NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:24 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:30 pm
Flex from Jersey is saying that there have been talks between Phx and Orlando on a trade back. If someone that Orlando wants falls to 10, there could be a trade back to 15, and it may or may not include a player coming back.
Is this an Aaron Gordon trade? Who else does Orlando have that we’d be interested in?
I think they could be interested in Evan Fournier too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:30 pm
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Flex from Jersey is saying that there have been talks between Phx and Orlando on a trade back. If someone that Orlando wants falls to 10, there could be a trade back to 15, and it may or may not include a player coming back.
Is this an Aaron Gordon trade? Who else does Orlando have that we’d be interested in?
Ya I could see that, but what’s the trade there? He’s got a 17 million dollar player option I believe. Are we using up our cap space to get him? I don’t want to move Oubre for Fournier.

Aaron Gordon and 15 for Kelly and 10 seems like the most logical thing. Kelly and Aaron are pretty similar players, with Aaron being a bit bigger, and more of a passer than Kelly. Aaron also is signed to a longer term contract that is pretty team friendly. Is that worth moving down in the draft? I’m not sure I don’t just prefer Kelly to Aaron. He’s a better shooter/scorer.

But if we’re targeting guys like Bane or Kira or Terry, might as well trade down and get them a bit cheaper. Does Orlando have a 2nd? I think I’d want that thrown in.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s some Terry buzz

Gotta say, I am quite intrigued by Terry. I would not be upset in the least if that’s the route we took. Draft Terry, bring back Payne. Look at someone like Christian Wood with our cap space. If that’s a no go, I’d preserve flexibility and either run it back with Saric on a 1 year deal or go grab someone like Millsap on a 1 year deal. Try again in 2021 to land a bigger target.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:11 pm
I saw that tweet, where is the buzz coming from? I’ve heard the Bane buzz, but what about the other two?

Would you move 10 and Jerome to Boston for 14 and 47?

I’m not sure it works cap wise, can Boston absorb any salary? If they can, that saves us 3 million, puts us up to 22 million in space, better positioned to chase Christian Wood or Fred VanVleet.
What are you seeing in Christian Wood?

Injury riddled and poor stats is what I’m seeing on paper, but have never really seen him play ..

Split T

Post by Split T »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:07 pm
Split T wrote:
I saw that tweet, where is the buzz coming from? I’ve heard the Bane buzz, but what about the other two?

I’m not sure it works cap wise, can Boston absorb any salary? If they can, that saves us 3 million, puts us up to 22 million in space, better positioned to chase Christian Wood or Fred VanVleet.

Injury riddled and poor stats is what I’m seeing on paper, but have never really seen him play ..
He’s had an interesting career, Detroit is the first place that’s really let him play consistent minutes. I don’t know of any injury history, his games played issue is more of just not getting a chance.

Look at what he did last year with Detroit. 56% from the field, 38% from 3. He averaged 24/10 and shot 40% from 3 after Drummond was traded. He’s still young(25) and looks primed for a breakout. He’s one of the few guys that I think could be a major piece for us moving forward. He can play the 4 or 5. Have him space the floor when he plays alongside Ayton. Then have him slide over to the 5 when Ayton sits.

I think Ayton can be a big piece for us, but if he never develops the offensive aggression we all want to see, I think Wood could be our 5. He’s not the defensive prospect that Ayton is, but I like his offense better. He attacks the rim and he’s already a very good 3 pt shooter.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:35 pm
3rdside wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:07 pm
Split T wrote:

He’s had an interesting career, Detroit is the first place that’s really let him play consistent minutes. I don’t know of any injury history, his games played issue is more of just not getting a chance.

Look at what he did last year with Detroit. 56% from the field, 38% from 3. He averaged 24/10 and shot 40% from 3 after Drummond was traded. He’s still young(25) and looks primed for a breakout. He’s one of the few guys that I think could be a major piece for us moving forward. He can play the 4 or 5. Have him space the floor when he plays alongside Ayton. Then have him slide over to the 5 when Ayton sits.

