NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6169
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:56 pm
Been burned way too many times there. I thought Josh would be a good shooter. He had a funky release, but he had higher percentages than Tatum and Isaac.

I thought Chriss would be a good floor spacer. He also had pretty decent numbers in college and had a pretty good looking release. He’s finally come into his own as a basketball player and it’s got a lot to do with him abandoning being a stretch 4 and becoming a rolling 5.

Shooting was supposed to be Bender’s ready made nba skill. He only got worse.
Well first, Bender and Chriss were terrible prospects. I think that is more shame on you (and more importantly, the Suns) than a cautionary tale about shooting. Jackson is just a bust; he was a tremendous college freshman and had talent; but he also is a knucklehead and mentally just isn't there at the NBA level.

I love Reed's defensive potential. He is a threat in the passing lanes, he is a great shot-blocker, he can defend all over the court, and he is a monster rebounder. He has great athleticism and tremendous length. So for me, there is enough there outside of the stretch potential to warrant consideration at 10.
I agree, but honestly I would take him as a 2nd 1st round pick and develop him as a project, but really put a good deal of development into him. Not like their bad development plans thry did in the past. There are a couple things I would like to iron out with him.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

Online
User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5649
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by O_Gardino » Mon May 11, 2020 12:30 pm

The more highlights I watch, the more I like Halliburton. Crossing my fingers that he falls to us.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5364
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Mon May 11, 2020 10:55 pm

It will help the Suns that Haliburton isn't a great scorer. But I'm really worried about a few teams that are ahead of us: Golden State will take a liking to him; Charlotte would be a great fit too.

At this point, and of course it is still early, it's Haliburton at 10, and if he isn't there, trade down with Boston and pick up 17 & 26.
2020 Draft: Tyrese Haliburton. Paul Reed. Aaron Nesmith. Desmond Bane. Theo Maledon. Malik Fitts. Jalen Smith. Marcus Zegarowski. Sam Merill. Reggie Perry.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5364
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 pm

Taking a closer look at Malachi Flynn.
2020 Draft: Tyrese Haliburton. Paul Reed. Aaron Nesmith. Desmond Bane. Theo Maledon. Malik Fitts. Jalen Smith. Marcus Zegarowski. Sam Merill. Reggie Perry.

Online
User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5649
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by O_Gardino » Tue May 12, 2020 6:08 am

INFORMER wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:55 pm
It will help the Suns that Haliburton isn't a great scorer. But I'm really worried about a few teams that are ahead of us: Golden State will take a liking to him; Charlotte would be a great fit too.

At this point, and of course it is still early, it's Haliburton at 10, and if he isn't there, trade down with Boston and pick up 17 & 26.
Agreed. I would hope Boston values Vassell enough to do the 2 for 1 straight up.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 5681
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by ShelC » Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 am

If we go smaller, which I think is very possible, I think we go with a more athletic combo scorer/shooter for more firepower in the backcourt. And again, we know Jones values shooters. Rubio's great for what he is, but eventually we'll need a younger, more dynamic offensive player next to Book. Not necessarily ball dominant, since it seems Book may play more PG in those spots.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Tue May 12, 2020 9:12 am

ShelC wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 am
If we go smaller, which I think is very possible, I think we go with a more athletic combo scorer/shooter for more firepower in the backcourt. And again, we know Jones values shooters. Rubio's great for what he is, but eventually we'll need a younger, more dynamic offensive player next to Book. Not necessarily ball dominant, since it seems Book may play more PG in those spots.
So who would that be? Cole Anthony? Tyrese Maxey?
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Devin Vassell • Kira Lewis Jr. • Saddiq Bey • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6169
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Tue May 12, 2020 10:06 am

Split T wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:12 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 am
If we go smaller, which I think is very possible, I think we go with a more athletic combo scorer/shooter for more firepower in the backcourt. And again, we know Jones values shooters. Rubio's great for what he is, but eventually we'll need a younger, more dynamic offensive player next to Book. Not necessarily ball dominant, since it seems Book may play more PG in those spots.
So who would that be? Cole Anthony? Tyrese Maxey?
I'm a little down on Anthony. He was older than those in his class and more physically mature, so he bullied other guys. Then he gets to UNC and guys are starting to catch up to him maturity wise and he was so so. Kind of reminds me of Josh Jackson in that sense.

I like Grant Riller as that dynamic athletic combo scorer/shooter. Might seem like a reach now, but I think he continues to rise until the draft. Like INF, I'm looking into Malachi Flynn rn too. Maxey seems to rise to the competition and always plays best in the bigger games. I'm not sure if that's entirely good or not rn.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

Online
User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5649
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by O_Gardino » Tue May 12, 2020 2:07 pm

Another guy Jones might consider at 10 is Saddiq Bey. If he wants to keep going small. Bey is a big SF who can shoot, handle and dunk.

