NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:06 am
Tyrell...3 APG avg on 30 minutes...🤦‍♂️...
I wouldn’t be too worried about that. He showed some pretty good playmaking ability and he’ll have time to develop it further. We wouldn’t be asking him to come in and start. He’d have 2 years to develop behind Rubio. His shooting is the prize.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:16 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
I wouldn’t be too worried about that. He showed some pretty good playmaking ability and he’ll have time to develop it further. We wouldn’t be asking him to come in and start. He’d have 2 years to develop behind Rubio. His shooting is the prize.
Agreed. And we don't need Rubio 2.0 as we saw the rest of the team develop good ball movement habits last season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In-depth mock...don't think it's necessarily accurate with where guys will go but some good descriptions of the prospects.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am
Split T wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Agreed. And we don't need Rubio 2.0 as we saw the rest of the team develop good ball movement habits last season.
If Rubio is injured and/or bails to FA in after this contract and we're still looking at each other stupid because we still don't have a break out point guard, let m know how that works out for you. I see some unique potential in Hayes...or perhaps even in Haliburton...and if we pass on them and/or doing anything else to shore us up there, ya can look in the mirror when we hit the skids...

Split T

Post by Split T »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:25 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am
Split T wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
If Rubio is injured and/or bails to FA in after this contract and we're still looking at each other stupid because we still don't have a break out point guard, let m know how that works out for you. I see some unique potential in Hayes...or perhaps even in Haliburton...and if we pass on them and/or doing anything else to shore us up there, ya can look in the mirror when we hit the skids...
I don’t think Hayes is gonna be ready to contribute day 1. I do love Haliburton though. As for Terry, I wouldn’t take him above those two guys either, but I don’t think either of them will be there at 10.

Have you watched Terry at all? He’s the best pull up shooter in the draft, he’s got incredible range. I’m not saying he’s gonna be Curry, Lillard, or Trae, but he’s got that deep range, off the dribble, pull up shooting skill that they have. He does a great job off ball as well, he gets himself into good position and is a knockdown shooter. And he has some playmaking chops, sure it needs to develop, but we don’t need a rubio averaging 9 assists a game.

The knock on him was he came to school at 6’1 155, and he’s apparently 6’3 178 now. He could form a deadly backcourt with Booker in the future, so I don’t think drafting him is doing nothing about the PG position.

This is long, but worth a watch:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've been watching a lot of Terry and he has some Curry-like tendencies and style. He's fundamentally sound too, which I think Jones wants in is players over pure athleticism, speed and "potential". He didn't look all too thin or underweight at Stanford and used his body well in the lane and against bigger players finishing at the rim.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Doesn't Stanford run an offense with lots of movement similar to Monty's?

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:09 am
I'd be OK with Oubre and 10 for Gordon and 15. There are guys who might be there at 10 who I like, but I'm not sure there's a ton of dropoff between 10 and 15 either. If we nab a guy like Bane at 15 and add Gordon at PF, I'd say we net out pretty well in the deal. The Magic may have their eyes on a PG of the future at 10 who may not be there at 15 too in terms of Hayes, Halliburton, Lewis, etc.
I looked at this trade a few months back:

http://www.phx-suns.net/viewtopic.php?f ... on#p172937

Conclusion was that Orlando needs to give us something as Oubre is the better player.

If it was Oubre and 15 for Gordon and 10 it might make sense, but even that you could argue isn't getting enough value for Phx. I'd be tempted at that price though, just not our 10 for their 15 is all.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That's why I said Oubre, Jerome, and 10 for Gordon, 15, and 45.

They give us 2 picks and take some dead salary.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Roger that.

Still think I’d prefer to keep the better talent and higher pick over the salary dump but could be convinced otherwise.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 pm

Interesting, although I am not sold that Gordon is better (for us at least) than Oubre. Or in other words, I am not sure that we'd be a better team with Gordon. Trading 10 for 15 and 45 means we concede ORL is losing in the Gordon-Oubre swap, which is questionable unless you focus only on contracts.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:15 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 pm

Interesting, although I am not sold that Gordon is better (for us at least) than Oubre. Or in other words, I am not sure that we'd be a better team with Gordon. Trading 10 for 15 and 45 means we concede ORL is losing in the Gordon-Oubre swap, which is questionable unless you focus only on contracts.
I agree. I think Kelly is just a better player right now. To make the trade I think these things need to be true:

1. You have doubts about Kelly playing here long term(Gordon is signed to a team friendly long term deal)
2. You think Gordon can play the 4 better than Kelly.
3. Gordon will see a bump playing in our offense, with our players.

