Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Post Reply
User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Indy » Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 am

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:26 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:06 pm
I've been enjoying Discovery even though I'm reading that a lot of Trekkies think it's too mature and dark. It is weird though how the theme music and opening credits remind me of Westworld.
I got through 2 episodes of Discovery. The newest Trek shows just don't feel like Trek to me. It's supposed to be about extremely competent officers, engineers, scientists working together in harmony to solve tough problems. The recent shows are more about melodrama and explosions and special effects and crap like that.
At it’s heart, it is. But you wouldn’t know that if you’ve only seen the first 2 episodes. I’m two episodes from the end of the first season.
In fact, after finishing season 1, that's exactly what it is.
That is what *one* episode from Season 1 is about. Despite having one of the best Trek speeches of all time at the end of Season 1, the season in whole wasn't good (IMO). I will say that Season 2 is so much better. Still too much melo drama, but so much better than Season 1.

Don't get me started on Picard.

Online
User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6180
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by In2ition » Mon May 04, 2020 7:52 am

I enjoyed Discovery, both season 1 and 2. There was a lot of melodrama, and some seemingly oddly built characters, but I enjoyed it much more than many of the other series in the Star Trek realm after Next Generation.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 10994
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Mori Chu » Mon May 04, 2020 8:06 am

Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 am
That is what *one* episode from Season 1 is about. Despite having one of the best Trek speeches of all time at the end of Season 1, the season in whole wasn't good (IMO). I will say that Season 2 is so much better. Still too much melo drama, but so much better than Season 1.

Don't get me started on Picard.
I'm just about to finish Picard. So bummed out about it. I really like spending time with Sir Patrick Stewart again, but otherwise it just doesn't look or feel like a Trek show at all. I could go on and on about what I dislike about it, but suffice to say that the acting is cheesy and the writing is cringey and the overall story didn't pull me in. And, again, it didn't feel like Trek at all. It felt more like some generic space show like The Expanse or whatever, with Patrick Stewart in it for no reason.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Indy » Mon May 04, 2020 10:56 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:06 am
Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 am
That is what *one* episode from Season 1 is about. Despite having one of the best Trek speeches of all time at the end of Season 1, the season in whole wasn't good (IMO). I will say that Season 2 is so much better. Still too much melo drama, but so much better than Season 1.

Don't get me started on Picard.
I'm just about to finish Picard. So bummed out about it. I really like spending time with Sir Patrick Stewart again, but otherwise it just doesn't look or feel like a Trek show at all. I could go on and on about what I dislike about it, but suffice to say that the acting is cheesy and the writing is cringey and the overall story didn't pull me in. And, again, it didn't feel like Trek at all. It felt more like some generic space show like The Expanse or whatever, with Patrick Stewart in it for no reason.
I was not a fan, but I disagree about the acting. The only cheesy acting was from the Romulan brother and sister. I thought everyone else did a great job (with what they were given). But the story sucked/writing was bad--which is crazy for such a great writer to be the main force behind the show. I think Chabon is a really good novelist. Maybe it just doesn't translate to TV. And it feels like they didn't have anyone that really knew Trek history, or even as much as they should about Picard. Too many inconsistencies. I feel like the team must have watched 8-10 "picard" episodes of TNG and the movies, and called it a day.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17086
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Superbone » Mon May 04, 2020 12:47 pm

Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:26 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:06 pm
I've been enjoying Discovery even though I'm reading that a lot of Trekkies think it's too mature and dark. It is weird though how the theme music and opening credits remind me of Westworld.
I got through 2 episodes of Discovery. The newest Trek shows just don't feel like Trek to me. It's supposed to be about extremely competent officers, engineers, scientists working together in harmony to solve tough problems. The recent shows are more about melodrama and explosions and special effects and crap like that.
At it’s heart, it is. But you wouldn’t know that if you’ve only seen the first 2 episodes. I’m two episodes from the end of the first season.
In fact, after finishing season 1, that's exactly what it is.
That is what *one* episode from Season 1 is about. Despite having one of the best Trek speeches of all time at the end of Season 1, the season in whole wasn't good (IMO). I will say that Season 2 is so much better. Still too much melo drama, but so much better than Season 1.

Don't get me started on Picard.
Uh, oh. I was planning on watching that next. (after Discover S2) Also, thinking of watching DS9. Never watched that series! Been reading good things while reading about Discovery eps.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Indy » Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Disco S2 >> Picard. But there are a few scenes in Picard I loved. Maybe nostalgia, though.

I am/was watching DS9. I got half-way through Season 3 (watching along with the Mission Log Podcast) but things got a little crazy once Winter hit and I lost track. The current craziness hasn't helped so I am still stuck there. I need to pick it up again. I also haven't seen more than a handful of Voyager episodes, and I know a lot of people that like that more than DS9. I haven't seen a single minute of Enterprise.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17086
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Superbone » Mon May 04, 2020 2:38 pm

Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
Disco S2 >> Picard. But there are a few scenes in Picard I loved. Maybe nostalgia, though.

I am/was watching DS9. I got half-way through Season 3 (watching along with the Mission Log Podcast) but things got a little crazy once Winter hit and I lost track. The current craziness hasn't helped so I am still stuck there. I need to pick it up again. I also haven't seen more than a handful of Voyager episodes, and I know a lot of people that like that more than DS9. I haven't seen a single minute of Enterprise.
I tried watching both Voyager and Enterprise but couldn't get into either of them at the time. How were you liking DS9?
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
Furlanfufi
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Furlanfufi » Mon May 04, 2020 11:48 pm

Guys, came late to the conversation, but if any of you want it, I have the Celtics x Lakers best of enemies documentary and the Dream Team one (and probably the book by Jack Mccallum in my HDD.

I can upload to my One Drive and post the links, if that's alright.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 10994
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Mori Chu » Tue May 05, 2020 8:09 am

Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:48 pm
Guys, came late to the conversation, but if any of you want it, I have the Celtics x Lakers best of enemies documentary and the Dream Team one (and probably the book by Jack Mccallum in my HDD.

I can upload to my One Drive and post the links, if that's alright.
I'd love to watch these!

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 6425
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Cap » Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 am

Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
Disco S2 >> Picard. But there are a few scenes in Picard I loved. Maybe nostalgia, though.

I am/was watching DS9. I got half-way through Season 3 (watching along with the Mission Log Podcast) but things got a little crazy once Winter hit and I lost track. The current craziness hasn't helped so I am still stuck there. I need to pick it up again. I also haven't seen more than a handful of Voyager episodes, and I know a lot of people that like that more than DS9. I haven't seen a single minute of Enterprise.
DS9 and ENT both start out pretty poor but get a lot better. They reward patience.

I’ve never been a big fan of VOY, but most of its fans seem to think it follows the same pattern of the later seasons being the best.
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against

My [2019-20] prediction is better than mid 30s... mark it down! — Superbone

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Indy » Tue May 05, 2020 11:48 am

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:38 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
Disco S2 >> Picard. But there are a few scenes in Picard I loved. Maybe nostalgia, though.

I am/was watching DS9. I got half-way through Season 3 (watching along with the Mission Log Podcast) but things got a little crazy once Winter hit and I lost track. The current craziness hasn't helped so I am still stuck there. I need to pick it up again. I also haven't seen more than a handful of Voyager episodes, and I know a lot of people that like that more than DS9. I haven't seen a single minute of Enterprise.
I tried watching both Voyager and Enterprise but couldn't get into either of them at the time. How were you liking DS9?
I really miss the "morality tale of the week told via a science fiction story" pattern of TNG and even TOS. DS9 doesn't seem like it is doing any of that. Although I did hear it gets better in Season 4.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Indy » Tue May 05, 2020 11:50 am

Cap wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 am
Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
Disco S2 >> Picard. But there are a few scenes in Picard I loved. Maybe nostalgia, though.

