NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by jonh »

I haven't spent much time investing in non-point guard prospects--I would love Haliburton or Hayes. If they aren't available, I would be interested in Wiseman, or trading the pick for a veteran. I am not interested in a 3/4 player. We had to give away a 2nd round draft pick and Melton because the last GM didn't realize why having a glut at one position was considered a bad thing.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

jonh wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:51 pm
I haven't spent much time investing in non-point guard prospects--I would love Haliburton or Hayes. If they aren't available, I would be interested in Wiseman, or trading the pick for a veteran. I am not interested in a 3/4 player. We had to give away a 2nd round draft pick and Melton because the last GM didn't realize why having a glut at one position was considered a bad thing.
We didn't have to make that trade at all and we made it because Josh Jackson was a cancer, not because of positional glut.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:31 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:07 pm
Again, it’s like having Pat Mahomes and drafting Russell Wilson as your fantasy backup QB. Only one can play, use the pick to draft someone who fits better.

Now if you want to draft him as a trade asset or you think he’s better than Ayton, sure I guess that can make some sense. I haven’t spent enough time, nor do I think there is enough to go on, to know if he’s better than Ayton.

And yes, if we somehow got Giannis, I would 100% move Ayton. They don’t make sense together.
First off, it's a bad analogy. QBs tend to play every snap. Not so with centers or any position. And, if both can hit 3s, they could play together from time to time, if the other skills mesh. If not, Ayton will play a maximum of 36 minutes per game and still probably miss 10 games.

He could very well be better than Ayton, and you could move Ayton at that time. Or not. Either way, you have rim running, sometimes stretch, shot blocking and rebounding big on the floor at all times to go with your wings and shooters. Seems ideal.

I think Ayton could play with Giannis much like the Lopez bros play center next to him. I doubt Giannis is going to embrace playing center full-time, so just getting rid of Ayton for the sake of getting rid of him is super short-sighted.
The analogy is for fantasy football, not real football. I think it works, but it’s fine if you don’t. The point is I don’t think Ayton or Wiseman can play the 4. Generally speaking, wings and guards can play multiple positions. If you take 2 SF’s, you can still play them together. I don’t think you can play two C’s together effectively. Unless one is a freak, like AD or Giannis. Same thing with fantasy fb, you can play multiple RB/WR. Anyways, I’m probably getting too far off topic.

And I’m not saying you’d just get rid of Ayton to get rid of him. You’d move him for a piece that fits better. Also, Brook Lopez works with Giannis because all he does on offense is shoot 3’s now. I don’t want to turn Ayton into that. How much did Robin play with Giannis? Also, how well did that combo fair in the postseason? I think the way to unlock Giannis is to give him a playmaking guard, keep Middleton and then get two other knockdown 3 pt shooters.

Imagine something like CP3/Matthews or Divencenzo/Middleton/Bertans/Giannis? They probably take a step back defensively, but that’s an offense that can maintain success in the playoffs. Their defense fell apart every year in the playoffs anyways.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:58 pm
jonh wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:51 pm
We didn't have to make that trade at all and we made it because Josh Jackson was a cancer, not because of positional glut.
I was actually referring to both Warren as well as Jackson. I don't want to wade into the topic too deeply here (its not really the place), but here is a quote of Jones talking about both trades last year:

“I think for the first time in awhile we have collective talent, where the talent of our guys complements each other seamlessly... We added the positions of need for us, point guard and power forward, we added positional depth, and we kept our core guys intact...If you look at T.J., T.J. is at a different place in his career. And at the small forward position, we have a lot of depth.”

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2019 ... son-warren

You could make the argument a similar situation happened a few years earlier at the point guard position. Im a fan of positionless players, but I am also a fan of addressing needs, and the team right now has a need at the power forward position and at the backup point guard position, so I am not getting invested into other players. If the Suns take them, then I will cheer for them, but I won't worry about it until then.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I actually don’t think we have any pressing needs. The bubble showed me we have a solid team. Now I don’t want to get too carried away on a small sample size, but I have no problem with the Bridges/Johnson/Oubre trio covering the minutes at the 4. We don’t need a power forward. Now I think those guys are versatile enough that we could make room for a 4 in the rotation, but one is not necessary.

