NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by O_Gardino »

Thanks for the info, 3rdside and Split T. There's a lot of good posts above, so I'm not going to quote them all and respond individually, but I think we basically agree on Hayes.

If he's there he might be my guy.

It's just such a weird draft. Would not surprise me at all if the top 6 are not the 6 best players in a few years.

Ball - Does not play defense, has an unfixable shot, and passes up simple plays to go for the highlight.
Haliburton - Can't shoot off the dribble and may not have the physicality or aggressiveness to be an impact starter.
Hayes - Not a great athlete, not a good shooter.

Then there are Hampton and Kira Lewis Jr. Those guys are not pure passers, but very smooth athletes who play both sides of the court.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just need TOO to tells us who we should get since he nailed Tatum so well.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:53 am
Thanks for the info, 3rdside and Split T. There's a lot of good posts above, so I'm not going to quote them all and respond individually, but I think we basically agree on Hayes.

If he's there he might be my guy.

It's just such a weird draft. Would not surprise me at all if the top 6 are not the 6 best players in a few years.

Ball - Does not play defense, has an unfixable shot, and passes up simple plays to go for the highlight.
Haliburton - Can't shoot off the dribble and may not have the physicality or aggressiveness to be an impact starter.
Hayes - Not a great athlete, not a good shooter.

Then there are Hampton and Kira Lewis Jr. Those guys are not pure passers, but very smooth athletes who play both sides of the court.
More on Hayes's stats:

- Tankathon stats are based on the blending of his 33 games season made up of 20 league games, 10 Eurocup games and 3 German Cup games
>>> So they're correct

- BBallRef use just his 10 Eurocup games where he performed much better vs the other games
>>> I checked if these games came earlier or later in the season - they definitely came earlier
>>> They lost 9 of them so he played well in tough games
>>> In Eurocup vs League games he played 10% more (27.5mins vs 25mins) and shot a lot more 3's (4.1 vs 2.75) at a better rate (.390 vs .218)

- His overall TS% is .585 which is good (Devin Booker .600 in college and .568 career to date); meaning he's a very strong 2pt and FT shooter, offsetting a weak 3pt%.

Conclusion:

I'm not worried about his ability to shoot, even the 3 as there's enough to suggest he'll improve.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Lamelo Ball on the other hand can't shoot:

.458% 2pt%
.250 3pt%
.723 FT%
.459 TS%

I honestly wouldn't draft him based on that if I had a top 5 pick, probably even at 10 if Hayes and Haliburton are also available.

There's plenty enough on Hayes for me to put him over Okoro, Vassell and Nesmith (his position of need helps) and hypothetically if Ball, Hayes and Haliburton are available I think I'd go in this order:

- Haliburton
- Hayes
- Ball

Shooting always a premium and Haliburton is a college .645% TS.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

A little random but maybe a good time to remind about Lonzo Ball college stats (they don't mean everything):

.732 2pt% (.446 NBA career / .442 last season)
.412 3pt% (.341 NBA career /.375 last season)
.673 FT% (.487 NBA career / .566 last season)
.673 TS% (.485 NBA career / .517 last season)

The list of players who had terrible college stats but turned it around in the NBA is low (or non-existent?) - haven't done too much looking but there's a couple threads here about it and I spot checked a few TS%'s and none are as bad as Lamelo Ball's:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4 ... llege_who/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6 ... _shooters/

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Nesmith looks like the surest thing for the 10th pick. I’m fine loading the roster up with another 3 and D. Maybe his defense isn’t quite there but he would automatically be our 2nd or 3rd best shooter. Additionally he has length, agility, and the maturity to make it in the league for a long time. This pick would just build off what we’re doing this past year by having Book surrounded by shooters at the 3 and 4 slots.
I really liked what Payne and Carter did in the bubble together and could see us roll with that in lieu of drafting a Rubio understudy.
Imagine our run n gun bench.
Payne
Carter
Nesmith
Cam Johnson
Saric

