NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Post by Nodack »

How many Suns got injured?

Cap

Post by Cap »

50 points and 19 assists has been done zero times in NBA history, if anybody was wondering.

Closest are Harden with 53/17 and Oscar Robertson with 44/22.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:02 pm
Even in a 2K game we get owned by Luka. Great.
Luka has actually had quite a few duds against us

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:56 pm
50 points and 19 assists has been done zero times in NBA history, if anybody was wondering.

Closest are Harden with 53/17 and Oscar Robertson with 44/22.
Well, he is having a historic season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:56 pm
How many Suns got injured?
I laughed. Then I cried.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

NBA may not return until June with playoffs extending into August: report
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4877 ... ust-report
The NBA may not be returning until June, with the playoffs and NBA Championship extending into August, according to an ESPN report on Sunday.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've heard on some podcasts that the NBA was mulling a move to start the season later in an effort to get away from the NFL calendar.

Wouldn't it be weird if this virus and suspension not just change the current season, but also the future of the NBA if it moved to something like a December to July schedule?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:15 am
NBA may not return until June with playoffs extending into August: report
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4877 ... ust-report
The NBA may not be returning until June, with the playoffs and NBA Championship extending into August, according to an ESPN report on Sunday.
A silver lining is all of this chaos for NBA fans is it might finally lead to a shortened season. They could start around Christmas and play 60 games through April. Have a loser's bracket tourney for the draft slots with single game elimination while the winners bracket preps for a week to start their brackets.

There is too much overlap with the NFL season right now (and this is coming from a guy that probably only watches 4-5 nfl games a season).

The NFL plays 4 months of regular season, with 1 month of playoffs/superbowl.

The MLB plays 6 months of regular season, with 1 month of playoffs/world series. (And nearly everyone complains about how long/boring the season is)

The NBA plays 6 months of regular season, with 2 months of playoffs/championship.

Also, the MLB only overlaps with the NFL for their playoff gear up/playoffs, whereas the NBA spends 3.5 months of their season overlapping with the NFL.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:48 am
I've heard on some podcasts that the NBA was mulling a move to start the season later in an effort to get away from the NFL calendar.

Wouldn't it be weird if this virus and suspension not just change the current season, but also the future of the NBA if it moved to something like a December to July schedule?
I don;t know how I didn't see your post first.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Reading that owners and player could be in a battle if this scenario were to come to fruition. Rev was already down this season due to the Morey/China situation and now down more with the games missed. So I'm sure the league and owners want an 82game season next year to get back on track, but will the players squeeze 4-5 games in a week to get to 82 games? You'd think they'd work off the 66 game schedule from the lockout season, but that would mean another shortened season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Just shorten the season for good now. And find a way so the playoffs don't take 2 months. ( I would really like the 1st round to be 3 games, 2nd round 5, then 7 for conference and nba finals).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 am
Just shorten the season for good now. And find a way so the playoffs don't take 2 months. ( I would really like the 1st round to be 3 games, 2nd round 5, then 7 for conference and nba finals).
If money weren’t a thing, that might be possible

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

There’s too much money involved in the playoffs to make it work that way. Also a seven games series facilitates that the better team emerges victorious, so the rankings stay high as the matchups between powerhouses arrives.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Still not a fan of shortening the season but would be more open to it if it led to the league figuring out re-seeding in the playoffs to get the top 16 teams in regardless of conference.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:32 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 am
If money weren’t a thing, that might be possible
I know, but they are losing viewership and ratings. So they will be getting less/game in their next broadcast deal. If they can up interest and viewership, they will make more per game and the number of games could be a wash.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:58 am
There’s too much money involved in the playoffs to make it work that way. Also a seven games series facilitates that the better team emerges victorious, so the rankings stay high as the matchups between powerhouses arrives.
But so much less exciting for casual viewers. That is why people don't tune in until the conference finals usually. It is forgone conclusion who at least 3 or those 4 teams will be.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am pretty pessimistic about the whole virus situation. I don't think we will be back to business as usual in a few weeks. I think it'll be months. I think summer NBA is unlikely and that we will be hunkered down isolating ourselves through the summer months. I think this season is toast and that they won't even have a playoffs or crown a 2020 NBA champion. We shall see.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Usual pandemic spreads in a wave. China, identified Oct/Nov (so probably around before then). They didn’t isolate quickly so the spread happened at a normal and not slowed pace.
The identified spread is Jan to March as cases start to emerge world wide. Those cases are slowly (or quickly) increasing, China sees a slow down March time.
So, Of you are looking at a China Nov to March before a decline (after some serious shutdown and isolation later) your looking at 4 months at a possible lowering of the curve.
The UK -End of Feb / March time is looking at June/July before the real slowdown, The US, Middle of March looking optimistically at Mid July/ Aug of all goes well. At that time they may think about relaxing some of the rules.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Are you guys not expecting the warmer weather to slow down the virus?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 pm
Are you guys not expecting the warmer weather to slow down the virus?
not significantly. from everything i read the reason cold/flu season is colder months is because people spend more time in close quarters, spreading it easier. I don't think warmer weather will help too much here if there are 1M cases currently active world-wide. It took us about 7 weeks to go from 1 confirmed case to 100k confirmed cases. Then we went from 100k to 170k in a week (and rising faster each day).