NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wormwood

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:10 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:58 am
Jones seems to like guys that stay a couple years in school and can hit the 3.
I’d rather he take Haliburton, Nesmith, or Vassell in that case.
That's my EXACT order of preference of people who might be available at 10.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:43 pm
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
I’m high on all 3. I’d throw Killian Hayes in there too, but I doubt he drops. Tyrell Terry is my dark horse. He’s gone from 6’1 155 to 6’3 175. He’s an elite shooter who’s got deep range off the dribble. I’m intrigued.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I like the idea of Kennard, but he hasn't been healthy yet. He's had a variety of knee and foot issues that might not scare me individually, but it adds up. He's a risk. I definitely don't want to give up a lottery pick and an asset. It's got to be #10 for Kennard + something else coming back, and I don't think Detroit would do that.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:00 am
Here’s my suns draft board:

1. Obi Toppin
2. Tyrese Haliburton
3. LaMelo Ball
4. Killian Hayes
5. Aaron Nesmith
6. Tyrell Terry
7. Devin Vassell
8. RJ Hampton
9. Tyrese Maxey
10. Alexsej Pokusevski

I’ll probably change it before the draft, but where I’m at right now.
I change my mind on these guys weekly. Toppin looks like the perfect fit when you watch him score, but those defensive sequences are painful. Haliburton is one of the best 2-way players in the draft, but his awkward elbows and knees make me wonder if he will be smooth enough to play on the ball in the NBA. etc.

I like all of these guys (some more than others), but I don't love any of them. I'll be interested to see what comes out of the pre-draft interviews and workouts.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:36 am
Split T wrote:

1. Obi Toppin
2. Tyrese Haliburton
3. LaMelo Ball
4. Killian Hayes
5. Aaron Nesmith
6. Tyrell Terry
7. Devin Vassell
8. RJ Hampton
9. Tyrese Maxey
10. Alexsej Pokusevski

I change my mind on these guys weekly. Toppin looks like the perfect fit when you watch him score, but those defensive sequences are painful. Haliburton is one of the best 2-way players in the draft, but his awkward elbows and knees make me wonder if he will be smooth enough to play on the ball in the NBA. etc.

I like all of these guys (some more than others), but I don't love any of them. I'll be interested to see what comes out of the pre-draft interviews and workouts.
Toppin does have defensive concerns, but I feel like defense doesn’t always translate the way you I think it will. Bad college defenders turn into good nba defenders from time to time. Good college defenders turn into bad nba defenders as well. I’m sure there are people who can evaluate those skills better than me, but I’d draft Toppin for his pretty elite and well rounded offensive game, then hope to teach him some defensive skills.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:13 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:05 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:47 pm

No, just 10 for Kennard.
They are both expiring, and both will be getting raises (unless the cap implodes for Kelly). The draft at least gives us salary control over our roster. I wouldn't do that deal.
I keep Oubre and/or use him in another trade. I could see your idea having value though. How about Jerome + 10 for Kennard?
It depends if I have something worked out already to better control the salary cap. If Kenard was on a rookie deal with 2-3 years left, I would totally do it.
I guess I'm trying to build the best team possible within the cap rules as my primary plan, not staying under the cap as my primary plan. Maybe we just have different goals.
it may not be your motivation, but there is no way that after the year they just had, the Suns are willing to be big spenders and pay luxury taxes. It would be one thing if they were the Nuggets and just came within a few games of making it to the Finals. But we didn't even make the playoffs, and if the season would have finished normally in April, we wouldn't even have been in the playoff conversation.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:54 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:36 am
Split T wrote:

1. Obi Toppin
2. Tyrese Haliburton
3. LaMelo Ball
4. Killian Hayes
5. Aaron Nesmith
6. Tyrell Terry
7. Devin Vassell
8. RJ Hampton
9. Tyrese Maxey
10. Alexsej Pokusevski

Toppin does have defensive concerns, but I feel like defense doesn’t always translate the way you I think it will. Bad college defenders turn into good nba defenders from time to time. Good college defenders turn into bad nba defenders as well. I’m sure there are people who can evaluate those skills better than me, but I’d draft Toppin for his pretty elite and well rounded offensive game, then hope to teach him some defensive skills.
That's how I feel, too. This week. Even if he doesn't work out for the Suns, I think his scoring will make him a valuable asset.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:54 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:13 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:05 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 pm

