NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:08 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:52 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:48 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:45 pm

But he is a good guy!!!
Dude, seriously? You're taking a swipe at me? You think Mike James being an a-hole didn't have anything to do with why he didn’t work out?
He is joking around. nobody took a swipe at you
It wasn't a swipe at my characterization of a quality of a prospect that helped his cause?
I can let aztec speak for himself, but I didn't get any malice from that.
I'm sure there wasn't "malice", just some unneeded sarcasm to that characterization. Sorry, I guess I wasn't in the mood this morning.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:01 am
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Dude, seriously? You're taking a swipe at me? You think Mike James being an a-hole didn't have anything to do with why he didn’t work out?
It wasn't a swipe at my characterization of a quality of a prospect that helped his cause?
I'm sure there wasn't "malice", just some unneeded sarcasm to that characterization. Sorry, I guess I wasn't in the mood this morning.
we've all been there!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

This pandemic doesn't help! Enjoy the game, In2! :) And for the record, I think you're a good guy! :D
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:47 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:

This pandemic doesn't help! Enjoy the game, In2! :) And for the record, I think you're a good guy! :D
Same to you. :)
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:35 am
So you say.
So, you can dish it, but can’t take it? No intention to diminish your assessment, I have no drafting pedigree neither preferences, I enter this thread annually just to grasp some sense on who’s who. So, no need to feel any other thing beyond some good ribbing. Apologies if needed, I was going all ball on my joke.

Perhaps my post was the last straw, but in any case, I was joking with Informer, and he responded great, and I actually agree with both of you to certain extent. MJ and Kobe were not good/nice guys, and Bender probably was, but no one would prefer him. The Morrii? Of course they were overvalued a-holes. Character it’s a more complex construction over being a good guy, and it wraps up why the five guys on my paragraph got to very different places.

Of course the “good guy” ingredient matters, but more along the line of the crazy/hot scale, also known as the Vicky Mendoza diagonal.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:17 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:35 am
So you say.
So, you can dish it, but can’t take it? No intention to diminish your assessment, I have no drafting pedigree neither preferences, I enter this thread annually just to grasp some sense on who’s who. So, no need to feel any other thing beyond some good ribbing. Apologies if needed, I was going all ball on my joke.

Perhaps my post was the last straw, but in any case, I was joking with Informer, and he responded great, and I actually agree with both of you to certain extent. MJ and Kobe were not good/nice guys, and Bender probably was, but no one would prefer him. The Morrii? Of course they were overvalued a-holes. Character it’s a more complex construction over being a good guy, and it wraps up why the five guys on my paragraph got to very different places.

Of course the “good guy” ingredient matters, but more along the line of the crazy/hot scale, also known as the Vicky Mendoza diagonal.
You want to rib me directly with "he's a good guy", fine I can understand that. Doing it to someone else came off as a passive aggressive indirect swipe at me, which I didn't understand why I was all of a sudden the butt of it.

I have no idea what "going all ball on my joke" means. I have never heard that saying.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Lost in translation, don’t worry. Kind of “not looking to harm anybody”

And relax dude, indirect swipe is kind of a stretch if you actually picture it, no one is out there to take you down, at least not me. Not even Inf took it so personal, or am I losing sight on what I posted? Three people AND you already were joking with it, so it wasn’t so sudden. Anyway, I already apologize once, and I’m not doing it twice, any further offense it’s on your mind only.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Sam Vecenie of the Athletic has Paul Reed at 50 on his big board (https://theathletic.com/1950245/). Other notables that are discussed here:

Toppin - 3
Haliburton - 5
Hayes - 8
Lewis - 10
Vassell - 11
Nesmith - 12
Cole - 14
Poku - 23
Flynn - 24
Riller - 25 (I think I like Flynn more than Riller, too)

