NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:12 pm

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:45 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:01 am
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:00 am
Haliburton, Okoro, Toppin, Avdija.. Whatever. One is just as much of a risk as the next to me.
I disagree on Toppin. I think his floor is a starter. I don't see hardly any risk with him.
And that's not worth a future 1stR (assuming it doesn't have stupid light protection)?
I was going to ask the same question.
It's not worth it. I don't think it is necessary or prudent to invest two 1st rounders in someone who is just a starter. If the Suns had multiple 2020 picks and used them to move up, that would be different. But I expect the 2021 draft to be better than this one. I am only giving up a pick from a future draft for a special or great prospect, not just a good one.
2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Leandro Bolmaro - Lamine Diane - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:41 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:12 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:45 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:01 am
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:00 am
Haliburton, Okoro, Toppin, Avdija.. Whatever. One is just as much of a risk as the next to me.
I disagree on Toppin. I think his floor is a starter. I don't see hardly any risk with him.
And that's not worth a future 1stR (assuming it doesn't have stupid light protection)?
I was going to ask the same question.
It's not worth it. I don't think it is necessary or prudent to invest two 1st rounders in someone who is just a starter. If the Suns had multiple 2020 picks and used them to move up, that would be different. But I expect the 2021 draft to be better than this one. I am only giving up a pick from a future draft for a special or great prospect, not just a good one.
What if it was this yrs pick and next yrs pick w/ Rubio and Oubre for Ben Simmons? Would that be a good use of assets?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:29 pm

That's a lot to give up for someone who has never averaged 20 ppg and seems to have been hurt for nearly half of the time he has been in the league.
2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Leandro Bolmaro - Lamine Diane - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
Wormwood
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Wormwood » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:16 am

The more I look at the tapes and the more I think about it, the more sold I am on Aaron Nesmith. The kid REALLY reminds me of Glen Rice.

He's a decent defender, good character, and has shooting skills that make him special enough that (barring injury) he's going to have a long NBA career. One of the smoothest shooting strokes I've seen. Has really nice ability to get himself open on the perimeter and position himself for the outlet pass. Would fit super well alongside Booker or Rubio.

I like Vassell, but he's a bit too much like Bridges, and doesn't have the offensive game Nesmith does. I'm not sure you could play the two at the same time without your offense just dying.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:53 am

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:16 am
The more I look at the tapes and the more I think about it, the more sold I am on Aaron Nesmith. The kid REALLY reminds me of Glen Rice.

He's a decent defender, good character, and has shooting skills that make him special enough that (barring injury) he's going to have a long NBA career. One of the smoothest shooting strokes I've seen. Has really nice ability to get himself open on the perimeter and position himself for the outlet pass. Would fit super well alongside Booker or Rubio.

I like Vassell, but he's a bit too much like Bridges, and doesn't have the offensive game Nesmith does. I'm not sure you could play the two at the same time without your offense just dying.
I don't disagree about everything here, but I disagree about being able to use Vassell and Bridges on the court at the same time and it bogging down your offense. This doesn't make a lot of sense, since Vassell is a good outside shooter and moves the ball better than Nesmith does with a 2:1 Assist to TO ratio. He also has more steals and blocks then he does turnovers. He's also not going to require the ball to be a part of the offense as his usage rate is much smaller.

As for Nesmith, he's an outstanding shooter in catch and shoot situations or with one dribble. In that sense, he's a lot like Klay Thompson, with the exception that he has much more tunnel vision than Klay had coming out of college. Nesmith's TOs aren't large, but he doesn't even try to pass and is uber focused on getting his shot off and his Assist to TO ratio is nearly 1:2. Plus, he's not quite the level of defender that Klay was. There is a place in the league for a absolute sniper like Nesmith, but he's not going to be asked to do anything but shoot and his Usage rate will be a lot smaller in the NBA and don't expect much on the other side of the ball. He's going to require a guard that drives and kicks to draw his defender away from him, which Booker can, but that's not Rubio's strength.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compar ... y-thompson
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 6265
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by ShelC » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Yea not overly impressed with Nesmith's all around game. More of a Korver or Klay like In2 said. He's also got a bit of a slower release. Vassell's almost like a smaller Cam Johnson, thin frame but deceptive burst/athleticism. I wouldn't hesitate putting him on the floor with any of our other guys, but I also wouldn't expect him to be that great of an off the dribble threat right now either.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 6265
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by ShelC » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:57 am

Nice article of Ty-Shon Alexander. Posted about him a while back and really like him as that experienced college guard who can be had later in the draft. Really good defender and 3pt shooter.


