NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Shabazz » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:44 pm

I think, unlike with Bender, his potential is not theoretical. He's produced at every level. There are concerns, for sure. Like, who does he defend and what's with the awful FT shooting? But he's a multi-faceted basketball player.

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5777
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by O_Gardino » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:59 pm

I think Avdija has a chance to go in the top 6 in this crazy draft. Or down at 14.

And Beeg Jake is one of my all time favorite bad Suns.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9016
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:14 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:55 pm


I’m getting a little more comfortable with Avdija if he’s there at 10.
This isn’t meant to be a knock on Avdija, I really don’t have an opinion on him. I haven’t spent any time watching him, his game on paper didn’t impress me. I would love if his recent good play bumped him into the top 10 and knocked another player down to us at 10. I just can’t see James Jones taking a euro at 10. I’m not even sure we have euro scouts.
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • Zeke Nnaji • Paul Reed • Tyrell Terry • Desmond Bane

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Shabazz » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:15 pm

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:55 pm


I’m getting a little more comfortable with Avdija if he’s there at 10.
This isn’t meant to be a knock on Avdija, I really don’t have an opinion on him. I haven’t spent any time watching him, his game on paper didn’t impress me. I would love if his recent good play bumped him into the top 10 and knocked another player down to us at 10. I just can’t see James Jones taking a euro at 10. I’m not even sure we have euro scouts.
I agree and I also think the Dario experience may have soured him as Avdija is often compared to Dario, fair or not.

I have players I'd prefer, but I would still take Avdija over Okoro or Cole Anthony. I also think there's a decent chance he has a better career than Obi.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6362
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:48 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:55 pm


I’m getting a little more comfortable with Avdija if he’s there at 10.
This isn’t meant to be a knock on Avdija, I really don’t have an opinion on him. I haven’t spent any time watching him, his game on paper didn’t impress me. I would love if his recent good play bumped him into the top 10 and knocked another player down to us at 10. I just can’t see James Jones taking a euro at 10. I’m not even sure we have euro scouts.
I agree and I also think the Dario experience may have soured him as Avdija is often compared to Dario, fair or not.

I have players I'd prefer, but I would still take Avdija over Okoro or Cole Anthony. I also think there's a decent chance he has a better career than Obi.
This could be true. If I was super confident in the development staff, I would go Poku without question at 10. I just don't know how good the strength training staff is, nor if Mark Brysnt can cultivate a multifaceted player like Poku. I'd be afraid they would force him to add too much weight and it would slow him down and force him to play center, when his best position is PF.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Shabazz » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:59 pm

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:48 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:55 pm


I’m getting a little more comfortable with Avdija if he’s there at 10.
This isn’t meant to be a knock on Avdija, I really don’t have an opinion on him. I haven’t spent any time watching him, his game on paper didn’t impress me. I would love if his recent good play bumped him into the top 10 and knocked another player down to us at 10. I just can’t see James Jones taking a euro at 10. I’m not even sure we have euro scouts.
I agree and I also think the Dario experience may have soured him as Avdija is often compared to Dario, fair or not.

I have players I'd prefer, but I would still take Avdija over Okoro or Cole Anthony. I also think there's a decent chance he has a better career than Obi.
This could be true. If I was super confident in the development staff, I would go Poku without question at 10. I just don't know how good the strength training staff is, nor if Mark Brysnt can cultivate a multifaceted player like Poku. I'd be afraid they would force him to add too much weight and it would slow him down and force him to play center, when his best position is PF.
Poku is much more of a Bender-type to me. All theoretical upside, very little track record of production against high level competition. Almost every successful European player with the exception of Giannis had a track record against top-level competition. The theoretical guys have such a high bust rate.

I'm not saying Poku can't succeed, but if you could measure players on a outcome scale, with 0 being Thabeet-level bust and 10 being Giannis-level stud, I'd have Poku's potential range from 0-8, with the likeliest outcome at a 3. With Avdija it would be a 3-7 range, with the likeliest outcome being a 5 or 6.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6362
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:07 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:48 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:55 pm


I’m getting a little more comfortable with Avdija if he’s there at 10.
This isn’t meant to be a knock on Avdija, I really don’t have an opinion on him. I haven’t spent any time watching him, his game on paper didn’t impress me. I would love if his recent good play bumped him into the top 10 and knocked another player down to us at 10. I just can’t see James Jones taking a euro at 10. I’m not even sure we have euro scouts.
I agree and I also think the Dario experience may have soured him as Avdija is often compared to Dario, fair or not.