A backup guard that can handle the ball and run some offense is a bigger need IMO. I loved what we saw from Cam Payne. He obviously won’t keep shooting over 50% from 3 though. I’d give him a shot at the backup pg spot though as I think he could be the answer. Drafting someone at 10 that can play backcourt minutes is my ideal situation. Haliburton is that guy to me.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:25 pm
I actually don’t think we have any pressing needs. The bubble showed me we have a solid team. Now I don’t want to get too carried away on a small sample size, but I have no problem with the Bridges/Johnson/Oubre trio covering the minutes at the 4. We don’t need a power forward. Now I think those guys are versatile enough that we could make room for a 4 in the rotation, but one is not necessary.

A backup guard that can handle the ball and run some offense is a bigger need IMO. I loved what we saw from Cam Payne. He obviously won’t keep shooting over 50% from 3 though. I’d give him a shot at the backup pg spot though as I think he could be the answer. Drafting someone at 10 that can play backcourt minutes is my ideal situation. Haliburton is that guy to me.
I agree that I am more concerned with the point guard position than the power forward position, which is why I am interested in Haliburton and Hayes.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:03 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
Again, it’s like having Pat Mahomes and drafting Russell Wilson as your fantasy backup QB. Only one can play, use the pick to draft someone who fits better.

Now if you want to draft him as a trade asset or you think he’s better than Ayton, sure I guess that can make some sense. I haven’t spent enough time, nor do I think there is enough to go on, to know if he’s better than Ayton.

And yes, if we somehow got Giannis, I would 100% move Ayton. They don’t make sense together.
First off, it's a bad analogy. QBs tend to play every snap. Not so with centers or any position. And, if both can hit 3s, they could play together from time to time, if the other skills mesh. If not, Ayton will play a maximum of 36 minutes per game and still probably miss 10 games.

He could very well be better than Ayton, and you could move Ayton at that time. Or not. Either way, you have rim running, sometimes stretch, shot blocking and rebounding big on the floor at all times to go with your wings and shooters. Seems ideal.

I think Ayton could play with Giannis much like the Lopez bros play center next to him. I doubt Giannis is going to embrace playing center full-time, so just getting rid of Ayton for the sake of getting rid of him is super short-sighted.
The analogy is for fantasy football, not real football. I think it works, but it’s fine if you don’t. The point is I don’t think Ayton or Wiseman can play the 4. Generally speaking, wings and guards can play multiple positions. If you take 2 SF’s, you can still play them together. I don’t think you can play two C’s together effectively. Unless one is a freak, like AD or Giannis. Same thing with fantasy fb, you can play multiple RB/WR. Anyways, I’m probably getting too far off topic.

And I’m not saying you’d just get rid of Ayton to get rid of him. You’d move him for a piece that fits better. Also, Brook Lopez works with Giannis because all he does on offense is shoot 3’s now. I don’t want to turn Ayton into that. How much did Robin play with Giannis? Also, how well did that combo fair in the postseason? I think the way to unlock Giannis is to give him a playmaking guard, keep Middleton and then get two other knockdown 3 pt shooters.

Imagine something like CP3/Matthews or Divencenzo/Middleton/Bertans/Giannis? They probably take a step back defensively, but that’s an offense that can maintain success in the playoffs. Their defense fell apart every year in the playoffs anyways.
So it wasn't for a lack of shooting or Giannis playing next to the Lopez bros that the Bucks lost. It was not having a go to player that can score at will from the outside, create for themselves and other, gets everyone in the right places and execute down the stretch. The Heat game planned against Giannis and walled off the rim at the end of the game, but Bledsoe was a liability on the floor. CP3 improves that team and maybe takes them to a championship level. I don't think they get Bertans on a MLE, but he would be great in that position. And that lineup that you suggested would be pretty lethal.

