NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:49 am
In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:17 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:12 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:22 am
Okobo was by far the worst player on the floor and made matters worse when he saw the floor for the vast majority of games. He had a few decent games, but they couldn't come close to erasing how bad the team played when he saw the floor last year.
This feels a little exaggerated, but ultimately it doesn't change the fact that Okobo wasn't/isn't a plus. But I think that is more a product of being a raw, foreign prospect than it is an indication that he won't develop to be a good player.
I could be exaggerating it only slightly, and I agree with you on the rest.
A lot of the advanced stats back you up, at least in the bottom 2 of rotation players.
Ty Johnson being the other?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 am
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:22 am
Okobo was by far the worst player on the floor and made matters worse when he saw the floor for the vast majority of games. He had a few decent games, but they couldn't come close to erasing how bad the team played when he saw the floor last year.
This feels a little exaggerated, but ultimately it doesn't change the fact that Okobo wasn't/isn't a plus. But I think that is more a product of being a raw, foreign prospect than it is an indication that he won't develop to be a good player.
A lot of the advanced stats back you up, at least in the bottom 2 of rotation players.
yep

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:59 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 am
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

yep
The eyeball test definitely backs it up. And it's not even close.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:25 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:54 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:42 am
I don't buy the Nash comparison. We traded Nash because he was already a starting caliber point guard. Last time we played a game, Jerome was not better than Ellie Okobo.

I think it's a bit of a moot point. When we draft, there probably won't be a great PG available.
We traded him because he was our 3rd best PG on the team and needed help in other places. But yeah, they aren't close yet.
Exactly, Indy.

I felt good about Nash after his rookie year. I didn't think he would be an All-Star, but I thought he would be a good player. I can't say any of that about Jerome.
Nash worked very hard in the offseason after his rookie year to improve. In his 2nd year he was much more confident trying to take guys off the dribble. Ainge gave him more listened to do so. So I’m keen to see if Jerome can make any strides. He has been tripping over himself somewhat this year. When he’s timid and doesn’t look for his shot he is bumuseless out there. Seems to focused on trying to run a system or something. Looks more like dragic in his first year. Hasn’t worked. Got to throw him into summer league next year

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:32 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
I don't buy the Nash comparison. We traded Nash because he was already a starting caliber point guard. Last time we played a game, Jerome was not better than Ellie Okobo.

I think it's a bit of a moot point. When we draft, there probably won't be a great PG available.
We traded him because he was our 3rd best PG on the team and needed help in other places. But yeah, they aren't close yet.
Exactly, Indy.

I felt good about Nash after his rookie year. I didn't think he would be an All-Star, but I thought he would be a good player. I can't say any of that about Jerome.
Nash worked very hard in the offseason after his rookie year to improve. In his 2nd year he was much more confident trying to take guys off the dribble. Ainge gave him more listened to do so. So I’m keen to see if Jerome can make any strides. He has been tripping over himself somewhat this year. When he’s timid and doesn’t look for his shot he is bumuseless out there. Seems to focused on trying to run a system or something. Looks more like dragic in his first year. Hasn’t worked. Got to throw him into summer league next year
If they even have summer league.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:34 pm
Danimal wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:32 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Exactly, Indy.

If they even have summer league.
Let's hope. Most likely not open to the public though. Hopefully televised.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I can't see them having a summer league at all. Getting well onto the other side of the virus's curve by July seems best case right now.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Both Nash and Dragic earned regular minutes in the rotation and shot very well from deep as rookies. Sure, they had a lot of growing to do (especially Goran), but they had real NBA strengths. They could shoot and pass, and would drive if they had an opening.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Saw this and have always wondered about the guy. Seemed as solid a backup big as there was but never broke thru or got a ton of respect. Always liked his game for what it was tho and the numbers were there. FT % is a drawback and he probably won't stretch the floor at all but as a veteran backup and maybe replacement for Baynes or Diallo?. I'd give him a look.

https://aroyalpain.com/2019/07/22/sacra ... ff-europe/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What do you think of this?

Let Diallo, Owens, Okobo, and Saric go.

Draft Achuiwa and Riller by buying a pick or moving back.

Sign Wood, trade '21 1st for Kennard and Baynes to MLE.