I have players I'd prefer, but I would still take Avdija over Okoro or Cole Anthony. I also think there's a decent chance he has a better career than Obi.
This could be true. If I was super confident in the development staff, I would go Poku without question at 10. I just don't know how good the strength training staff is, nor if Mark Brysnt can cultivate a multifaceted player like Poku. I'd be afraid they would force him to add too much weight and it would slow him down and force him to play center, when his best position is PF.
Poku is much more of a Bender-type to me. All theoretical upside, very little track record of production against high level competition. Almost every successful European player with the exception of Giannis had a track record against top-level competition. The theoretical guys have such a high bust rate.

I'm not saying Poku can't succeed, but if you could measure players on a outcome scale, with 0 being Thabeet-level bust and 10 being Giannis-level stud, I'd have Poku's potential range from 0-8, with the likeliest outcome at a 3. With Avdija it would be a 3-7 range, with the likeliest outcome being a 5 or 6.
I was looking at him through my Bender goggles, and if I thought he was anything like him with the passivity, timidness, fake passing, dribbling and shooting skills, I wouldn't have recommended him.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9016
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:33 am

Been doing some more prospect watching. More and more I just want to end up with Haliburton. Think he just fits real nicely. He can come off the bench at first. He can play on and off the ball a bit. He’s a great passer, he’ll move the ball and fit the .5 offense really well. He can hit a spot up 3(shot is a bit awkward) and he’s got the length to be a versatile defender.

He is very skinny, not an elite athlete, and his awkward shooting form kinda hurts his ability as a pull up threat. So he’s a touch limited as an on ball guy, but I don’t see that as a huge problem playing alongside Rubio and Booker.

Other thoughts:

If we jump into the top 4, my first choice would be to trade down, pick up additional assets and draft Haliburton. There are two guys up there though I could get behind drafting.

Obi Toppin - I think his offensive game would be a great fit. He can stretch the floor to give Booker/Ayton space to operate. He’d be a dangerous put back threat or dump off option if his man collapses to help. He’s also an elite roll guy and lob threat. Reminds me of John Collins.

Defensively he was a mess in college, so that’s not ideal as I was hoping he could play some backup 5, but we’d be pretty exposed defensively in those lineups

LaMelo Ball - I’ve resisted including him here because he has some pretty big weaknesses, but his court vision and passing ability is top in this class. For as good as his playmaking skills are, his shot selection and shooting efficiency are equally bad. He approaches the game like he’s Trae Young as a shooter/scorer, but he’s more like Westbrook in terms of efficiency right now.

I’m sure the shot will improve some. If you can get his shot selection under control, he could be like Lonzo with maybe a little more scoring ability.

No thanks on Anthony Edwards or James Wiseman. I’ve cooled a bit on Killian Hayes as well. He shot well during the euro cup, but his overall shooting numbers don’t look great. I don’t really have an opinion on Avdija. I was underwhelmed by his numbers.

I still do really like Devin Vassell, he’s pretty similar to Mikal, but having guys that shoot and play D around your core is always good. I think Aaron Nesmith is interesting. Especially if we plan to address our backup pg and pf spots in free agency. Or if Saric/Jerome show us something in the bubble.
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • Zeke Nnaji • Paul Reed • Tyrell Terry • Desmond Bane

Online
User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 6012
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by ShelC » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:44 am

Thoughts on Hampton?

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9016
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:00 pm

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:44 am
Thoughts on Hampton?
I’m intrigued by his size/skill/athleticism combo. He’s one though where I just don’t think there’s enough to go on for me to have any idea what he’s gonna end up like. Definitely someone you want to get in for a workout. I’d love to see what his work ethic and love for the game is like. If he loves the game and is gonna work hard to improve, there’s a lot there to work with.
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • Zeke Nnaji • Paul Reed • Tyrell Terry • Desmond Bane

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9016
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Few other thoughts:

Tyrese Maxey, Cole Anthony, and Kira Lewis Jr

I’m probably highest on Lewis of these 3. But I think all 3 are just backup guards. I don’t see a whole lot of long term starting pg potential. Lewis is the best athlete and had the better production. But they’re all score first guards with some limitations as passers/playmakers.

I think Inf threw out a Collin Sexton comp for Lewis and I like that. I could see Anthony being like a Patty Mills guy.


A couple guys I’d look at later in the draft if we acquire another pick:

Desmond Bane - think his size and shooting ability could be a steal in the 2nd.