I do think that Wiseman is a freak athlete(almost like a taller Giannis), and the kind that could play next to Ayton, who is also a freak. Both can move their feet really well, get off the ground quickly and get down the floor in a hurry. I think that Wiseman could transition to the PF much easier than Ayton could though, as I believe in his jumper much more. It's not like they would be playing traditional centers next to each other, like Marc Gasol and a Jonas Valanciunas combination. It would be 2 guys with a lot of length that can guard multiple positions.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I wasn't poo pooing Wiseman either. Just saying that video is limiting in what it can show.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:49 pm
I am frustrated that the draft is now in November. I thought that one of the benefits of having the shortened offseason would be not having to wait 2 months after the season ended for the draft.
depending on how long each series go, I think they are planning on wrapping up the finals in early October. So it isn't really that long between crowning a champ and the draft.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:04 pm
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

So it wasn't for a lack of shooting or Giannis playing next to the Lopez bros that the Bucks lost. It was not having a go to player that can score at will from the outside, create for themselves and other, gets everyone in the right places and execute down the stretch. The Heat game planned against Giannis and walled off the rim at the end of the game, but Bledsoe was a liability on the floor. CP3 improves that team and maybe takes them to a championship level. I don't think they get Bertans on a MLE, but he would be great in that position. And that lineup that you suggested would be pretty lethal.

I do think that Wiseman is a freak athlete(almost like a taller Giannis), and the kind that could play next to Ayton, who is also a freak. Both can move their feet really well, get off the ground quickly and get down the floor in a hurry. I think that Wiseman could transition to the PF much easier than Ayton could though, as I believe in his jumper much more. It's not like they would be playing traditional centers next to each other, like Marc Gasol and a Jonas Valanciunas combination. It would be 2 guys with a lot of length that can guard multiple positions.
That’s fair. And I’ll admit I’m sure you have a much better understanding of what Wiseman can do. Would you take him at 1 if you were Minny?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 pm
jonh wrote:
I am frustrated that the draft is now in November. I thought that one of the benefits of having the shortened offseason would be not having to wait 2 months after the season ended for the draft.
depending on how long each series go, I think they are planning on wrapping up the finals in early October. So it isn't really that long between crowning a champ and the draft.
But longer than normal. Last year the finals ended on June 13th and the draft was June 20th

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:33 pm
Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
But longer than normal. Last year the finals ended on June 13th and the draft was June 20th
True but didn't they get to do the combine a month before? Can't really do that this year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
True but didn't they get to do the combine a month before? Can't really do that this year.
Ya, gotta figure out a way to give teams some time to do some research.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
Ya, gotta figure out a way to give teams some time to do some research.
I think it's more to get aligned on the salary cap going forward. Teams can't make draft-day trades without knowing their cap situation.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s true too

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:31 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:04 pm
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

That’s fair. And I’ll admit I’m sure you have a much better understanding of what Wiseman can do. Would you take him at 1 if you were Minny?
With a player like KAT, I would. He could help their team defense in a very short time, and that looks like it's the their biggest need right now.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t know what I’d do if I was Minny. Not a lot of great options. They’ve got two all offense, no defense cornerstones. With Beasley, they’ve got another pretty good shooter. I don’t know where they are at with Culver, he had a pretty disappointing rookie year.

I’m not a fan of Anthony Edwards, he just screams Dion Waiters to me, but in this draft I can understand that pick. Think Minny needs to swing for the fences. If Edwards hits, maybe he’s something between Bradley Beal and Paul Pierce. That could be nice.

I don’t like Lamelo for them. Toppin makes some sense offensively, but man that would set them up for an awful defensive team.

I could understand Wiseman as KAT is a truly special offensive player, who can easily be a 4 offensively. Defense would be interesting, not sure who you’d want chasing people around the perimeter.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If Wiseman falls to 10 (he won't), you've got to consider him. Most other guys on your list would be gone But you've only got 2 minutes to think it over.

To me, he would be a Porter Jr kind of pick. You grab him knowing your team can afford to gamble on a draft pick. Or pick him and trade him to someone else who wants to gamble.

Split, if Williams and Hampton are the only guys left on your list, do you take one of them over Wiseman?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think he'll go #3. Yup, it'll be Three Wiseman. Holy cow, Wiseman is gonna be a player of biblical proportions. Jesus he's gonna be good. He'll come bearing gifts for any team that drafts him. It just makes frankincense to draft him! But I worry that the Orlando Magi will take him first.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:55 am
I think he'll go #3. Yup, it'll be Three Wiseman. Holy cow, Wiseman is gonna be a player of biblical proportions. Jesus he's gonna be good. He'll come bearing gifts for any team that drafts him. It just makes frankincense to draft him! But I worry that the Orlando Magi will take him first.
Myrrh...
"Be Legendary."