NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:55 am
I think he'll go #3. Yup, it'll be Three Wiseman. Holy cow, Wiseman is gonna be a player of biblical proportions. Jesus he's gonna be good. He'll come bearing gifts for any team that drafts him. It just makes frankincense to draft him! But I worry that the Orlando Magi will take him first.
LOL!
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:37 am
If Wiseman falls to 10 (he won't), you've got to consider him. Most other guys on your list would be gone But you've only got 2 minutes to think it over.

To me, he would be a Porter Jr kind of pick. You grab him knowing your team can afford to gamble on a draft pick. Or pick him and trade him to someone else who wants to gamble.

Split, if Williams and Hampton are the only guys left on your list, do you take one of them over Wiseman?
Well I’d probably trade back with someone who wants Wiseman. I haven’t spent enough time evaluating him to decide whether I’d personally take him or not. I would understand the pick if we made it though. He’s obviously talented.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:47 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:29 pm
carey wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:48 pm
Who does everyone like at #10 so far? Give me your top 3.
My top choice is to trade down for multiple picks. If that doesn't happen, my preference right now would be:

Aaron Nesmith
Jalen Smith
Saddiq Bey

Although part of me would be sick over leaving the 2020 NBA Draft without Desmond Bane. I don't think there is any chance Haliburton makes to #10, and I would be profoundly disappointed if we drafted Devin Vassell.
What's your problem with Vassell?
I have no desire to spend another lottery pick on a low production, 3&D wing.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:08 am
Maybe, I don’t trust workout videos though. There was a big feature on Mo Bamba right before the draft and had videos of him hitting shots that had me thinking for a second we could trade down and snag him. He’s done nothing in the nba.
Nothing? I don't think that is accurate. He was a raw freshman and has been in the league for two years, his second, of course, limited by COVID-19 and injury. He plays limited minutes behind Nikola Vucevic, and his production in those minutes has been good.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:37 am
To me, he would be a Porter Jr kind of pick. You grab him knowing your team can afford to gamble on a draft pick.
I don't think the Suns are at the point where they can gamble with picks. I'm advocating against drafting someone based on potential, but I do feel like the Suns still need draft picks to work out; they aren't a luxury. The Suns are not where Denver was when they picked Michael Porter Jr.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:44 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:47 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:29 pm
carey wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:48 pm
Who does everyone like at #10 so far? Give me your top 3.
My top choice is to trade down for multiple picks. If that doesn't happen, my preference right now would be:

Aaron Nesmith
Jalen Smith
Saddiq Bey

Although part of me would be sick over leaving the 2020 NBA Draft without Desmond Bane. I don't think there is any chance Haliburton makes to #10, and I would be profoundly disappointed if we drafted Devin Vassell.
What's your problem with Vassell?
I have no desire to spend another lottery pick on a low production, 3&D wing.
Fair enough
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:50 pm
Split T wrote:
Maybe, I don’t trust workout videos though. There was a big feature on Mo Bamba right before the draft and had videos of him hitting shots that had me thinking for a second we could trade down and snag him. He’s done nothing in the nba.
Nothing? I don't think that is accurate. He was a raw freshman and has been in the league for two years, his second, of course, limited by COVID-19 and injury. He plays limited minutes behind Nikola Vucevic, and his production in those minutes has been good.
Sure it was a bit of an exaggeration, but he looked like he was worth mentioning in the same breath as the top guys in that draft(Ayton, doncic, Bagley, JJJ, Trae) he’s clearly not been on their level. We’d all be extremely disappointed if we traded down and drafted him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:48 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Sure it was a bit of an exaggeration, but he looked like he was worth mentioning in the same breath as the top guys in that draft(Ayton, doncic, Bagley, JJJ, Trae) he’s clearly not been on their level. We’d all be extremely disappointed if we traded down and drafted him.
Is he playing only 14 minutes per game for us in that hypothetical? And what else did the Suns get in trading down?

I don't think anyone thought he had superstar potential. I think everyone knew he was going to rebound, block shots, and in the pre-draft workouts, he showed 3-point range, which he has continued to flash in his limited time. I think he's fine. I'd like to see him actually get a chance to play significant minutes before I rule him a disaster.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:52 pm
Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Is he playing only 14 minutes per game for us in that hypothetical? And what else did the Suns get in trading down?