I think Ayton can be a big piece for us, but if he never develops the offensive aggression we all want to see, I think Wood could be our 5. He’s not the defensive prospect that Ayton is, but I like his offense better. He attacks the rim and he’s already a very good 3 pt shooter.
Okay - I just figured only 130 games or so in 4 seasons meant he was injured.

Yes good season last season but is he a game changer? Hard to say, which is why id rather roll with Oubre at the 4 as Oubre arguably is and we know what we're getting with him.

DO you propose keeping Oubre?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m all for keeping Oubre as well. Wood would essentially replace the Saric + Baynes minutes. I think he potentially could be a game changer. He finished the season looking like Amare with a 3 pt shot. Now I’m not expecting 24/10 and 40% from 3, but he gives us an aggressive and athletic rim runner who can also step out and hit the 3. That’s a very interesting piece to me.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Woods is a UFA with salary expectations in the $10m range:

“The Pistons have to the early Bird rights – that allow them to offer a first-year salary of around $10 million while still preserving their cap space. If they feel the bidding will start higher than that, they will have more cap space to use than all but the Knicks and Hawks.

https://www.talkbasket.net/95513-the-pi ... ba-analyst

And that salary is in the Saric range who's an RFA:

2yr at $12m/yr according to BSOTS, with the 2nd year being a team option, is what they think he'll cost:

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020 ... ario-saric

Saric's stats in the bubble are pretty good also (albeit without Oubre):

8 games played, 23.9 minutes per game

14.8 PPG — 7.6 RPG — 1.8 APG

57.4% FG — 52.4% 3P — 87.9% FT

Is it a sideways move for Woods?
Is it a risk taking someone so untested?
Is it preferable to stick with what we know with Saric?
Is it better to have the flexibility of Saric with his 2nd year as a team option, rather than having Woods tied to multi-year deal?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I liked bubble Saric, but I think it’s pretty risky to assume we’ll get that moving forward. He definitely won’t shoot over 50% from 3. Saric adds a little playmaking to the frontcourt, but I think Wood is a better shooter and he’s a much more athletic player and better finisher.

That being said, if Wood says no, and FVV isn’t an option, I’m all for a 2 year deal for Saric, with year 2 being a team option. Run it back, add a draft pick and see what you’ve got. Gives you another year to evaluate the long term status of Kelly and Saric. I’d also add Ayton and Rubio.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:08 pm
I’m all for keeping Oubre as well. Wood would essentially replace the Saric + Baynes minutes. I think he potentially could be a game changer. He finished the season looking like Amare with a 3 pt shot. Now I’m not expecting 24/10 and 40% from 3, but he gives us an aggressive and athletic rim runner who can also step out and hit the 3. That’s a very interesting piece to me.
I've just watched some footage - he does look good, and he's definitely more athletic than Saric (not hard there).

He's tall as well, but so is Saric.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 pm
Woods is a UFA with salary expectations in the $10m range:

“The Pistons have to the early Bird rights – that allow them to offer a first-year salary of around $10 million while still preserving their cap space. If they feel the bidding will start higher than that, they will have more cap space to use than all but the Knicks and Hawks.

https://www.talkbasket.net/95513-the-pi ... ba-analyst

And that salary is in the Saric range who's an RFA:

2yr at $12m/yr according to BSOTS, with the 2nd year being a team option, is what they think he'll cost:

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020 ... ario-saric

Saric's stats in the bubble are pretty good also (albeit without Oubre):

8 games played, 23.9 minutes per game

14.8 PPG — 7.6 RPG — 1.8 APG

57.4% FG — 52.4% 3P — 87.9% FT

Is it a sideways move for Woods?
Is it a risk taking someone so untested?
Is it preferable to stick with what we know with Saric?
Is it better to have the flexibility of Saric with his 2nd year as a team option, rather than having Woods tied to multi-year deal?
Just for the sake of clarity, I don't believe that Detroit has his Bird Rights, but it doesn't matter. They have more than enough money to sign him. So, it's really up to him and where he wants to be.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not full bird rights, but early bird rights. But ya, like you said, they’ve got enough space that it doesn’t really matter. The question will be whether he wants to play in Detroit. I’d think playing with a guard who can get him the ball would matter to him. Do you want Derrick Rose and Luke Kennard or Ricky Rubio and Devin Booker? Though Ayton is kind of in his way here.