Tyrell Terry - really small, but a fantastic shooter. Could be a microwave bench guy.

Paul Reed - We’ve talked a lot about him. He looks pretty special defensively. If he can shoot, he’s a major steal.

Jalen Smith - Always good to have bigs that can shoot.
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • Zeke Nnaji • Paul Reed • Tyrell Terry • Desmond Bane

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Shabazz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:45 pm

The best comp I’ve seen on Toppin is David Lee.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9016
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:45 pm
The best comp I’ve seen on Toppin is David Lee.
That’s pretty good. I’m sure Lee would have shot 3’s in today’s game. Lee was a pretty good athlete, but I don’t remember it showing forth as much in games like it does for Toppin. Maybe I’m misremembering Lee though.
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • Zeke Nnaji • Paul Reed • Tyrell Terry • Desmond Bane

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Shabazz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:55 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:45 pm
The best comp I’ve seen on Toppin is David Lee.
That’s pretty good. I’m sure Lee would have shot 3’s in today’s game. Lee was a pretty good athlete, but I don’t remember it showing forth as much in games like it does for Toppin. Maybe I’m misremembering Lee though.
He had some ups.


User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5594
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:51 pm

I think Toppin is closer to post-microfracture Amar'e than he is David Lee.

David Lee wasn't a bad athlete, but Obi is in another class.
2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Leandro Bolmaro - Lamine Diane - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5594
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:33 am
Been doing some more prospect watching. More and more I just want to end up with Haliburton. Think he just fits real nicely. He can come off the bench at first. He can play on and off the ball a bit. He’s a great passer, he’ll move the ball and fit the .5 offense really well. He can hit a spot up 3(shot is a bit awkward) and he’s got the length to be a versatile defender.

He is very skinny, not an elite athlete, and his awkward shooting form kinda hurts his ability as a pull up threat. So he’s a touch limited as an on ball guy, but I don’t see that as a huge problem playing alongside Rubio and Booker.
I was reading an interview done a month or so ago, and Haliburton says he has put on considerable weight/muscle.

I've been a fan, but I was a little bothered by his conference play. I watched two games about a month ago, and it was scary how quickly he gives up the ball and how often he kills his dribble without being in a position to make a play. He wallflowers a lot.
2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Leandro Bolmaro - Lamine Diane - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5594
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:05 pm

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:33 am
LaMelo Ball - I’ve resisted including him here because he has some pretty big weaknesses, but his court vision and passing ability is top in this class. For as good as his playmaking skills are, his shot selection and shooting efficiency are equally bad. He approaches the game like he’s Trae Young as a shooter/scorer, but he’s more like Westbrook in terms of efficiency right now.
I was against Ball for awhile, but right now I would be fine with him. His shooting scares me, but it is hard to ignore his combination of size, athleticism, passing, rebounding, and defensive potential. Plus he would give us the lineup flexibility that I have always coveted.
2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Leandro Bolmaro - Lamine Diane - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5594
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:17 pm

This is encouraging about Zeke Nnaji:
Now the evaluation process begins all over again. Holed up in Minnesota, where, Nnaji is quick to point out, he and Fuhrmann are practicing safe social distancing, he’s preparing for the draft. One skill he’s working on, because some scouts view him as a tweener—neither a legitimate stretch four nor five man—is shooting.

“Where he’s going to wow the scouts is his shooting ability,” Fuhrmann says. “He wasn’t asked to do that at Arizona. He’s got the ability to shoot the 3. We’re really working on him getting comfortable from that NBA 3-point line, and it’s been fun to watch. If you’ve never stood at the NBA 3-point line and shot two or three hundred in a row, you don’t realize how far away it is and the leg strength it takes.

“The first day we started, Zeke was OK at it, and the second day, he was even better. By the third day, I was looking over at his dad and I got big eyes. He’s going to be an exceptional shooter in the NBA. It’s hard to develop the touch. Zeke has it. And he’s got the footwork down where his foundation is solid. Now it’s just about repetition.”
https://www.nba.com/article/2020/04/11/ ... ft-feature
2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Leandro Bolmaro - Lamine Diane - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

Online
User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 6012
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by ShelC » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:23 pm


User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17673
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:22 pm

INF wrote:2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Leandro Bolmaro - Lamine Diane - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey
One of these days, the Suns are actually going to take one of your guys! It's not like you haven't left them lots of choices.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

Post Reply