Rubio/Riller/Jerome/Lecque
Booker/Kennard/Carter
Oubre/Bridges/Johnson
Wood/Bridges/Kaminsky/Achiuwa
Ayton/Baynes/Wood/Kaminsky
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm still not totally convinced on Wood. Nice player, but wouldn't give him a ton of money or necessarily a starting spot.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:25 am
I'm still not totally convinced on Wood. Nice player, but wouldn't give him a ton of money or necessarily a starting spot.
Could work as both a PF and backup C if Baynes isn't resigned. I'm not totally sure either, but he seems like a good bet, based on what he's done in the past couple seasons and some of the other numbers he's put up elsewhere. I hope it's not a great number and maybe you could sign FVV and then Wood on a MLE, but idk.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wonder what the interest is on both sides for Baynes. Does he want to stay in Phoenix or sign with a contender? I'd assume we'd want him back at the right price.

I have a feeling Wood and FVV might be getting overpaid this offseason and I'm not sure I'd break the bank for either. And I also have a sneaking suspicion we'll see that Oubre for Gordon move this summer to cover the PF spot.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I hope not on the Oubre for Gordon front. I think the idea is to build the bench, not come back with the same holes.

Yeah, I think they will probably both get overpaid, but I'm not sure.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:15 am
What do you think of this?

Let Diallo, Owens, Okobo, and Saric go.

Draft Achuiwa and Riller by buying a pick or moving back.

Sign Wood, trade '21 1st for Kennard and Baynes to MLE.

Rubio/Riller/Jerome/Lecque
Booker/Kennard/Carter
Oubre/Bridges/Johnson
Wood/Bridges/Kaminsky/Achiuwa
Ayton/Baynes/Wood/Kaminsky
Too many players is a nice problem to have, but I think it’d be hard to pull off and be costly. I do like signing Wood. He can play the 4 and take the backup 5 minutes. Don’t see a reason to bring back Baynes, Kaminsky or draft Achiuwa if we sign Wood. Then draft Haliburton at 10.

You’d have options in the starting lineup. I don’t know if I’d start Oubre or Wood...but let’s say Oubre.

Rubio/Booker/Bridges/Oubre/Ayton with
Haliburton/Johnson/Wood off the bench.

That’s a solid 8-man. I’m fine with Carter as a 3rd string situational guy. Lecque and Jerome can hang around as developmental guys. Could probably use a stretch 4 to play spot minutes and a backup rotational backcourt guy. Probably one who could be replaced without much hassle if Jerome/Carter prove worthy. A 3rd string C minimum C would be nice too.

Rubio/FA backup/Jerome
Booker/Haliburton/Carter/Lecque
Bridges/Johnson/Vet Min shooter
Oubre/Wood/FA stretch 4
Ayton/Wood/Vet Min

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The reason I like Achiuwa is that he is a lot like Siakam. You can develop him in the GLeague and over time his offensive game comes around to be that type of PF next to Ayton, you hope. That is if you develop him correctly.

I thought that Haliburton was a PG or at least a combo PG.

I'm not opposed to your plan. Would you just keep Kaminsky as that stretch 4 and 3rd string Center?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Isn't Kaminsky on a guaranteed contract?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Looks like next year is a team option at 5mil.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-sun ... sky-17837/

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:46 am
The reason I like Achiuwa is that he is a lot like Siakam. You can develop him in the GLeague and over time his offensive game comes around to be that type of PF next to Ayton, you hope. That is if you develop him correctly.

I thought that Haliburton was a PG or at least a combo PG.

I'm not opposed to your plan. Would you just keep Kaminsky as that stretch 4 and 3rd string Center?
Ya Haliburton is some kind of combo guard. I just wouldn’t want to put running the 2nd unit completely in his hands yet. Ultimately I think he could be the long term option alongside Booker. I’d play him the way SGA has been used early in his career.

You could keep Kaminsky, but he’s making a little too much money for my tastes. Feels like you could use that money more wisely.

I looked at a few FA options...the backup pg market isn’t great. DJ Augustin and Shabazz Napier would probably be the best targets.

I think going after Jerami Grant could be interesting..not if we get Wood though. Getting a shooter like Bertans would also do wonders for our offense. Joe Harris could be another target that can really shoot.

I wonder if we’d go after Millsap on a 1 year deal if we strike out on our top targets. He’s old, but would help and a 1 year deal leaves no commitment.

We could go big after FVV...but I’m not sure he’s leaving Toronto, and don’t think he’d come split time with Rubio if he did.

Gallo could be an option, but I’d rather just go get Bertans.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gallo doesn't quite put the fear in the opposing defense the way Bertans does, but he can do so much more than Bertans can and he's probably a better defender. Bertans can kind of screw up the defense in the way that they have to chase him around and not give him any room. He would be fun, especially if Cam keeps getting better and develops the same way. It just opens up the floor for Ayton, Booker and whoever else is on the floor.