Here's what he said about Reed in his last mock draft (to Golden State at 48, the Suns get LaMelo at #2), https://theathletic.com/1926516:
Reed has his fans league-wide, particularly in the stats-based community. His numbers were particularly strong, as he averaged 15.1 points and 10.7 rebounds with 2.6 blocks and 1.9 steals on a disaster DePaul team following the non-conference slate. He was an active defensive player who was really aggressive. He uses his quickness and athleticism really well. That also happens on the offensive end, where he’s good at facing up and driving, or finishing on the block. But everything here is very raw. He’s a significant project. The jumper is a mechanical mess he’s going to have to work through. He’s not ambidextrous as a driver. He’s not a particularly good passer. His positioning on defense isn’t awesome and he can get overaggressive. All of this fixable, but it’s an awful lot to fix. I’d understand him going a lot higher than this, and I think I’d understand him being on a two-way next year. There is a lot for a team to fall in love with, and a lot to work on.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Should we start talking about who we’d like at the 15th pick instead of 10?

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we do make the playoffs, which would be awesome, and we pick at 15, here’s who I’d look at...I’m assuming Haliburton and Vassell don’t make it to 15. They may not make it to 10.

Aaron Nesmith - He might not make it to 15 either, but he might be the best shooter in the draft.

RJ Hampton - I’m a little more open to drafting a guy on potential. We’ve got a solid rotation, I don’t think we need to count on our rookie playing meaningful minutes.

Patrick Williams - Size and some intriguing skills. I think he’s got some sleeper star potential. Think Siakam.

Zeke Nnaji - Maybe a little high, but I think he’s going to be a good modern big.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:15 pm
If we do make the playoffs, which would be awesome, and we pick at 15, here’s who I’d look at...I’m assuming Haliburton and Vassell don’t make it to 15. They may not make it to 10.

Aaron Nesmith - He might not make it to 15 either, but he might be the best shooter in the draft.

RJ Hampton - I’m a little more open to drafting a guy on potential. We’ve got a solid rotation, I don’t think we need to count on our rookie playing meaningful minutes.

Patrick Williams - Size and some intriguing skills. I think he’s got some sleeper star potential. Think Siakam.

Zeke Nnaji - Maybe a little high, but I think he’s going to be a good modern big.
Are these possibilities for other teams? Cause we trading our pick

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:09 pm
Should we start talking about who we’d like at the 15th pick instead of 10?
I’d like Lonzo

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lonzo has been bad in this game...but he could be a pretty good long term fit here. I don’t think NO would trade him for a mid 1st though.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:15 pm

15 is where I’d start thinking about Poku.

Patrick Williams is interesting too. Reminds me of Anunoby more than Siakam.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s fair, I used Siakam more as an example of someone who became a star after not being a high level prospect. I don’t necessarily think Williams will reach Siakam’s level, but he’s got some skill. He’s got size/strength and has shown some ability to dribble and shoot a bit. Long ways away still, but potential. Defensive ability is what your drafting him for though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

At 15, I look at Poku, Desmond Bane, Grant Riller, Patrick Williams, Paul Reed.

If they don't make it and get lucky to move up, the Suns shouldn't take this guy because of having Ayton already?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:18 am
At 15, I look at Poku, Desmond Bane, Grant Riller, Patrick Williams, Paul Reed.

If they don't make it and get lucky to move up, the Suns shouldn't take this guy because of having Ayton already?
Why not? He appears to relish dunking on fools' heads.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

He may be great, but I’m not gonna get excited about him making moves without a defender. Do you think he can play with Ayton? If the answer is no then we eventually have to trade one of them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 am
He may be great, but I’m not gonna get excited about him making moves without a defender. Do you think he can play with Ayton? If the answer is no then we eventually have to trade one of them.
You could probably get a haul for one of them too in a trade. I've seen him in 5 on 5s against a defender. The thing that struck me was how fluid he was attacking off the dribble. You just haven't see that with Deandre yet. Maybe they form some incredible tandem together. Idk.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:43 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 am
You could probably get a haul for one of them too in a trade. I've seen him in 5 on 5s against a defender. The thing that struck me was how fluid he was attacking off the dribble. You just haven't see that with Deandre yet. Maybe they form some incredible tandem together. Idk.
You could be right, I’m just very hesitant. He only played like 3 college games...I’d definitely have Ball and Toppin ahead of him at the top.

Now if you told me we could move Ayton for a star pg or future star(Dame, Simmons, Ja, SGA) then I’d be fine drafting Wiseman.