offensive black hole who did little else. He was also frequently injured with random concussions and head problems and such. Clearing out the logjam by ditching Warren and Jackson was generally good for us as a team, even if the transactions to get rid of them were pretty silly (giving away picks and assets).

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Warren was not interested in being here apparently. And that put the Suns in a difficult position when they decided to move him - he isn;t good enough that they could just hold on to him and expect the offers to get better and better.

They had two options - sell low, or hang on to him for another year.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695