They are both expiring, and both will be getting raises (unless the cap implodes for Kelly). The draft at least gives us salary control over our roster. I wouldn't do that deal.
I keep Oubre and/or use him in another trade. I could see your idea having value though. How about Jerome + 10 for Kennard?
It depends if I have something worked out already to better control the salary cap. If Kenard was on a rookie deal with 2-3 years left, I would totally do it.
I guess I'm trying to build the best team possible within the cap rules as my primary plan, not staying under the cap as my primary plan. Maybe we just have different goals.
it may not be your motivation, but there is no way that after the year they just had, the Suns are willing to be big spenders and pay luxury taxes. It would be one thing if they were the Nuggets and just came within a few games of making it to the Finals. But we didn't even make the playoffs, and if the season would have finished normally in April, we wouldn't even have been in the playoff conversation.
I don't think it's even possible for them to pay the luxury tax next yr. They can go over the cap, but aren't going to come close to the luxury tax unless they max out Baynes, Saric, and Carter after going to the cap with a FA signing, which we know isn't going to happen.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:43 pm
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
I’m high on all 3. I’d throw Killian Hayes in there too, but I doubt he drops. Tyrell Terry is my dark horse. He’s gone from 6’1 155 to 6’3 175. He’s an elite shooter who’s got deep range off the dribble. I’m intrigued.
Yeah, I liked Terry, but thought he was a little too small and weak. I would add that he's also a pretty good passer with good vision. Now, he's more explosive too? He jumps up there as maybe my favorite at 10 now. It's still early though.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep, if we can snag an on ball scoring threat for the bench who can double as our long term plan at pg, sign me up. I haven’t bumped him ahead of Haliburton, Hayes, or Nesmith yet, but 2 of those guys probably won’t be there, and he’s neck and neck with Nesmith for me at 10.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am
Yep, if we can snag an on ball scoring threat for the bench who can double as our long term plan at pg, sign me up. I haven’t bumped him ahead of Haliburton, Hayes, or Nesmith yet, but 2 of those guys probably won’t be there, and he’s neck and neck with Nesmith for me at 10.
Nesmith, although he provides size and shooting, is a terrible creator and passer. Like worse than Oubre, imo. He's pretty far down the list for me. He doesn't move the ball without turning it over.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 pm
Split T wrote:
Nesmith, although he provides size and shooting, is a terrible creator and passer. Like worse than Oubre, imo. He's pretty far down the list for me. He doesn't move the ball without turning it over.
I'm not a huge fan either.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I just hope they grab the best available player or deal. I don’t see the Suns being pressed to draft by position. We could use a back up 4/5, another shooter/ballhandler. But I hope Cam Payne and Carter will hold up next years as our backcourt off the bench.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
Ya I get that, we’d still need to prioritize getting a ball handler in free agency if we draft Nesmith, but he might be the best shooter in the draft. Not many guys are 6’6 with 7’0 wingspans and can shoot like him. He could be a Duncan Robinson that plays D, or Klay Thompson. Klay was never much of a creator or passer. The question is just whether Nesmith is as special a shooter as those guys.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:26 pm
You sure you don't want to trade up for Toppin? Hali I know it's a no.
Toppin is probably at the top of my draft board. I really like him. But I just can't bring myself to be enthusiastic about giving up a lot to move up in this draft. I just don't think the value is there. I would entertain moving Rubio + #10 to the Warriors for #2, but nothing more than that.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:51 am
He's a stretch 5, but I don't see him as a 4. As long as the Suns get some players in both the draft and FA that improve the team best, I don't know if I care so much who they pick at this point.
Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:54 am
Ya definitely a 5. I wouldn’t mind picking him in a trade down, but 10’s too high for me. We need to get another ball handler off the bench imo. I don’t love the free agent options.
You both nailed it. Rankin is way off in calling Jalen Smith a 4. He could spend some time there, but he doesn't have the lateral quickness to play it full time. He really is better suited for the 5. I like him though.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
He doesn't move the ball without turning it over? I think that is a conclusion based on a false correlation. He averaged 1.7 turnovers a game. That is outstanding for someone who averages 20+ ppg. He has poor assists numbers, but that doesn't mean he can't move the ball without turning it over. It just means he isn't skilled at finding guys in scoring position.

That doesn't outweigh his measurables and shooting. You call him a terrible creator; I'm not sure if that is a reference to his passing or his scoring. He isn't looking to dribble a ton to score on his man, but that is one of the reasons why I like him. He pretty much is a .5 scorer; he is going to catch and shoot, drive, or take a dribble or two and execute a step-back.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya that’s not a surprise at all. I’d be disappointed if we took him at 10 because that’s too high, but I think he’s a good player and can help us for sure. Just need to trade back if he’s our guy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 pm
Ya that’s not a surprise at all. I’d be disappointed if we took him at 10 because that’s too high, but I think he’s a good player and can help us for sure. Just need to trade back if he’s our guy.
Same story, different year?