NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:49 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:34 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:50 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:45 am

Yeah, lets enjoy the show for another week at least.
Weird talking about free agent targets in the free agent targets thread.

Maybe we should lock the thread...
Its about the timing, bud.
Thank you!
Y'all are great, but I'm going have to commit blasphemy just this one time and actually entertain the possibility of upgrading from Jevon Carter. I know he is untouchable and all, but I just can't help myself. Sorry.
Nothing wrong with that. FVV or Derrick White anyone?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:13 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Thank you!
Y'all are great, but I'm going have to commit blasphemy just this one time and actually entertain the possibility of upgrading from Jevon Carter. I know he is untouchable and all, but I just can't help myself. Sorry.
I forgot about the rule that says you can't comment on how to make something better if we finally won more than 2 games in a row.
Well, it's a good thing you remembered then!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:07 pm
I don't think White is a free agent.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:10 pm
INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:45 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:41 pm
What I find really strange is that we seem to be playing great with Payne and Carter as our backups yet folks here want to muck with it.
Yeah, lets enjoy the show for another week at least.

Then it should be in the NBA FA 2021 thread!
You know I'm not going to stifle your FA/Rookie talk, INF. And you wouldn't let me anyway. I get that that is where a lot of your enjoyment comes from and I would never want to stifle that. But seriously, isn't this still last year's thread? Shouldn't it be 2021 FAs we're talking about?

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

No, free agency will be in 2020. This thread is for free agents we target come October

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:32 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:07 pm
I don't think White is a free agent.
You're right. You would have to trade for him.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:13 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Thank you!
I forgot about the rule that says you can't comment on how to make something better if we finally won more than 2 games in a row.
It’s because it has been so long... :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:41 pm
No, free agency will be in 2020. This thread is for free agents we target come October
Got it.

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oatmeal just made a point in the Game Day thread that I had already plan to post in here by saying Sham Payne and I would admit that all I really knew about him was seeing him being trolled
Would see his name pop in fantasy with ppl clowning saying u know it's end of season when there are actually Cam Payne highlights or whatever but I never paid attention to him.

Now doing my due diligence because he's on the Suns I didn't even realize he been in the league so long I just knew he was picked 14th. To those like myself who might not have known it was the Booker draft (13) then Cam then Oubre 15 how crazy is that. I know it's always easy or tempting to say a player is trash but sometimes it's just as simple as confidence and opportunity. His career been a wash so far and maybe he needed this recent extended stint in the G League to have things come together for him. We often say here that a player wasn't ready but watch him go to a better situation/organization and produce so why for once can't we be the ones getting a late bloomer

The irony is the players we have wished for/targeted recently is the G League poster boy FVV , Dinwiddie also had three stints in the G League and then there is also Seth who took a while to find his way

So yes it's just been a few games but it would not be far fetched that a random signing like this although Monty knew him as a rookie ends up being a solid guy for us

Let me Edit and add this part lol. I'm not saying he can produce like FVV and Dinwiddie lol but just showing there can be value in these guys that had to go to the G League to hone their skills and carve out a role. Even with guys we had DJJ has done well for himself , Danuel House has seemingly found a home also and then there's another .Net FA target Christian Wood who had to put in his work in the G League so here ends my supporting Campaign :lol:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:53 am
Oatmeal just made a point in the Game Day thread that I had already plan to post in here by saying Sham Payne and I would admit that all I really knew about him was seeing him being trolled
Would see his name pop in fantasy with ppl clowning saying u know it's end of season when there are actually Cam Payne highlights or whatever but I never paid attention to him.

Now doing my due diligence because he's on the Suns I didn't even realize he been in the league so long I just knew he was picked 14th. To those like myself who might not have known it was the Booker draft (13) then Cam then Oubre 15 how crazy is that. I know it's always easy or tempting to say a player is trash but sometimes it's just as simple as confidence and opportunity. His career been a wash so far and maybe he needed this recent extended stint in the G League to have things come together for him. We often say here that a player wasn't ready but watch him go to a better situation/organization and produce so why for once can't we be the ones getting a late bloomer

The irony is the players we have wished for/targeted recently is the G League poster boy FVV , Dinwiddie also had three stints in the G League and then there is also Seth who took a while to find his way

So yes it's just been a few games but it would not be far fetched that a random signing like this although Monty knew him as a rookie ends up being a solid guy for us

Let me Edit and add this part lol. I'm not saying he can produce like FVV and Dinwiddie lol but just showing there can be value in these guys that had to go to the G League to hone their skills and carve out a role. Even with guys we had DJJ has done well for himself , Danuel House has seemingly found a home also and then there's another .Net FA target Christian Wood who had to put in his work in the G League so here ends my supporting Campaign :lol:
These are good points. Could they have found a diamond in the rough?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well In2 we can all hope he is our diamond in the rough so my post was just to highlight some reasons why it might not be too far fetched a scenario.

