Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Bucktastic365

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:47 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:17 pm
When the best players stay in school for no more than 3 months, what good is coaching anyway? It's just a recruiting game. If you can get the best raw talent to show up, you win. In-game coaching helps a little, but really it's about keeping the pipeline running.
For sure...the result of making players spend 1 year in college before the nba. Think doing away with that will make college better. You’d still get a few surprise 1 and done guys, but you’d decrease the recruiting craze and most guys that choose college would stick it out at least 2 years.

I don’t love the idea of having high schoolers in the nba, but it’s not terrible. Would be really nice if we could develop a more effective minor league.
I guarantee you that once high school players can get drafted the G league is going to explode. If I was the NBA I'd try to stipulate that once drafted you'd need to spend at least a year in the G league. They would still be paid due to being drafted, they get prioritized coaching, the league gains notoriety, and raw rookies aren't clogging NBA rosters.
I think it's a win- win

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If you want to expand the g-league, you've got to expand the draft.

I would love to see the NCAA eat some crow, but I don't think it will be replaced any time soon. The NCAA has millions of fans, and the g-league might have a dozen. Americans just don't watch minor league sports. They watch the NCAA because they think of it as a major league.

If 15-20 players skip school for the draft, does it change the dynamic of the NCAA enough for them to make a change? Will they miss a couple of dozen players bad enough to pay a couple of thousand?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I missed this from December. So good.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Funny stuff. You have to be a GOT fan to appreciate it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:30 pm
Disagree. I’ve only seen the first episode of GOT.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:43 pm
Nodack wrote:
Then you are only getting about 1/3 of the jokes.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Game of Zones, but I feel like it's gotten kind of over-produced. It was more fun when it was just cheap and poorly animated, like a YouTube video. Now it looks all shiny and pretty like it has a real budget.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:32 am
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Fine, but I still appreciate it for the basketball jokes. Should I stop watching because I don't watch GOT? No, because I find it very funny. Maybe you'd have a point if you said "you can't fully appreciate it unless you're a GOT fan." I have to believe 1/3 is a gross exaggeration. Maybe you could break every episode down joke by joke so we can discuss this more fully. My point stands. You do not have to be a GOT fan to appreciate it. And 'X' gets the square.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

On a different subject, I heard on some podcast that Lauri Markannen wants out of Chicago. Do we want him and for what assets? Personally I'm willing to put up the first round pick this year and maybe Okobo, though I don't know if that's enough for the Bulls. I think he can hold down the starting spot, and if we can get Saric back for a decent contract, we'd have a complete roster for the first time since ... the Dragic and Frye days?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:32 am
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Fine, but I still appreciate it for the basketball jokes. Should I stop watching because I don't watch GOT? No, because I find it very funny. Maybe you'd have a point if you said "you can't fully appreciate it unless you're a GOT fan." I have to believe 1/3 is a gross exaggeration. Maybe you could break every episode down joke by joke so we can discuss this more fully. My point stands. You do not have to be a GOT fan to appreciate it. And 'X' gets the square.
You don’t have to be a GOT fan to appreciate it but, I think you would get more out of it if you are a GOT fan. I don’t think anyone suggested you stop watching if you aren’t. Getting a little touchy are we? Got the Corona cabin fever? I haven't left the house in a week except the back yard. My yard is trimmed. Grass mowed. I just re stained may back fence. Last night I fixed an old lamp. I am caught up on every show recorded. I even started writing a song. I taught one of our dogs to sit...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:22 pm
On a different subject, I heard on some podcast that Lauri Markannen wants out of Chicago. Do we want him and for what assets? Personally I'm willing to put up the first round pick this year and maybe Okobo, though I don't know if that's enough for the Bulls. I think he can hold down the starting spot, and if we can get Saric back for a decent contract, we'd have a complete roster for the first time since ... the Dragic and Frye days?
Gambo thinks it will take a good player like Kelly plus a 1st.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:35 pm
You don’t have to be a GOT fan to appreciate it...
That’s all you had to say and was exactly my reply to you. So we agree. My Covid-19 induced response was to Mr. Argumentative. And I won. One third, my ass.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:01 am
Nodack wrote:
That’s all you had to say and was exactly my reply to you. So we agree. My Covid-19 induced response was to Mr. Argumentative. And I won. One third, my ass.
touchy touchy. :P

My point was that even the way characters are drawn and the scenes are set have jokes built in from GOT. There is a ton of stuff in there. Is it exactly a third? I think some scenes more, some scenes less. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy it--you just can't get all of the jokes. That isn't a bad thing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:17 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:01 am
Nodack wrote:
touchy touchy. :P

My point was that even the way characters are drawn and the scenes are set have jokes built in from GOT. There is a ton of stuff in there. Is it exactly a third? I think some scenes more, some scenes less. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy it--you just can't get all of the jokes. That isn't a bad thing.
Ha! I’ll admit that Nodack was onto something with my quarantine, going on 4 weeks, having an affect on my response. :P
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

you just need a hug

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This is pretty much what I was thinking in terms of dates to start things as a best case. Was thinking there'd be a week or so mini-camp to get teams back by the start/middle of June, a quick 6-8-10 games over 2-3 weeks as a tune up and then playoffs the month of July with the draft, SL and FA in middle August/Sept. I think next season could get interesting if things start later and the league still wants to push for 82 games.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ernie Johnson talks to Adam Silver about the state of the NBA:

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/04/06/ ... on-answers
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Report: Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert relationship 'doesn't appear salvageable'

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino