NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:09 pm
We've just gone 8-0
Rubio is a primary reason for that
We've been in PG wilderness for years
We've had no identity or stability for years
We now have that
Sure, let's just throw it all on red that whoever comes in here will definitely be better than what we have right now.
3rdside wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:13 pm
Throwing it all on red / a 50:50 bet is being generous .. more like throwing it all on one of those 1/3 probability spots. And it's probably even worse than that.

Which guards are there that are definitely available and will definitely be better than Rubio? Is there even one?
Thank you!
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

3rdside wrote:
We've just gone 8-0
I appreciate that, and that tells me this team has promise. I don't think it means we are contenders, and ultimately that is the goal. So I remain open to making changes until we achieve that goal.
3rdside wrote:
I think there are a lot of reasons. Rubio certainly helped. But I don't think everything rests on Rubio, and I don't think he is uniquely qualified to be the only path to success.
3rdside wrote:
I think that has more to do with the quality of the front office than it does the difficulty in finding a point guard. Point guard and center are two of the deepest positions in the league.
3rdside wrote:
We now have that
We haven't had stability for good reason: there hasn't been anyone worth keeping around. That goes for the roster and the coaching. James Jones could have gone for stability and kept Igor. How do you think that would have worked out?

You never stop trying to improve a team that isn't contending. I also don't credit Rubio with being the team identity. He contributes to it, but I don't subscribe to the narrative that suggests that without Rubio everything falls apart. I think without solid point guard play, a lot of this falls apart. And I believe that there is a variety of ways to achieve solid play at the point.
3rdside wrote:
Sure, let's just throw it all on red that whoever comes in here will definitely be better than what we have right now.
I don't consider objective evaluation, scouting, analysis, and detailed planning is the same as gambling. True, you can never be 100% certain how a particular course of action is going to turn out. But I think applies to the notion of running it back.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

3rdside wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:13 pm
Which guards are there that are definitely available and will definitely be better than Rubio? Is there even one?
I don't think it is a linear endeavor of finding someone who is better than Rubio. I think the goal is to put together a better team. My approach is satisfy what we need at point guard while making the team better. I don't think we need much at point guard; I just know we can't run out non-NBA players at that position.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

We're not winning it all next year so the sane strategy is to wait for 2021, let Rubio facilitate the growth of everyone around him as that's what he does better than just about every other PG in the league, then think about mixing it up.

Stability and growth, that's where we're at, not kamikaze wholesale changes that would look even weirder when you've just gone 8-0 against playoff teams.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

3rdside wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 pm
We're not winning it all next year
Agreed, but I think you make moves to get closer to that goal.
3rdside wrote:
kamikaze wholesale changes
I think moving Ricky Rubio qualifies as "kamikaze" wholesale changes. I'm not sure any NBA exec would either. So I agree to disagree.
3rdside wrote:
you've just gone 8-0 against playoff teams.
Washington isn't a playoff team. And our last three opponents were resting multiple players. The 8-0 performance was outstanding, and it should be something everyone is proud of, but I also think it is possible to put too much stock in it.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

"This is special"

"I love you"

"Now go fuck yourselves we're blowing this thing up"

Bro, it's not happening.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm not saying it will happen.

There is a lot that hasn't happened over the last several years, and a lot of it hasn't been good.

But again, I find the notion that moving one player, (especially a non-superstar) is "blowing things up."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

It's not happening for good reason because it's crazy to do it. And if it's not happening, is there any point in talking about it?

Blowing it up - Rubio is what makes Monty's system work like it does, you change that you're fundamentally changing the style of the team.

That meets the definition of blowing it up imo.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:52 pm
3rdside wrote:
We've just gone 8-0
I appreciate that, and that tells me this team has promise. I don't think it means we are contenders, and ultimately that is the goal. So I remain open to making changes until we achieve that goal.
3rdside wrote:
I think there are a lot of reasons. Rubio certainly helped. But I don't think everything rests on Rubio, and I don't think he is uniquely qualified to be the only path to success.
3rdside wrote:
I think that has more to do with the quality of the front office than it does the difficulty in finding a point guard. Point guard and center are two of the deepest positions in the league.
3rdside wrote:
We now have that
We haven't had stability for good reason: there hasn't been anyone worth keeping around. That goes for the roster and the coaching. James Jones could have gone for stability and kept Igor. How do you think that would have worked out?

