Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Superbone »

Just saw these team face masks cross my email:

However: Ships no later than 6/22/2020.
A little late!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Maybe not...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm
Maybe not...
Right. We could be on our 2nd or 3rd wave. I might purchase. Proceeds (at least some) go to a good cause.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 pm
Nodack wrote:
Maybe not...
Right. We could be on our 2nd or 3rd wave. I might purchase. Proceeds (at least some) go to a good cause.
Definitely not late. June seems about the right time when the morons will be dead or start to realize that wearing a mask doesn't take away their freedom.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

June still seems early is all of this. I am doubting most major markets will be seeing 14 consecutive day declines by then.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Points taken. I've ordered the Phoenix Suns face masks. :)
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:48 pm
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Maybe not...
Definitely not late. June seems about the right time when the morons will be dead or start to realize that wearing a mask doesn't take away their freedom.
June? Arizona is still climbing. I’m still waiting to see when we reach our peak, then it will take months to get down from there. This is going through the fall because of morons who think this is a hoax or a ploy to intentionally crash the economy and that masks are a political deal.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:17 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Maybe not...
June? Arizona is still climbing. I’m still waiting to see when we reach our peak, then it will take months to get down from there. This is going through the fall because of morons who think this is a hoax or a ploy to intentionally crash the economy and that masks are a political deal.
I was extremely distressed when I looked at Maricopa's numbers today. There isn't even a hint that the cases are starting to slow down. I plan on moving in a few weeks, and that might be a bad idea.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Maybe not...
Unfortunately, there is going to be a point in time, and maybe it's already happened, that people are going to make a decision on acceptable risk. They will want to know the true and actual numbers of how many people have had it, shown in antibody tests extrapolated out, with the number of verified deaths directly caused by COVID.

Does anyone know the results of the antibody tests that have happened in AZ?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:58 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Maybe not...
Unfortunately, there is going to be a point in time, and maybe it's already happened, that people are going to make a decision on acceptable risk. They will want to know the true and actual numbers of how many people have had it, shown in antibody tests extrapolated out, with the number of verified deaths directly caused by COVID.

The antibody tests are crap right now. Rushed, multiple manufacturers, none have really been validated. Don’t even know if they’re testing the correct antibody and if that antibodies present correlate with lasting immunity.

Acceptable risk is so myopic. It’s a complete disregard for others to decide you’re young so fuck the rest. I understand allowing certain small businesses to open with strict and enforceable by law social distancing rules, not this “pretty please distance and wear a mask” attitude AZ government has taken. There’s no reason to see Mill ave bars were packed with a bunch of entitled little shits. Post office with a bunch of middle aged men, none wearing masks and none distancing- all think it’s a hoax. Our ship is going to sink and we’re going to lose so many more than needed due to the wreck less attitude of the uneducated sector of society. /rant. Feel free to delete or move to politics even though this is entirely apolitical.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:14 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:

The antibody tests are crap right now. Rushed, multiple manufacturers, none have really been validated. Don’t even know if they’re testing the correct antibody and if that antibodies present correlate with lasting immunity.

Acceptable risk is so myopic. It’s a complete disregard for others to decide you’re young so fuck the rest. I understand allowing certain small businesses to open with strict and enforceable by law social distancing rules, not this “pretty please distance and wear a mask” attitude AZ government has taken. There’s no reason to see Mill ave bars were packed with a bunch of entitled little shits. Post office with a bunch of middle aged men, none wearing masks and none distancing- all think it’s a hoax. Our ship is going to sink and we’re going to lose so many more than needed due to the wreck less attitude of the uneducated sector of society. /rant. Feel free to delete or move to politics even though this is entirely apolitical.
I hope that they can get correct and validated antibody tests. I'm assuming that the antibody tests in other states also have the same problems?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:18 pm
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I hope that they can get correct and validated antibody tests. I'm assuming that the antibody tests in other states also have the same problems?
Yes, it’s all early. This stuff takes a long time to sort out, study, validate. It’s understandable why it’s all been rushed and emergently approved, but it opens us up to inaccuracies. The nasal swab from Abbot is a shining example, study out of NYU showing its only 51% sensitive. That’s awful. In other times there’s no way you would entertain a test that was that poor. It’ll get better and we’ll have great tests in the future I’m sure, but no magic wand for that