Atlanta has space and he’d make a nice pairing with Trae, but Atlanta also has Collins and Capela. The Knicks have Mitchell Robinson and Julius Randle with no good guards. He could start at C for the Hornets, but are Rozier and Graham the guards you want? I guess they could draft someone like Lamelo and pair him with Wood. Maybe?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think there's a (very slim) possibility of a sign and trade for Wood. If we use cap space on FVV, and if Detroit wants to compete next year, they could be interested in Rubio or Oubre.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I kind of think Wood playing for the Suns next yr seems pretty unlikely, tbh. Even though I would like to see it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Yeah, I agree, In2. But it's fun to think about.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:37 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Ya I could see that, but what’s the trade there? He’s got a 17 million dollar player option I believe. Are we using up our cap space to get him? I don’t want to move Oubre for Fournier.

Aaron Gordon and 15 for Kelly and 10 seems like the most logical thing. Kelly and Aaron are pretty similar players, with Aaron being a bit bigger, and more of a passer than Kelly. Aaron also is signed to a longer term contract that is pretty team friendly. Is that worth moving down in the draft? I’m not sure I don’t just prefer Kelly to Aaron. He’s a better shooter/scorer.

But if we’re targeting guys like Bane or Kira or Terry, might as well trade down and get them a bit cheaper. Does Orlando have a 2nd? I think I’d want that thrown in.
I wouldn't hate that trade. I think Gordon would improve his shooting 5s in Monty's system, and he's a good passer who would keep the offence flowing. Also of note, Gordon's pay goes down yearly. 18 next year and 16 the year after.

I would love to get 15 and 45 from them. There's a good chance for Killian Tillie, Paul Reed, Grant Riller, or Malachi Flynn at 45.

Could we trick them into taking Jerome too?

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Tyrell...3 APG avg on 30 minutes...🤦‍♂️...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd be OK with Oubre and 10 for Gordon and 15. There are guys who might be there at 10 who I like, but I'm not sure there's a ton of dropoff between 10 and 15 either. If we nab a guy like Bane at 15 and add Gordon at PF, I'd say we net out pretty well in the deal. The Magic may have their eyes on a PG of the future at 10 who may not be there at 15 too in terms of Hayes, Halliburton, Lewis, etc.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:50 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:37 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I wouldn't hate that trade. I think Gordon would improve his shooting 5s in Monty's system, and he's a good passer who would keep the offence flowing. Also of note, Gordon's pay goes down yearly. 18 next year and 16 the year after.

I would love to get 15 and 45 from them. There's a good chance for Killian Tillie, Paul Reed, Grant Riller, or Malachi Flynn at 45.

Could we trick them into taking Jerome too?
Ya I wouldn’t hate it either. Kelly, Jerome, and 10 for Gordon, 15 and 45? Seems fair, though I do like Kelly and would hate to see him go. If he doesn’t seem like he’s staying long term though, it makes sense.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:09 am
I'd be OK with Oubre and 10 for Gordon and 15. There are guys who might be there at 10 who I like, but I'm not sure there's a ton of dropoff between 10 and 15 either. If we nab a guy like Bane at 15 and add Gordon at PF, I'd say we net out pretty well in the deal. The Magic may have their eyes on a PG of the future at 10 who may not be there at 15 too in terms of Hayes, Halliburton, Lewis, etc.
Ya, I’d bet they’d love to put Haliburton next to Fultz.