Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:50 pm
I think it's pretty safe to assume we wouldn't be having this discussion if Ayton hadn't been suspended for 25 games. I don't think they'd have made the playoffs in a normal season without the Ayton suspension, but they'd most likely would've qualified for this COVID tourney.
Agreed.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:50 pm
I think it's pretty safe to assume we wouldn't be having this discussion if Ayton hadn't been suspended for 25 games. I don't think they'd have made the playoffs in a normal season without the Ayton suspension, but they'd most likely would've qualified for this COVID tourney.
I wonder though. I'm pretty confident that they would have been at least 5 games better, but I think it would have been near 10 games. I think that his suspension put undo pressure and minutes on Baynes and Kaminsky to play roles that they weren't meant to play and probably attributed to their injuries. We all knew it was going shoot the team in the foot as soon as it was announced.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So the cut off is within 6 games of the 8th seed. That means Washington and Phoenix would be in if they go with 22 teams.

My bet is that the concession to the 6 East teams that didn't make it is that the draft lottery will only be for the 10 teams left, and they could get the top 4 spots, with GSW and Min getting the 5th and 6th spots. Calling it now.
Last edited by In2ition on Fri May 29, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s pretty big gaps from team 20 to 21 and from 22 to 23. So that makes sense. I’m sure we fought pretty hard to be included. Not sure Washington really cares, but 21 teams is a weird number.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:33 pm
So the cut off is within 6 games of the 8th seed. That means Washington and Phoenix would be in if they go with 22 teams.

My bet is that the concession to the 6 East teams that didn't make it is that the draft lottery will only be for the 10 teams left, and they could get the top 4 spots, with GSW and Min getting the 5th and 6th spots. Calling it now.
It’ll be interesting to see how they do the lottery. If we get into a single elimination playoff and lose our first game, would that be worth losing our chance to move up? Personally I’d say yes, I’m fine picking at 10.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 pm
In2ition wrote:

It’ll be interesting to see how they do the lottery. If we get into a single elimination playoff and lose our first game, would that be worth losing our chance to move up? Personally I’d say yes, I’m fine picking at 10.
Honestly, I agree. I would hope it wouldn't just be 1 game and out though. I would like to see the Suns get 10 games. 7 regular season for warmup and seeding and then at least 3 in the playoffs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:55 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 pm
In2ition wrote:

Honestly, I agree. I would hope it wouldn't just be 1 game and out though. I would like to see the Suns get 10 games. 7 regular season for warmup and seeding and then at least 3 in the playoffs.
Yeah, I’d prefer your plan.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

If the 22 team proposal is chosen, it sounds like 8 warmup games and then a play-in tourney. I’d guess that would be a single elimination style. Still guarantees 9 games. Though only one would be a (somewhat)playoff game.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:30 pm
So you’re saying there’s a chance?

"Resume the season" does that mean that the included teams make their 70 game tv commitments and the excluded teams do not? Or maybe with a playoff format, nobody gets to 70 regular season games. I'm not clear on how that will work out.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Don’t think anything is decided yet. There was a proposal to bring all 30 teams back and get to 72 games each...though I’ve heard that’s unlikely. 22 teams with each playing 8 additional games seems like the most likely right now. That gets 70%+ of the league to 70 games. Probably some revenue sharing to help out the 8 teams who may not get paid in full on their local broadcast contracts.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:31 pm
A low-key shitty GM trade.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

McDo might end up being a good GM in a place like Detroit. They need somebody who will come in and trade off a bunch of dead weight and stockpile a bunch of draft picks; they need a "process." McDo knows how to do that. Have him there for 2-3 years and then fire him when it's time to actually start getting good again.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:21 am
McDo might end up being a good GM in a place like Detroit. They need somebody who will come in and trade off a bunch of dead weight and stockpile a bunch of draft picks; they need a "process." McDo knows how to do that. Have him there for 2-3 years and then fire him when it's time to actually start getting good again.
stockpiling the wrong kind of assets doesn't help anyone. He is a disaster waiting to happen wherever he goes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

People learn from their mistakes and get better. Who knows?
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:21 am
..or when it's time to start using the draft picks (assuming he made those picks and not Sarver).

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:03 am
I think people can learn from their mistakes, but he repeated the same mistakes over and over here. If it takes you multiple similar mistakes to learn, you probably aren't going to be one of the top 30 people in the world at your job. And that is the level you need to be a GM in the NBA.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:29 am
Superbone wrote:
I think people can learn from their mistakes, but he repeated the same mistakes over and over here. If it takes you multiple similar mistakes to learn, you probably aren't going to be one of the top 30 people in the world at your job. And that is the level you need to be a GM in the NBA.
To me, it felt like he wasn't learning from his mistakes and actually getting worse as the time went on. I could be wrong about that, but I also think there is a good amount of evidence for that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:14 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:29 am
Superbone wrote:
To me, it felt like he wasn't learning from his mistakes and actually getting worse as the time went on. I could be wrong about that, but I also think there is a good amount of evidence for that.
I'm mostly talking about since he was fired. If it were me, I'd reevaluate every move I made and think of how I would have done things differently. He's had a lot of time to think about it. He's still young. Maybe he never gets there or gets another chance. Maybe he has to start out again under a GM. I just think it's a little early in a person's life to write them off.
"Be Legendary."