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:34 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Yes, it’s all early. This stuff takes a long time to sort out, study, validate. It’s understandable why it’s all been rushed and emergently approved, but it opens us up to inaccuracies. The nasal swab from Abbot is a shining example, study out of NYU showing its only 51% sensitive. That’s awful. In other times there’s no way you would entertain a test that was that poor. It’ll get better and we’ll have great tests in the future I’m sure, but no magic wand for that
Forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean to be "only 51% sensitive"?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:51 pm
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

No problem! So sensitivity of a study means that if a patient were to have the disease, what is % that the test will result positive?

So if you have Corona, 51% of the time this test will result positive. 49% of the time it will test negative (falsely). So basically take a quarter and flip it, just as good a study.

You want a highly sensitive test (90s), so that you know that if it results negative it’s very unlikely to have missed it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:00 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

No problem! So sensitivity of a study means that if a patient were to have the disease, what is % that the test will result positive?

So if you have Corona, 51% of the time this test will result positive. 49% of the time it will test negative (falsely). So basically take a quarter and flip it, just as good a study.

You want a highly sensitive test (90s), so that you know that if it results negative it’s very unlikely to have missed it.
Thanks. So does that mean that the number of people that have COVID is likely much higher, and/or that so is the mortality rate? So 13,000 confirmed cases could realistically be 26,000? Just trying to understand

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:08 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:00 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Thanks. So does that mean that the number of people that have COVID is likely much higher, and/or that so is the mortality rate? So 13,000 confirmed cases could realistically be 26,000? Just trying to understand
Maybe. I don’t think you could really say for certain, but i wouldn’t doubt that otherwise well people have had falsely negative studies and not had repeats done since they were well and not hospitalized. That’s a reasonable thought based on the poor sensitivity IMO. I don’t think you’re going from a mortality rate of 6% in US (now) down to 0.1 of influenza. But could it actually be 2 or 3%? Maybe. 2-3% mortality rate is still ridiculous for something so contagious and widespread.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll tell you what I learned most from this pandemic, my next house is going to have a private basketball hoop. Man, that would have come in handy.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

A full Athletic article about how bad Watson wanted to pair Tatum with Booker but Sarver preferred Jackson.

https://theathletic.com/1807946/2020/05 ... eeklyemail

Here's an excerpt:
Then the Phoenix Suns coach, Watson had played with or coached some of the best shooters ever: Ray Allen, Kevin Durant, Mike Miller, Damian Lillard and Jason Kapono. Watson had seen them do some incredible things, but he does not recall any workout quite like Jayson Tatum’s pre-draft audition for the Suns. Tatum warmed up with a ballhandling drill, Watson recalled during a phone call Monday afternoon, and then the wing went straight to the corner to shoot 3-pointers. Players normally work their way out to the arc slowly, taking closer shots first. Tatum did not bother. Even without any shots to loosen up, he was already hot.

“He drilled 40 straight off the first shot,” Watson said. “Forty straight. So I immediately turned to the owner and the GM. And I said, ‘What else do we need to see?’”

Already, Watson was sold on pairing Tatum with Suns star Devin Booker. In Watson’s vision, the two wings would split time on and off the ball. They would make the Suns competitive early in their careers while possibly growing into one of the NBA’s best duos. Watson wanted Tatum badly enough to hold what he called “uncomfortable” conversations with team owner Robert Sarver, trying to convince the organization it should do whatever it took to draft the Duke star. Sarver preferred Josh Jackson, Watson said, but Watson kept pushing back with a different idea.

“We need to fucking get Tatum,” Watson recalled saying.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not interested in anything Watson has to say. He was a clown then and a clown now. Fox should've been the pick regardless but no one's talking about that for some reason.