NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone »

What I find really strange is that we seem to be playing great with Payne and Carter as our backups yet folks here want to muck with it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:14 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:28 am
To me, this is worth the risk of a relevant contract on a older player, especially because by his third year you are giving yourself a nice trading chip to try to make a move to get to the next level, something that shouldn't be overlooked because by then we will have Booker, Ayton and probably others making a lot of money.
Kind of catching up on this thread. When is the last time the Suns used an expiring as a trade chip to improve the team? Lately we've just been buying guys out and saving a few bucks. So I'm not really keen on any contract that has us already assuming we'd need to use the last year as a trade chip.
I know it's not probable, but I post about what I believe would be the best for the franchise. Thinking about roster moves is no fun when you have to account for the handicap that comes from having one of the worst owners in the business...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:41 pm
What I find really strange is that we seem to be playing great with Payne and Carter as our backups yet folks here want to muck with it.
Personally, I see Carter mainly as a keeper. Payne has been a nice surprise, but he has to prove that he is more than a flas in the pan, which of course I hope he does.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Carter/Kaminsky minutes will get eaten up by Oubre if he comes back. Listed as doubtful today. I like Carter, I’d bring him back as long as we’re not counting on a regular rotation spot more than spot minutes.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:24 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:58 am
I will add in another reason.
8. The best teams in the West have multiple big bigs and can go with huge lineups. Blazers, Mavs, Lakers, Denver, Memphis
Blazers - Zach Collins doesn't a decided advantage over our small lineup. I think the Blazers end up having to match up with us.
Mavs - they're mostly playing small; you make draft decisions to counter Boban. Sign Christ Koumadje and call it a day
Lakers - they eventually go to a LeBron-Kuzma-Davis frontline; Howard and McGee don't scare me into trying to match size for size
Denver - They aren't running huge lineups; they may not even bring back Paul Millsap, and Michael Porter Jr. and Jerami Grant are perimeter players.
Memphis - good point, but you don't beat Memphis at their own game; and JJJ spends a lot of time on the perimeter and is a poor rebounder
I think having a big off the bench helps you against foul trouble and matchups against the starter and a big backup where another mismatch could happen. This type of roster versatility helps with some matchups and not others so much.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Yeah, lets enjoy the show for another week at least.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
That is silly. The team is playing great. Payne is playing great. Carter has had a few moments defensively here and there. But I wouldn't say he has been great. And with that logic, we might as well say we're playing great with Frank Kaminsky and include him in the core.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:45 am
Superbone wrote:
Weird talking about free agent targets in the free agent targets thread.

Maybe we should lock the thread...

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:35 am
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
8. The best teams in the West have multiple big bigs and can go with huge lineups. Blazers, Mavs, Lakers, Denver, Memphis
Blazers - Zach Collins doesn't a decided advantage over our small lineup. I think the Blazers end up having to match up with us.
Mavs - they're mostly playing small; you make draft decisions to counter Boban. Sign Christ Koumadje and call it a day
Lakers - they eventually go to a LeBron-Kuzma-Davis frontline; Howard and McGee don't scare me into trying to match size for size
Denver - They aren't running huge lineups; they may not even bring back Paul Millsap, and Michael Porter Jr. and Jerami Grant are perimeter players.
Memphis - good point, but you don't beat Memphis at their own game; and JJJ spends a lot of time on the perimeter and is a poor rebounder
I think having a big off the bench helps you against foul trouble and matchups against the starter and a big backup where another mismatch could happen. This type of roster versatility helps with some matchups and not others so much.
I mean, yeah, of course we need a backup big. We had Baynes this year, and next year we'll have someone, perhaps even Baynes returns.

But does the need for a backup big mean you spend a top 4 pick in the draft on one?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am
Superbone wrote:
That is silly. The team is playing great. Payne is playing great. Carter has had a few moments defensively here and there. But I wouldn't say he has been great. And with that logic, we might as well say we're playing great with Frank Kaminsky and include him in the core.
THAT is silly, silly.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:50 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Then it should be in the NBA FA 2021 thread!

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Its about the timing, bud.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 pm
INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Thank you!

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:04 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:35 am
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I mean, yeah, of course we need a backup big. We had Baynes this year, and next year we'll have someone, perhaps even Baynes returns.

But does the need for a backup big mean you spend a top 4 pick in the draft on one?
I get that, but it's not quite that simply described. Yeah, it's not the best if it's strictly for a backup big, but it seems that anyone that they pick around that range is going to be a backup. This is partial backup, partial insurance policy, & partial investment as I think he's going to be highly valued in time.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:35 pm
it seems that anyone that they pick around that range is going to be a backup
I think the difference is that if you choose LaMelo Ball, you expect him to eventually be a high level starter, and there is room on the roster for that to happen. Ditto for Tobbin and Haliburton. That wouldn't be true of Wiseman.
In2ition wrote:
Partial investment as I think he's going to be highly valued in time.
It is going to be really difficult to get a return on that investment. Nearly every NBA team has their center position solved; there won't be many motivated to give up equal value, especially when Wiseman is about to a free agent. The Suns wouldn't be in position to match a substantial offer to him with Ayton making the max.

In2ition wrote:
partial insurance policy
Because you're not sold on Ayton?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:34 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Thank you!
Y'all are great, but I'm going have to commit blasphemy just this one time and actually entertain the possibility of upgrading from Jevon Carter. I know he is untouchable and all, but I just can't help myself. Sorry.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:49 pm
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Thank you!
Y'all are great, but I'm going have to commit blasphemy just this one time and actually entertain the possibility of upgrading from Jevon Carter. I know he is untouchable and all, but I just can't help myself. Sorry.
Upgrade to Shaq? Lol.

Now TJ I can get behind.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm
In2ition wrote:
it seems that anyone that they pick around that range is going to be a backup
I think the difference is that if you choose LaMelo Ball, you expect him to eventually be a high level starter, and there is room on the roster for that to happen. Ditto for Tobbin and Haliburton. That wouldn't be true of Wiseman.
In2ition wrote:
Partial investment as I think he's going to be highly valued in time.
It is going to be really difficult to get a return on that investment. Nearly every NBA team has their center position solved; there won't be many motivated to give up equal value, especially when Wiseman is about to a free agent. The Suns wouldn't be in position to match a substantial offer to him with Ayton making the max.

In2ition wrote:
partial insurance policy
Because you're not sold on Ayton?
That last part is my biggest fear. I am just worried that Ayton is going to break all of our hearts by fumbling a pass or missing something because he tried to avoid contact.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:49 pm
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Thank you!
I forgot about the rule that says you can't comment on how to make something better if we finally won more than 2 games in a row.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm content with running back with everyone besides Kaminsky and Jerome.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.