His shooting form is terrible, so maybe that rules him out for Jones. But he made 2.5 per game at 45%.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6169
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Tue May 12, 2020 5:14 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 pm
Taking a closer look at Malachi Flynn.
He looks really nice. He's a little slight, but he has a very clean shot release and seems to have a very high bballiq. The Advanced stat numbers are impressive. His AST:TO ratio is nice too.
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compar ... ant-riller

"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4096
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Shabazz » Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm

I actually feel very comfortable in the #10 spot. The bust potential of the players being mocked at 1-4 seems significantly higher than a typical year and their upside doesn’t seem that much higher than some of the players who’ll slip to our presumed slot. Considering the cap ramifications of getting one of the top picks and I’d almost prefer we didn’t move up.

I think we’ll get a rotation player at #10.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4096
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Shabazz » Tue May 12, 2020 8:30 pm

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:14 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 pm
Taking a closer look at Malachi Flynn.
He looks really nice. He's a little slight, but he has a very clean shot release and seems to have a very high bballiq. The Advanced stat numbers are impressive. His AST:TO ratio is nice too.
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compar ... ant-riller

I like Kira Lewis a little more.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 pm

I listened to a Hollinger and Ford podcast earlier and Hollinger said he saw the suns guys as much more active on the scouting circuit this year. That was good to hear.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Devin Vassell • Kira Lewis Jr. • Saddiq Bey • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm
I actually feel very comfortable in the #10 spot. The bust potential of the players being mocked at 1-4 seems significantly higher than a typical year and their upside doesn’t seem that much higher than some of the players who’ll slip to our presumed slot. Considering the cap ramifications of getting one of the top picks and I’d almost prefer we didn’t move up.

I think we’ll get a rotation player at #10.
Who you liking at 10 right now?
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Devin Vassell • Kira Lewis Jr. • Saddiq Bey • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4096
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Shabazz » Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm

Split T wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm
I actually feel very comfortable in the #10 spot. The bust potential of the players being mocked at 1-4 seems significantly higher than a typical year and their upside doesn’t seem that much higher than some of the players who’ll slip to our presumed slot. Considering the cap ramifications of getting one of the top picks and I’d almost prefer we didn’t move up.

I think we’ll get a rotation player at #10.
Who you liking at 10 right now?
The first 4 guys in your list. There's a small chance Toppin falls. Same with Okongwu (though he's not a clean fit). I'm lukewarm on Avdija, but think he's got an NBA floor. Don't really care for Maxey or Cole Anthony or Okoro.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4096
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Shabazz » Tue May 12, 2020 9:55 pm

I don't know what to make of Paul Reed. The D looks legit, but i get Hakim Warrick vibes on offense.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17062
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Superbone » Tue May 12, 2020 10:19 pm

Without March Madness, I’m relying on you all.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Wed May 13, 2020 6:03 am

Shabazz wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm
I actually feel very comfortable in the #10 spot. The bust potential of the players being mocked at 1-4 seems significantly higher than a typical year and their upside doesn’t seem that much higher than some of the players who’ll slip to our presumed slot. Considering the cap ramifications of getting one of the top picks and I’d almost prefer we didn’t move up.

I think we’ll get a rotation player at #10.
Who you liking at 10 right now?
The first 4 guys in your list. There's a small chance Toppin falls. Same with Okongwu (though he's not a clean fit). I'm lukewarm on Avdija, but think he's got an NBA floor. Don't really care for Maxey or Cole Anthony or Okoro.
Sounds like we’re on the same page. Toppin would be interesting, but I’m operating under the assumption he won’t make it to 10. Gotta look at him though in case he does fall. I haven’t spent enough time looking at Avdija...nothing stood out to me in the few minutes I did though. I’m with you on Maxey, Anthony, and Okoro. I’m not really sure why Okoro has risen so far on a lot of mocks. He’ll probably be a good defensive player, but the offense doesn’t seem to be there. I’ve heard some good things about Maxey, so he’d be my choice of those 3, but right now I definitely prefer Haliburton, Hayes, Vasell, and Lewis
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Devin Vassell • Kira Lewis Jr. • Saddiq Bey • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

Online
User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5649
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by O_Gardino » Wed May 13, 2020 6:16 am

Lewis is interesting because he's got good athleticism and can really get to the rim. He's not really a shooter and he has tunnel vision. But if Jones thinks Lewis can develop, this could be a great spot for him. No immediate pressure with Rubio in front of him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Wed May 13, 2020 7:41 am

Not a knockdown shooter, but he can shoot. He’s at 36.6% on almost 5 attempts a game
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Devin Vassell • Kira Lewis Jr. • Saddiq Bey • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

Post Reply