Think #1 is huge, and is an absolute must. If Kelly wants to be here and we can resign him next offseason, I don’t make the trade.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:23 am
I agree. I think Kelly is just a better player right now. To make the trade I think these things need to be true:

1. You have doubts about Kelly playing here long term(Gordon is signed to a team friendly long term deal) - Need more info. I operate under the assumption that if ORL checks him and still want to make the trade, it means his knee is fine (they meniscus often means other parts can end up disbalanced).

2. You think Gordon can play the 4 better than Kelly. - I believe he can. He is a different player, though. The opposite kind of tweener. But an even better athlete and defender. Suspect shoot but decent if it's at least 33%. This is why I'd give up future draft stock to keep Oubre. A rotation with those two plus Cam is so interesting, when you also have Ayton at C and Bridges-Booker-Rubio-Carter-Payne at guard. This means I am willing to give up #10 (especially if some small draft asset for this year comes our way, say their #45).

3. Gordon will see a bump playing in our offense, with our players. - I am not sure, but truth is I don't need that in order to make the move. Average Aaron Gordon is a solution for a problem at PF.

Think #1 is huge, and is an absolute must. If Kelly wants to be here and we can resign him next offseason, I don’t make the trade. - Agreed on wanting to keep Oubre. That's why I am interested in talking about #10.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Just 10 for Gordon? I don't think that gets done, and I don't know how much sense it makes to run Oubre, Gordon, Brides, and Cam.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:34 pm
Just 10 for Gordon? I don't think that gets done, and I don't know how much sense it makes to run Oubre, Gordon, Brides, and Cam.
When was the last time we had the kind of depth where that would make sense? Seems like it’s been a long time.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:03 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:34 pm
When was the last time we had the kind of depth where that would make sense? Seems like it’s been a long time.
That group makes sense the way the game is played today. 144 minutes per game over SG/SF/PF for Booker (34), Oubre (30), Gordon (28), Bridges (28), Cam (24).

Even more room if Booker spends some time at PG or we go nuts and play ultra small with Gordon at C (not necessarily advocating for it, just saying it could happen).

I only see a problem if Oubre is not ok with his minutes, since he played 35mpg last season and he'd be on a contract year, but the season will still be hard on bodies (and his is recovering from knee surgery).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I worry about taking on Gordon without also getting an asset like a better pick. Gordon doesn't shoot or score nearly as well as Oubre, and he's recently had a bad leg injury. Do we think Gordon and Ayton are a good fit together? I worry that Gordon is mostly an athlete, and that as his athleticism wanes, he won't be a net positive on the court.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Those are my concerns with Gordon too. I don't think he's as good as Oubre, but he may not have to be as an athletic roleplaying 4 who could get easier looks playing with Rubio and Book than he's had in Orlando where he's pretty much been defacto #1. Friendly contract and we're not getting him on the wrong side of 30. Better size at the 4 and clears a bit of a jam with minutes between Mikal, Cam and Oubre. I'd worry about losing Kelly's energy and intangibles more than anything because I think swapping Gordon and Kelly is largely a wash.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think most of us are on the same page. Kelly is better and we’d rather keep him. The only way it makes sense is if their are other factors...like not feeling like we’ll be able to resign Kelly after this year.

jonh

Post by jonh »

The Ringer's latest mock draft has us grabbing Devin Vassell. His comp is literally Oubre and Bridges. I would rather have Kira Lewis Jr. or even Tyrell Terry, just from a needs perspective.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/#mock

Also, they predict Hayes dropping to 8--I would be willing to move up to 8, if the price is right. Although the right price for me in this draft is a few obligatory 2nd round picks.