NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 pm
Are you guys not expecting the warmer weather to slow down the virus?
I'm not sure that there is strong evidence that warm weather will in any way slow the virus or its spread. There are already hot places now in March, such as Florida or Australia or central/South America, where the virus is actively infecting people and spreading. This one may not take the summer off at all.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Even of it does, that doesn’t mean it went away, it just went into hibernation. I keep reading about the curve. It sounds like a LOT of people are going to get it and they know that. If they do nothing it spreads fastest and we all get it at the same time and our hospitals can handle about 10% of the cases before running out of beds and incubators etc. They are trying to slow down the spread of the disease to slow down the curve and give our hospitals a chance and to also give them time to come up with a vaccine before too many people die.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:13 pm
Even of it does, that doesn’t mean it went away, it just went into hibernation. I keep reading about the curve. It sounds like a LOT of people are going to get it and they know that. If they do nothing it spreads fastest and we all get it at the same time and our hospitals can handle about 10% of the cases before running out of beds and incubators etc. They are trying to slow down the spread of the disease to slow down the curve and give our hospitals a chance and to also give them time to come up with a vaccine before too many people die.
I read that Italy has reached the point where if a person 80+ years of age comes in to a hospital, they just deny them care and let them suffer or die. They are so overrun with cases and have no resources and are being forced to make the very tough decision to maximize care to people who have a higher chance of survival. That's very sad.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:40 pm
Nodack wrote:
I read that Italy has reached the point where if a person 80+ years of age comes in to a hospital, they just deny them care and let them suffer or die. They are so overrun with cases and have no resources and are being forced to make the very tough decision to maximize care to people who have a higher chance of survival. That's very sad.
This is the kind of thing I'm expecting to happen in the US but with the homeless people
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:55 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Nodack wrote:
This is the kind of thing I'm expecting to happen in the US but with the homeless people
Huh? Why homeless?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:04 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Huh? Why homeless?
Just assuming most of them are highly vulnerable and will have the least amount of access to testing and treatment.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 am
Just shorten the season for good now. And find a way so the playoffs don't take 2 months. ( I would really like the 1st round to be 3 games, 2nd round 5, then 7 for conference and nba finals).
I find myself agreeing with most of what you say, Indy. I also think that if the NBA can drum up interest in these games they can easily raise ticket prices and broadcast revenue to make up for at least part if not all of the shortfall from fewer games.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 pm
Are you guys not expecting the warmer weather to slow down the virus?
I'm not sure that there is strong evidence that warm weather will in any way slow the virus or its spread. There are already hot places now in March, such as Florida or Australia or central/South America, where the virus is actively infecting people and spreading. This one may not take the summer off at all.
I have not seen any scientific study on how weather/temperature affects COVID-19. There is conjecture that it might spread slower in higher temperatures because this virus is quite similar to the SARS virus and SARS was eventually wiped out by warmer weather, but again, there has not been any scientific study on this that I have seen. Even if it is affected by warm weather though, doesn't mean that you won't have cases in warmer climates, just that it spreads slower in warmer climates. So many factors contribute to the spread that weather alone clearly won't be the solution.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:34 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:58 am
There’s too much money involved in the playoffs to make it work that way. Also a seven games series facilitates that the better team emerges victorious, so the rankings stay high as the matchups between powerhouses arrives.
But so much less exciting for casual viewers. That is why people don't tune in until the conference finals usually. It is forgone conclusion who at least 3 or those 4 teams will be.
They still would wait for it after a 5 game format on the earlier rounds. Those two extra games are directed to milk the local fans at the arenas, and captive viewers. And of course a seventh game battle sounds a lot better and draw more casual viewers than a deciding 5th. I don’t think is entirely casual, that there have been a lot of them this last few years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 am
Indy wrote:
Just shorten the season for good now. And find a way so the playoffs don't take 2 months. ( I would really like the 1st round to be 3 games, 2nd round 5, then 7 for conference and nba finals).
I find myself agreeing with most of what you say, Indy. I also think that if the NBA can drum up interest in these games they can easily raise ticket prices and broadcast revenue to make up for at least part if not all of the shortfall from fewer games.
Nope. Got to play all the games. Only way for my bets to pay off. Both of which were on track. :x
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:42 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Huh? Why homeless?
Just assuming most of them are highly vulnerable and will have the least amount of access to testing and treatment.
Trust me homeless have no barriers to emergency care.

It’s the chronic medical conditions that they can’t get ongoing care.

There’s no approved treatment for this thing as of yet. If you’re not dying, you go home and wait it out.

Question is how to guarantee the homeless population also distances themselves. Hard to deliver on that. Shelters will be a problem.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:18 am
pickle wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 am
Indy wrote:
Nope. Got to play all the games. Only way for my bets to pay off. Both of which were on track. :x
How Vegas handles this will be interesting to see...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:19 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Huh? Why homeless?

There’s no approved treatment for this thing as of yet. If you’re not dying, you go home and wait it out.

Question is how to guarantee the homeless population also distances themselves. Hard to deliver on that. Shelters will be a problem.
You certainly have the authority on this over me.

My initial comparison to Italy was along the lines of hospitals essentially choosing who lives and dies and I think homeless people would be one of the first groups in the later. This is mostly based on the stereotype of homeless people having chronic illnesses and trouble with addiction that would make choosing one of them over a 70 year old retiree a bit difficult. This is a dark scenario, but it's happened in Italy so I guess is not too far fetched.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:43 am
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Huh? Why homeless?

My initial comparison to Italy was along the lines of hospitals essentially choosing who lives and dies and I think homeless people would be one of the first groups in the later. This is mostly based on the stereotype of homeless people having chronic illnesses and trouble with addiction that would make choosing one of them over a 70 year old retiree a bit difficult. This is a dark scenario, but it's happened in Italy so I guess is not too far fetched.
We’ll see. That would be awfully difficult to explain why you chose one over another. Inherent bias no matter what

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:08 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:43 am
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Huh? Why homeless?

We’ll see. That would be awfully difficult to explain why you chose one over another. Inherent bias no matter what
I thought Italy was using their war triage protocols to determine who to treat and who to ignore. Someone said there were clear decision trees/rules around it. Sounds cold, but I get it.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Are there some verifiable sources about that Italy thing? I’ve read it on some other boards, but found no news sites about it.
Snopes.com denies it, saying that medical resources are forcing hard decisions, but not a policy leaving elderly people untreated.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/italy ... ronavirus/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:09 pm
Are there some verifiable sources about that Italy thing? I’ve read it on some other boards, but found no news sites about it.
Snopes.com denies it, saying that medical resources are forcing hard decisions, but not a policy leaving elderly people untreated.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/italy ... ronavirus/
The Atlantic has had some good corona coverage. Here are some of their articles about what's going on in Italy:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ed/607807/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Between the lines on that Tweet is that the NBA had to bring in someone of high authority to try to convince owners that playing games is not a good idea and the owners response was, "OK, so July is good."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:55 pm
Between the lines on that Tweet is that the NBA had to bring in someone of high authority to try to convince owners that playing games is not a good idea and the owners response was, "OK, so July is good."
Exactly. The "but" in that quote is the key part.