Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Indy »

I guess, but genetics doesn't seem to be a deciding factor. There are several guys that make it on determination alone, 6 foot nothing, 150 pounds.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:29 pm
I guess, but genetics doesn't seem to be a deciding factor. There are several guys that make it on determination alone, 6 foot nothing, 150 pounds.
But why not pick a tall mate with athletic skills to increase your chances? The Barrys and Zellers come to mind.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe the goal of his marriage wasn’t to produce nba offspring.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:48 pm
Maybe the goal of his marriage wasn’t to produce nba offspring.
Well, why not, dammit?! :lol: After watching episode 5 last night of Last Dance, I was surprised he didn't have the Nike logo tattooed on his kids the minute they were born. ;)
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Parents (influencing + sacrificing to drive you to training, games etc), inner drive, physical advantages - you need at least one of the latter two, usually in conjunction with the first, plus access to decent competition.

Then you need to be blessed with durability.

It's rare to see children of parents succeed and my guess it's the Parents factor mainly - financial comfort of successful parents, amongst other things can be a inhibitor (or see Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf who openly don't want their children to play tennis). And lighting rarely strikes twice in a family no matter how good the genes, is how rare being a seriously successful sportsman is.

The easiest way is to be born with a sheer physical competitive advantage and hope you fall into the right sport that capitalises on it e.g. Michael Phelps is 6'4" but has legs - the deadweight in swimming - the size of a guy who's 5'10", or Simone Biles, a tiny (4'8") pocket rocket of muscle and flexibility.

To a lesser extent, Usain Bolt - anything small guys can do, a bigger guy can usually do it better - and Shaquille O'Neal with that size and coordination.

That's not to discount the factors noted at the start but they all could have took it easier than their competitors growing up and still dominated in the end.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Watched episode 6 tonight of Last Dance. The '93 Suns Finals episode. The play that made me sick to my stomach is that with 40 seconds left in game 6, we were up 4. Frank Johnson takes a shot and misses. Should have been Barkley. Whatever, but then Jordan goes coast to coast, full speed with nobody stopping him to cut it to 2. We really closed that game out badly. Should have been a game 7 in Phoenix.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

A decent indicator of if a player may do safely well in the NBA can be attributed to their parent or sibling playing pro, college basketball or even pro sports. Perhaps it comes from understanding how much work is involved along with natural talent and athleticism. Look at Grant Hill, Kobe, Nash, Doncic, JJJ, Trae Young, Bagley, Booker, McGee's mom played in the WNBA, Sabonis, Donovan Mitchell's dad played baseball I think, Mike Conley's dad was a big track and field star, Kyrie, Love, Wiggins, Steph and Seth Curry, all the Holidays, Jerami Grant, etc.
This yr you will have Killian Hayes, whose father played 20 yrs in Europe. LaMelo Ball, whose brother plays in the NBA. I believe Obi Toppin's father was a big deal somewhere and brother plays college ball. Deni Avdija's father is Serbian and played pro ball. Cole Anthony's dad played in the NBA. Nico Mannion's dad played in the NBA. Vernin Carey Jr's dad played in the NFL. Tre Jones's brother plays in the NBA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:44 am
A decent indicator of if a player may do safely well in the NBA can be attributed to their parent or sibling playing pro, college basketball or even pro sports. Perhaps it comes from understanding how much work is involved along with natural talent and athleticism. Look at Grant Hill, Kobe, Nash, Doncic, JJJ, Trae Young, Bagley, Booker, McGee's mom played in the WNBA, Sabonis, Donovan Mitchell's dad played baseball I think, Mike Conley's dad was a big track and field star, Kyrie, Love, Wiggins, Steph and Seth Curry, all the Holidays, Jerami Grant, etc.
This yr you will have Killian Hayes, whose father played 20 yrs in Europe. LaMelo Ball, whose brother plays in the NBA. I believe Obi Toppin's father was a big deal somewhere and brother plays college ball. Deni Avdija's father is Serbian and played pro ball. Cole Anthony's dad played in the NBA. Nico Mannion's dad played in the NBA. Vernin Carey Jr's dad played in the NFL. Tre Jones's brother plays in the NBA.
Yeah I mean you need genes - while a physical freak can be born to genetically average parents they're far more likely to come from parents who are physically gifted also.

You look at horse racing and that's all about genes / bloodlines and blending different types of successful horses e.g. you could blend a fast one with a strong one and see what that gives you etc etc

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Then you have genetic doping - altering DNA under a microscope - which, while not a reality yet, is almost certainly being pursued in China and USA, amongst other places, at a guess.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:12 am
Then you have genetic doping - altering DNA under a microscope - which, while not a reality yet, is almost certainly being pursued in China and USA, amongst other places, at a guess.
Are we going to see super athletes or super soldiers out of China first?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:21 am
3rdside wrote:
Chinese discipline vs American discipline says the Chinese won't need to genetically alter their soldiers!

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

That's said tongue in cheek by the way although there is a lot of truth to it - is more a comment on the state of each nation and the individuals that make it up rather than an opinion on "who would win a war".

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:25 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:21 am
3rdside wrote:
Chinese discipline vs American discipline says the Chinese won't need to genetically alter their soldiers!
How about their athletes?

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Can't trust the Chinese government (Trump appears to be trying to even up that scale :) ) so I'd go with them first.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I was asking about China creating super soldiers or super athletes first. I am sure the US already has super soldiers deployed secretly. ;)

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:00 am
I was asking about China creating super soldiers or super athletes first. I am sure the US already has super soldiers deployed secretly. ;)
I meant athletes but could be applied to both - no matter the sports code on genetic doping, the untrustworthy Chinese govt wouldn't give two hoots about doing it. Probably likewise the USA but with greater regulation and supervision it's likely to be a private venture rather than government sponsored.

We should probably take this to the politics board but experimenting with 'enhancing' soldiers has been around for a long time; Hitler and his crew were all jacked on amphetamines, USA was trying LSD (I think..) on its soldiers in Vietnam etc etc.

So who knows what the USA is up to.

With that said about messing with humans being a private vs public initiative and LSD, I can't honestly believe - now I think about it - that the USA government hasn't got a program somewhere.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:32 am
Watched episode 6 tonight of Last Dance. The '93 Suns Finals episode. The play that made me sick to my stomach is that with 40 seconds left in game 6, we were up 4. Frank Johnson takes a shot and misses. Should have been Barkley. Whatever, but then Jordan goes coast to coast, full speed with nobody stopping him to cut it to 2. We really closed that game out badly. Should have been a game 7 in Phoenix.
Dan Majerle also airballed a 10-footer from the corner. :cry:

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

If you think about athletes in China, you have to remember that Yao Ming is the son of 2 basketball players.
His dad is 6'7" and his mom 6'3" , and he was directed to play basketball since he was 9.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:32 am
I watched it, too. It was really hard to watch that part. They just let MJ waltz down from coast to coast with absolutely no resistance and just lays it up and in. I can't believe they were so relaxed on defense with the game on the line. It would have been great to get it to Game 7, but I feel like they deserved to lose after being so sloppy in such a critical situation.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I was still screaming at the TV about that FJ shot. Obviously the moment got to the team. First time in the Finals, nervous in Game 1, not playing cool under pressure down the stretch. I still think we were the better team, we just ran into prime MJ. Maybe that's just me being a fan tho.