I don't think anyone thought he had superstar potential. I think everyone knew he was going to rebound, block shots, and in the pre-draft workouts, he showed 3-point range, which he has continued to flash in his limited time. I think he's fine. I'd like to see him actually get a chance to play significant minutes before I rule him a disaster.
If this is true, he should be a trade target if he continues to do well in limited minutes.

carey

Post by carey »

I haven’t seen anyone discuss the possibility of trading up for Haliburton. Is that a possibility? What would you offer a team in the 4-7 range?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 pm
I haven’t seen anyone discuss the possibility of trading up for Haliburton. Is that a possibility? What would you offer a team in the 4-7 range?
I made an exercise of rosterbation on Aug. 23: "For Haliburton, I'd talk to ATL. Their GM has showed he is willing to trade down and gamble big; perhaps our #10 and a future 1stR can net us their #6, which probably secures one of Hali or Toppin. CLE (#5), DET (#7), NYK (#8) should be willing to listen too".

Some people liked it, some didn't. I believe the right moment to spend future draft stock is now for us. You don't send out unprotected firsts, but we can afford to use the 2021 pick (then two seconds) to grab a rookie you think that can be a contributor on a competing team. On that note, I'd also consider to spend such pick for a vet who raises the floor of the team. At some point you need to start playing with your chips.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:52 pm
Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:

My point is that feature on him made him out to be a superstar. Not saying he can’t be a good player. But the feature and his workout videos were misleading.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:25 am
carey wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 pm
I made an exercise of rosterbation on Aug. 23: "For Haliburton, I'd talk to ATL. Their GM has showed he is willing to trade down and gamble big; perhaps our #10 and a future 1stR can net us their #6, which probably secures one of Hali or Toppin. CLE (#5), DET (#7), NYK (#8) should be willing to listen too".

Some people liked it, some didn't. I believe the right moment to spend future draft stock is now for us. You don't send out unprotected firsts, but we can afford to use the 2021 pick (then two seconds) to grab a rookie you think that can be a contributor on a competing team. On that note, I'd also consider to spend such pick for a vet who raises the floor of the team. At some point you need to start playing with your chips.
I like Halliburton, but we did also spend two 1st rounders to get Mikal Bridges. Are these guys each worth two 1st round picks? I guess if they end up being stars, they are. It feels like a steep price to move up just a few spots in the draft.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I think Monty and the roster finally has the capability of developing their youth. As opposed to just handing out tons of minutes to rookies to lose their ass night in night out. So I think whatever player they select has a better chance of reaching their potential. That said, Haliburton looks like a couple years away from helping his team. I wonder if his game will translate in a much faster game. On paper his numbers look perfect: Great height, shooting percentages, assists, rebounding, assit:turn, but when you watch his game he seems slow and awkward. I don’t know how to make sense of it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s a little unconventional. But I think he can contribute right away. I think he’s the best passer in the draft, just seems like a very high IQ guy. He can also shoot. He’s probably just a catch and shoot guy right now, but that’s fine.

I don’t think I’d trade up for him though. Not if it takes a 1st. I think someone will be there at 10. If Haliburton isn’t, Hayes, Vassell or Nesmith will be.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:50 pm
He’s a little unconventional. But I think he can contribute right away. I think he’s the best passer in the draft, just seems like a very high IQ guy. He can also shoot. He’s probably just a catch and shoot guy right now, but that’s fine.

I don’t think I’d trade up for him though. Not if it takes a 1st. I think someone will be there at 10. If Haliburton isn’t, Hayes, Vassell or Nesmith will be.
He’s a good pick 8-10 in this draft. He’s a bit of a head scratcher I guess. Numbers wise he’s a top 5 pick. Maybe I’m wrong.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:43 pm
Split T wrote:

He’s a good pick 8-10 in this draft. He’s a bit of a head scratcher I guess. Numbers wise he’s a top 5 pick. Maybe I’m wrong.
I don’t think people see a lot of upside with him. Everyone wants to draft a star. I think Haliburton is the type of guy winning teams have though. He’s not gonna be a top 3 guy, but as your 4th or 5th starter after coming off the bench a few years.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd have no problem with him at 10, tho the form on his shot is concerning. But he's not someone I'd be itching to trade up for.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya that’s fair, I’m not trading up for him either if it costs a future 1st. I’d be happy to keep the 1st and take Vassell or Nesmith.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:01 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:43 pm
Split T wrote:

I don’t think people see a lot of upside with him. Everyone wants to draft a star. I think Haliburton is the type of guy winning teams have though. He’s not gonna be a top 3 guy, but as your 4th or 5th starter after coming off the bench a few years.
I agree with this. I saw a mock draft from a Warriors beat writer on the Athletic this morning. He had the Warriors swapping their #2 with the Suns for Oubre and #10. Then he had the Suns taking Haliburton at #2 and also said that the money they cleared in the trade help them go after FVV. This seems odd to have Rubio, FVV and Haliburton. I guess I have a hard time seeing this scenario play out.
https://theathletic.com/2082696/2020/09 ... -new-no-1/