I am/was watching DS9. I got half-way through Season 3 (watching along with the Mission Log Podcast) but things got a little crazy once Winter hit and I lost track. The current craziness hasn't helped so I am still stuck there. I need to pick it up again. I also haven't seen more than a handful of Voyager episodes, and I know a lot of people that like that more than DS9. I haven't seen a single minute of Enterprise.
DS9 and ENT both start out pretty poor but get a lot better. They reward patience.

I’ve never been a big fan of VOY, but most of its fans seem to think it follows the same pattern of the later seasons being the best.
Did ENT follow the DS9 path or TNG path with regard to story telling? I think the entire point of ST is to put a mirror up against our current-day issues and show us the path forward. I am not getting that at all from DS9 (or Disco or Picard). Maybe I am just old and people today don't use SciFi the way it was used the past 100 years.

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 6425
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Cap » Tue May 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Indy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:50 am
Cap wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 am
Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
Disco S2 >> Picard. But there are a few scenes in Picard I loved. Maybe nostalgia, though.

I am/was watching DS9. I got half-way through Season 3 (watching along with the Mission Log Podcast) but things got a little crazy once Winter hit and I lost track. The current craziness hasn't helped so I am still stuck there. I need to pick it up again. I also haven't seen more than a handful of Voyager episodes, and I know a lot of people that like that more than DS9. I haven't seen a single minute of Enterprise.
DS9 and ENT both start out pretty poor but get a lot better. They reward patience.

I’ve never been a big fan of VOY, but most of its fans seem to think it follows the same pattern of the later seasons being the best.
Did ENT follow the DS9 path or TNG path with regard to story telling? I think the entire point of ST is to put a mirror up against our current-day issues and show us the path forward. I am not getting that at all from DS9 (or Disco or Picard). Maybe I am just old and people today don't use SciFi the way it was used the past 100 years.
There were certainly some episodes like that, but I wouldn’t say it was “the entire point” of the series.

I’m with you on Picard. Disappointed. I haven’t bothered with Disco yet, but I’m sure I will eventually.
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against

My [2019-20] prediction is better than mid 30s... mark it down! — Superbone

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by pickle » Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 pm

Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:48 pm
Guys, came late to the conversation, but if any of you want it, I have the Celtics x Lakers best of enemies documentary and the Dream Team one (and probably the book by Jack Mccallum in my HDD.

I can upload to my One Drive and post the links, if that's alright.
Yes please!

Also, what happened to the logo on your avatar?


User avatar
Furlanfufi
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Furlanfufi » Wed May 06, 2020 10:12 am

pickle wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:48 pm
Guys, came late to the conversation, but if any of you want it, I have the Celtics x Lakers best of enemies documentary and the Dream Team one (and probably the book by Jack Mccallum in my HDD.

I can upload to my One Drive and post the links, if that's alright.
Yes please!

Also, what happened to the logo on your avatar?
You mean the part where the number should be?

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17086
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Superbone » Thu May 07, 2020 12:01 am

Watch to the end for the NBA payoff:

Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 5689
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by ShelC » Thu May 07, 2020 7:59 am

18 year anniversary


User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17086
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Superbone » Thu May 07, 2020 9:26 am

Practice. I wish we were talking about practice. Practice. Not a game. Not a game... but practice.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17086
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Superbone » Thu May 07, 2020 9:37 am

Craig Hodges calls out Michael Jordan over 'cocaine circus' comments in 'The Last Dance' documentary

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/crai ... cumentary/
"One of the things as players we call this a fraternity," Hodges said. "So I'm watching the first episode and I was upset about the 'cocaine circus.' That bothered me because I was thinking about the brothers who are on that picture with you who have to explain to their families who are getting ready to watch this great Michael Jordan documentary event and they know you're on the team, and now you've got to explain that to a 12-year-old boy."
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

Post Reply