Even if his next four games are just Ok he will take confidence from this and it looks fairly certain that there's no place for Jerome n Okobo at this point and they don't have any value on the market

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not to nitpick, but where has our FO been? They had 4 months and if it weren't for Monty calling up Payne, Carter and Jerome would be our main backups. No other additions brought to the bubble with Baynes and Oubre both out. Were they scouting the GLeague for young players to bring to the bubble? Payne had some big games down there and had the connection to Monty.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:47 pm
Not to nitpick, but where has our FO been? They had 4 months and if it weren't for Monty calling up Payne, Carter and Jerome would be our main backups. No other additions brought to the bubble with Baynes and Oubre both out. Were they scouting the GLeague for young players to bring to the bubble? Payne had some big games down there and had the connection to Monty.
I would like to think they weren't sitting on their hands
Our guys whoever they are could have seen him and then asked Monty his thoughts and he vouch for him so then was the one to make the call or what's not
Who knows....

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
they were busy figuring out how to sell the G-league team and finding ways to save money on training staff, and figuring out which long-term Suns employees they were going to lay off.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Did anyone see that tweet about total Analytics employees for each organization? We had 2 total. Tied for 2nd to last in the league. That's in addition to our scouting department being razed.

No analytics. Limited scouting. No G-league for player development. Multiple assistants laid off.

We're close to making decisions on James Jones' "gut." Dangerous stuff.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Is NYK at the bottom or tied with us?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Yeah, this is a great point. It's kind of pathetic that our FO had to have the coach call an old friend to fill an urgent roster need. Our FO should be all over players like Payne and bringing guys in to help our team. I don't expect them to be perfect, but that just smells like lack of effort on their part. Monty was so desperate for guard depth that he started going through his own rolodex to find a warm body. It reminds me of teachers who are so under-resourced that they start buying their own school supplies for their students. I wonder if Monty had to pay Payne's contract, too. LOL.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Did anyone see that tweet about total Analytics employees for each organization? We had 2 total. Tied for 2nd to last in the league. That's in addition to our scouting department being razed.

No analytics. Limited scouting. No G-league for player development. Multiple assistants laid off.

I did see that, but I think there was like 7 or 8 teams tied with 2 analytic staff. Including some pretty good franchises.

I don’t like getting rid of our g league team. We didn’t use it like we should have, but it was still a helpful tool. Still, I don’t think it’s the worst thing. Portland and Denver also don’t have g league teams and they develop talent just fine. In fact there is an article in the athletic today on how they develop that talent without g league teams.

I’ve also heard that there was a much bigger presence by the suns scouting department on the scouting circuit this year. I can’t remember exactly where I heard that, but it might have been Sam Vecenie.

Not to say these things aren’t problems. I wish we were utilizing every resource we can, but I think we can still be successful. Some asset valuation problems last off season, but the big picture is James Jones has built a good team. The Cam pick looks better in hindsight, as does the Rubio signing. Cam Payne and Kelly Oubre we’re also very good additions. Malcolm Brogdon himself said we made a serious run at him, which makes me feel good. He was an ideal backcourt pairing last year. I think James Jones knows what he’s doing and hopefully he’s learned some asset valuation skills.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You just know that Sarver thinks we have everything figured out now because we have a core that could become a good team. So what's the need for scouting, development, future assets, planning? Who needs those?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:40 pm
ShelC wrote:
Yeah, this is a great point. It's kind of pathetic that our FO had to have the coach call an old friend to fill an urgent roster need. Our FO should be all over players like Payne and bringing guys in to help our team. I don't expect them to be perfect, but that just smells like lack of effort on their part. Monty was so desperate for guard depth that he started going through his own rolodex to find a warm body. It reminds me of teachers who are so under-resourced that they start buying their own school supplies for their students. I wonder if Monty had to pay Payne's contract, too. LOL.
Maybe, like Baja said, the FO asked Monty for recommendations. We don't know, so they could get the benefit of the doubt there. But Payne was a great addition because it was so low risk/high reward. Orlando was the perfect situation to bring a young player into and get a look at for next season. Isaiah Hartenstein might've been a good young big to bring into the mix as well for the same reason.
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:28 pm

I saw that but not sure how updated it was as some teams weren't correct. I think some teams, like the Sixers IIRC, probably overdo it just the same.