User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9459
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:31 am

I’ve watched some video on Poku for the first time. I’m curious what made Bender a better prospect than him. Why was Bender a top 4 guy and Poku isn’t? Is Poku being hurt by the Bender comp? It seems like they have a similar skill set, only Poku has shown his in games. Was Bender playing against tougher competition?

I’m not necessarily advocating for drafting him, it’s just interesting. I wasn’t a huge Bender fan when we drafted him, but he was pretty universally considered a top 5 pick. Granted I’ve just watched YouTube videos and read scouting reports, but Poku seems to be way ahead of Bender.

One other thing, I saw a tweet mentioning Desmond Bane being a very James Jonesy pick. He also seems to fit the Monty .5 offense very well. He’s also a senior and would fit the taking a guy way higher than expected criteria. If he was in the ACC, he’d be a lock. I’d be disappointed a bit if we took him at 10, but if we trade down with say Boston for two picks and took Bane and Nnaji or Reed? Sign me up. Though if we left Haliburton on the board I’d still be disappointed.
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton

User avatar
wpmiller42
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by wpmiller42 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:52 am

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:31 am
I’ve watched some video on Poku for the first time. I’m curious what made Bender a better prospect than him. Why was Bender a top 4 guy and Poku isn’t? Is Poku being hurt by the Bender comp? It seems like they have a similar skill set, only Poku has shown his in games. Was Bender playing against tougher competition?

I’m not necessarily advocating for drafting him, it’s just interesting. I wasn’t a huge Bender fan when we drafted him, but he was pretty universally considered a top 5 pick. Granted I’ve just watched YouTube videos and read scouting reports, but Poku seems to be way ahead of Bender.

One other thing, I saw a tweet mentioning Desmond Bane being a very James Jonesy pick. He also seems to fit the Monty .5 offense very well. He’s also a senior and would fit the taking a guy way higher than expected criteria. If he was in the ACC, he’d be a lock. I’d be disappointed a bit if we took him at 10, but if we trade down with say Boston for two picks and took Bane and Nnaji or Reed? Sign me up. Though if we left Haliburton on the board I’d still be disappointed.
I just watched some Poku clips for the first time this morning, and I don't see the Bender comparison much. Bender seemed like a catch and shoot guy, didn't put the ball on the floor much. Aleksej Pokusevski seems to put the ball on the floor more, doesn't settle for jump shots... to me he seems much more naturally aggressive than Bender ever did. With the #10 pick, I think it would be a high risk/high reward kind of thing, though maybe in this draft you can afford to be more risky. If he did pan out though, he'd be like a European Amare.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9459
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:05 pm

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:52 am
Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:31 am
I’ve watched some video on Poku for the first time. I’m curious what made Bender a better prospect than him. Why was Bender a top 4 guy and Poku isn’t? Is Poku being hurt by the Bender comp? It seems like they have a similar skill set, only Poku has shown his in games. Was Bender playing against tougher competition?

I’m not necessarily advocating for drafting him, it’s just interesting. I wasn’t a huge Bender fan when we drafted him, but he was pretty universally considered a top 5 pick. Granted I’ve just watched YouTube videos and read scouting reports, but Poku seems to be way ahead of Bender.