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:06 pm
Nesmith looks like the surest thing for the 10th pick. I’m fine loading the roster up with another 3 and D. Maybe his defense isn’t quite there but he would automatically be our 2nd or 3rd best shooter. Additionally he has length, agility, and the maturity to make it in the league for a long time. This pick would just build off what we’re doing this past year by having Book surrounded by shooters at the 3 and 4 slots.
I really liked what Payne and Carter did in the bubble together and could see us roll with that in lieu of drafting a Rubio understudy.
Payne
Carter
Nesmith
Cam Johnson
Saric
If you want the surest thing, you trade 10, with Jerome and Lecque for Kennard. You save money while getting a more proven player in the NBA that has distribution and ball handling ability.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:44 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Payne
Carter
Nesmith
Cam Johnson
Saric
If you want the surest thing, you trade 10, with Jerome and Lecque for Kennard. You save money while getting a more proven player in the NBA that has distribution and ball handling ability.
Kennard and Toppin sounds appealing but you're gonna have to pay Kennard the year after next, so I think I'd take cap space and Haliburton for a shot at a bigger FA instead .. I think.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:04 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:44 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Payne
Carter
Nesmith
Cam Johnson
Saric
Kennard and Toppin sounds appealing but you're gonna have to pay Kennard the year after next, so I think I'd take cap space and Haliburton for a shot at a bigger FA instead .. I think.
I don't think you could get Kennard and Toppin. You would sacrifice Toppin. I was just addressing the surest thing. Sure, you will have to pay Kennard, just like you may pay Saric and Carter this yr or Oubre next yr.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Sorry dude - at the pub! Shouldn't be posting with beers under the belt.

I'm out of that trade (you did clearly say the trade includes #10 ..) so yeah, I'm out on that one for the cap reasons given..

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:33 pm
Sorry dude - at the pub! Shouldn't be posting with beers under the belt.

I'm out of that trade (you did clearly say the trade includes #10 ..) so yeah, I'm out on that one for the cap reasons given..
Haha, enjoy yourself.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

I saw that tweet, where is the buzz coming from? I’ve heard the Bane buzz, but what about the other two?

Would you move 10 and Jerome to Boston for 14 and 47?

I’m not sure it works cap wise, can Boston absorb any salary? If they can, that saves us 3 million, puts us up to 22 million in space, better positioned to chase Christian Wood or Fred VanVleet.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Another way to create space would be to just draft Pokusevski and stash him in Europe. That gets us to 23ish million. You could move back a few spots, pick up a 2nd rounder and still bring in a piece next year.

Minny at 17/33 or Dallas at 18/31 could be options.

Sacramento at 12/35 as well.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Lewis seems to be in that 8-12 range. Terry I think has been getting buzz in general and might be moving up some boards.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:39 pm
Lewis seems to be in that 8-12 range. Terry I think has been getting buzz in general and might be moving up some boards.
Gotcha, ya with it coming out that Terry grew an inch or 2 and put on like 15 pounds, he becomes interesting. He might be the best pull up shooter in this draft. He’s also got some playmaking chops. I’m gonna take a look at Lewis again, I liked him as a sleeper back when he was a late 1st guy, but cooled on him as he rose. Since then, he has a lot of buzz and some draft guys I follow are high on him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bane I could see us trading back for. His shot is effortless and he's got the size as a 2-3 and maybe stretch 4. Seems like a Jones type of player and would be insurance against Oubre leaving/being traded. Don't love his shorter wingspan and I think his handles need to get a lot better. But he could be a Cam-type of player for us.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flex from Jersey is saying that there have been talks between Phx and Orlando on a trade back. If someone that Orlando wants falls to 10, there could be a trade back to 15, and it may or may not include a player coming back.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:30 pm
Flex from Jersey is saying that there have been talks between Phx and Orlando on a trade back. If someone that Orlando wants falls to 10, there could be a trade back to 15, and it may or may not include a player coming back.
Is this an Aaron Gordon trade? Who else does Orlando have that we’d be interested in?