Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Nodack »

Maybe so. I preferred watching the Suns play with real power forwards this year compared to last year watching small forwards play the position all year and get pushed around. This year started pretty promising until both centers and both power forwards went out and we were back to small forwards playing center and power forward. Of course now we are up a center and a power forward, but now down two small forwards.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I have no problem with making moves to build a complete roster. The issue is spending too mucho on the wrong target.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 am
Maybe so. I preferred watching the Suns play with real power forwards this year compared to last year watching small forwards play the position all year and get pushed around. This year started pretty promising until both centers and both power forwards went out and we were back to small forwards playing center and power forward. Of course now we are up a center and a power forward, but now down two small forwards.
Our best lineup this year had a SF at PF

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Lineups depend on matchups too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:24 pm
Lineups depend on matchups too.
True, but the starting lineup of Rubio/Booker/Oubre/Bridges/Ayton had a top 3 net rating in the NBA. Hard to argue against that. I agree it’s nice to have size when you need it, but the numbers show that we often don’t need it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And sometimes we play against trees and get no rebounds with a small lineup. I don’t mind small ball. Sometimes it works against some teams. Houston is doing it. I like a full team with lots of different sized pieces that you can pick and choose from depending on the matchup. Sometimes you just play your best five guys and they happen to be smalls.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:19 pm
And sometimes we play against trees and get no rebounds with a small lineup. I don’t mind small ball. Sometimes it works against some teams. Houston is doing it. I like a full team with lots of different sized pieces that you can pick and choose from depending on the matchup. Sometimes you just play your best five guys and they happen to be smalls.
Agreed. Think you need to have options. But ultimately you gotta play to your strengths. That’s what we did in the Nash era, that’s what Houston was doing. Playing Oubre/Bridges at the 3/4 was that for us. Obviously still a place for Saric(especially the way he was playing). I just don’t believe in playing size because you feel you have to. Play your best players, you may take a hit somewhere(rebounds) but perhaps you benefit more in other areas(transition, perimeter play, etc.)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sometimes you get away with rebounding by committee and sometimes you don’t.

For me, it seems like most times the team who plays with the most energy and intensity wins 9/10 games. Oubre brings that in spades.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 pm
Majerle out at GCU.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2291789 ... 7-seasons/
Just saw that. Seven seasons at GCU, this was his only losing season. Had two key players out for various reasons.
I don't think it was a coaching issue ....
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:32 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 pm
Majerle out at GCU.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2291789 ... 7-seasons/
Just saw that. Seven seasons at GCU, this was his only losing season. Had two key players out for various reasons.
I don't think it was a coaching issue ....
“GCU has become a premier mid-major basketball destination with its resources, facilities, and student and community support,” GCU strategic advisor Jerry Colangelo said in a press release. “We look forward to the future of the program under the direction of the new head coach.”
Jerry's off his rocker on that one.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I assume there is more to that story.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Feels like they may have a big fish in mind for the job and will move to them pretty quickly. I heard Doug talk about Pitino could be the name, but didn't want him hired by GCU, not that he has any type of say in the matter.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Isn't GCU a christian school? I can't see them hiring Pitino. Really though, this is bizarre. Majerle built the program for the most part.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Maybe they had a falling out. I never heard of GCC’s basketball program until Majerle. It’s not he ran it into the ground.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

They weren't a DI school until they started transitioning under Majerle, but they did win an NAIA national championship with Paul Westphal as the coach in the 80's.

As far as Pitino, if their goal is to accelerate to a Gonzaga type of Mid-Major power, as they claim is their goal, he's probably the guy that's realistically available for them to do so. Christians are supposed to be about forgiveness and second, third, and fourth chances etc, so that isn't anything antithetical to their belief system.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

If we're talking realistic here, they're never going to out recruit ASU or UA.

Some "splashy" hire like Pitino won't do anything but generate a few more ticket sales and will ultimately end in shame when that big name coach can't turn the program into Gonzaga.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It seems strange that Majerle was dismissed so quietly. Feels like something happened. No thank you for bringing us this far or anything. No appreciation. Everything I had heard previously was very positive.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:25 pm
It seems strange that Majerle was dismissed so quietly. Feels like something happened. No thank you for bringing us this far or anything. No appreciation. Everything I had heard previously was very positive.
Speaking of dismissed quietly, Jared Harper was let go from his two way contract. Sorry I didn’t see this posted anywhere else.

Odd timing. He can’t be replaced. No of bench scrubs have stitched up the bench role and we always seem to have injuries.
Not sure what happened there.

Only benefit I can think of for the league wide shutdown is we get injury free.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Well, today is the first day us Suns fans are affected. We would have been playing on the road in Dallas. Here's to hoping we're back to playing in less than a month.
"Be Legendary."