One other thing, I saw a tweet mentioning Desmond Bane being a very James Jonesy pick. He also seems to fit the Monty .5 offense very well. He’s also a senior and would fit the taking a guy way higher than expected criteria. If he was in the ACC, he’d be a lock. I’d be disappointed a bit if we took him at 10, but if we trade down with say Boston for two picks and took Bane and Nnaji or Reed? Sign me up. Though if we left Haliburton on the board I’d still be disappointed.
I just watched some Poku clips for the first time this morning, and I don't see the Bender comparison much. Bender seemed like a catch and shoot guy, didn't put the ball on the floor much. Aleksej Pokusevski seems to put the ball on the floor more, doesn't settle for jump shots... to me he seems much more naturally aggressive than Bender ever did. With the #10 pick, I think it would be a high risk/high reward kind of thing, though maybe in this draft you can afford to be more risky. If he did pan out though, he'd be like a European Amare.
That’s kinda my point, what we’re people so intrigued with Bender about? I don’t recall what Bender looked like on predraft videos, though if I remember correctly he was mostly just a spot up shooter before coming over. Poku just looks way more versatile offensively. Albeit he’s playing in a crappy league.
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:33 pm

This was nice against a twitter draft darling.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 pm
I’d be more inclined to package it with Oubre for a better player than Kennard.
shocking
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
but I agree. I think Kelly is our most valuable asset that we can part with realistically.
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:00 pm
I do like Kennard, though. Good player and makes sense as a 3rd guard.
I would probably offer Kelly in a sign and trade deal for Christian Wood plus Luke Kennard.
2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Leandro Bolmaro - Lamine Diane - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by INFORMER » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:22 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:45 am
We should try and trade Ty Jerome for a pick in the 30s. Maybe NYK @ 38. There will be interesting players available there that better fit our roster, like Paul Reed or Tyler Bey or Daniel Oturu.
I think the deal to make would be Ty + #10 for Korkmaz + #21 + #34 + #36.
2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Leandro Bolmaro - Lamine Diane - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:01 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 pm
I’d be more inclined to package it with Oubre for a better player than Kennard.
shocking
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
but I agree. I think Kelly is our most valuable asset that we can part with realistically.
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:00 pm
I do like Kennard, though. Good player and makes sense as a 3rd guard.
I would probably offer Kelly in a sign and trade deal for Christian Wood plus Luke Kennard.
I probably would too. How much do you think Wood gets?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 4326
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by specialsauce » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:27 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 pm
I’d be more inclined to package it with Oubre for a better player than Kennard.
shocking
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
but I agree. I think Kelly is our most valuable asset that we can part with realistically.
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:00 pm
I do like Kennard, though. Good player and makes sense as a 3rd guard.
I would probably offer Kelly in a sign and trade deal for Christian Wood plus Luke Kennard.
Yes

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 4326
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by specialsauce » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:28 pm

In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:01 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 pm
I’d be more inclined to package it with Oubre for a better player than Kennard.
shocking
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
but I agree. I think Kelly is our most valuable asset that we can part with realistically.
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:00 pm
I do like Kennard, though. Good player and makes sense as a 3rd guard.
I would probably offer Kelly in a sign and trade deal for Christian Wood plus Luke Kennard.
I probably would too. How much wood do you think Wood gets?
Ah, a question for the ages, if he could.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 11026
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by carey » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:48 pm

Who does everyone like at #10 so far? Give me your top 3.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9459
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Split T » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:32 am

Haliburton, Vassell, Hayes
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:29 am

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:28 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:01 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 pm
I’d be more inclined to package it with Oubre for a better player than Kennard.
shocking
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
but I agree. I think Kelly is our most valuable asset that we can part with realistically.
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:00 pm
I do like Kennard, though. Good player and makes sense as a 3rd guard.
I would probably offer Kelly in a sign and trade deal for Christian Wood plus Luke Kennard.
I probably would too. How much wood do you think Wood gets?
Ah, a question for the ages, if he could.
Haha, I was embarrassed, but not surprised by the mistake in the question, until I looked back at what I wrote. Good one.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 4326
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by specialsauce » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:48 am

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:29 am
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:28 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:01 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm


shocking
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm
but I agree. I think Kelly is our most valuable asset that we can part with realistically.
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:00 pm
I do like Kennard, though. Good player and makes sense as a 3rd guard.
I would probably offer Kelly in a sign and trade deal for Christian Wood plus Luke Kennard.
I probably would too. How much wood do you think Wood gets?
Ah, a question for the ages, if he could.
Haha, I was embarrassed, but not surprised by the mistake in the question, until I looked back at what I wrote. Good one.
:lol:

Post Reply