You never stop trying to improve a team that isn't contending. I also don't credit Rubio with being the team identity. He contributes to it, but I don't subscribe to the narrative that suggests that without Rubio everything falls apart. I think without solid point guard play, a lot of this falls apart. And I believe that there is a variety of ways to achieve solid play at the point.
3rdside wrote:
I don't consider objective evaluation, scouting, analysis, and detailed planning is the same as gambling. True, you can never be 100% certain how a particular course of action is going to turn out. But I think applies to the notion of running it back.
It is really easy for me to understand that you are looking for a better 3 point shooter but hard for me to understand why you can't seem to see how important Rubio is as a true veteran presence on the team. How many times did you see Rubio in the bubble grit things out and carry the team through a rough stretch? And you think a below average PG would be better?

If we can swing a trade for a perennial all star, let's talk. Otherwise, it is pointless to he talking about salary dumping Rubio to open up space for a hypothetical trade. Better to figure out how to get Rubio to avoid shooting 3s on the move and only when he us open.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Besides, Rubio becomes an expiring contract next year anyway. Why salary dump him?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I agree with INF that the bubble shouldn't cloud our judgement. Also agree that, by principle, I am not opposed to trade Rubio (or anyone).

But I'd need to see a specific scenario. For instance, if we somehow drafted Haliburton and FVV wanted to come here. Then you need to use Rubio for a big.

Now, if the draft doesn't deliver a PG, I'd consider very carefully keeping Rubio in today's league even if I got a guard like FVV. Expensive, I know, and would force me to be quite creative at solving the PF and backup C needs, but our guard play would be outstanding with FVV-Booker-Rubio (all can play together), and our array of role players would remain 'safe'.

Via trade, what improvement is out there (and at what cost)? Chris Paul? Lowry? Gary Harris if DEN blows in the playoffs?

Maybe we could just add a guard who brings a ton of shooting and is able to play alongside our guys including Rubio while not being overly expensive, like Patty Mills.

In the end, I'd be careful not to try to be too smart for my own good. Before the bubble we were a top passing and fastbreak team in the league, and Rubio is obviously instrumental to that identity while not being a liability at 3pt shooting (decent scoring overall), with a decision making basically flawless, which is invaluable for a youg team (youngest in the league, actually).

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:55 pm
Besides, Rubio becomes an expiring contract next year anyway. Why salary dump him?
Rubio being an expiring contract next year doesn't help us in 2021 free agency, nor does it help us have enough room now to pursue someone like Christian Wood.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

3rdside wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:07 pm
Rubio is what makes Monty's system work like it does
I don't see it that way. Monty's .5 system calls for essentially every player on the court to be a part of facilitating the offense. This isn't a system where one guy dominates the ball and everyone is dependent on him. Each player makes plays for other. We saw it from Ayton, Saric, Cam, Mikal, and of course, Booker.

Rubio contributed to the success as well, don't get me wrong. And I think you need a capable passer at the point. I just wouldn't go as far as to say Rubio "makes the system work."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That would be a McDonough move to get rid of Rubio without a better alternative. Or replace him with two lesser PGs.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Right now we have a team. Let's not blow it.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Couldn't you decline all the FA, except Carter and Payne, but work out something with Saric that they'll bring him back with a good portion of the MLE and then have enough money to make a pitch at Wood?
I believe they could have as much as $20 mil in cap space if they decline everyone. I don't think they offer Wood though. It might be someone with more of a veteran presence.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

You can't use cap space and the MLE.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You’d have to get Saric to agree to the room exception, which is what we gave Kaminsky. I think Saric will get more than that.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:24 am
3rdside wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:07 pm
Rubio is what makes Monty's system work like it does
I don't see it that way. Monty's .5 system calls for essentially every player on the court to be a part of facilitating the offense. This isn't a system where one guy dominates the ball and everyone is dependent on him. Each player makes plays for other. We saw it from Ayton, Saric, Cam, Mikal, and of course, Booker.

Rubio contributed to the success as well, don't get me wrong. And I think you need a capable passer at the point. I just wouldn't go as far as to say Rubio "makes the system work."

I'm overstating Rubio's unique ability to make the system work - other pass first PG's could do it but they're few and far between in this league, and it's a pass first style that I like for now as it creates team chemistry while facilitating the development of the younger guys.

We have a pass first guard, he's not perfect but he's cost effective and he's doing the things described above.

Unless it's an obvious move (again, is there an obvious cost-effective upgrade PG that's available?) then what's the point.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:08 pm
Right now we have a team. Let's not blow it.
This can't be overstated enough.