NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by In2ition »

So it seems like the end of the season has come, and we could start to talk about the targets the Suns could go after. The FA list isn't outstanding, but they could still make a big splash with some lesser known names. Not everyone is going to have money and the Suns are in a good position to fill holes that aren't necessarily needed in their starting lineup, but building a bench should be their priority, specifically PF, backup PG, and possibly backup C. It might depend on what they do the draft.

My PF list:
Wood
Bertans
Boucher
Gallo
Grant
Millsap

My PG list:
VanVleet
Augustin
Lowry
Dragic
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:30 am
So it seems like the end of the season has come...
Says who?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:10 am
In2ition wrote:
So it seems like the end of the season has come...
Says who?
No one important enough to make that announcement.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'll be very interested to see where the salary cap lands for next season. If it stays the same, we have about 18 million to spend. The nba came into the season projecting it much higher, but with all the lost games it may turn out significantly lower.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

pickle

Post by pickle »

I read somewhere the NBA/HK situation has led the salary to drop by about 1 million, and this current crisis will likely dent it a little more.

I like that PF list, other than Boucher. I don't think Lowry is an FA. As I recall they extended him. Not interested in a reunion with Dragic personally.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:18 pm
I read somewhere the NBA/HK situation has led the salary to drop by about 1 million, and this current crisis will likely dent it a little more.

I like that PF list, other than Boucher. I don't think Lowry is an FA. As I recall they extended him. Not interested in a reunion with Dragic personally.
You're probably right about Lowry, I was using an old list. I tend to agree on Dragic, but thought I would put his name on there. The lists are certainly not complete. I like Boucher as a backup PF, not so much as a starter. He can stretch the defense, and he makes himself an annoyance on the offensive boards, plus he challenges every shot. I think the will be available for much less than many of the guys, so maybe if they get a PG in the draft they could go after 2 PFs like Bertans and Boucher, both slight, but both that offer the opposition different problems.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I like several of our options at PF this summer. There are free agents and draft prospects out there that I think make sense for the Suns and can improve the roster immediately.

The guards are tougher to get excited over. There isn't one I would be excited to get unless we move way up in the draft or grab a FA for extremely cheap.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This might seem wild, but one scenario that has me intrigued is the following(but I admit highly unlikely):

1. If they fall in range of to draft Wiseman as the backup C, that way they always have that anchor in the middle and offers Deandre with some competition every day to push each other. It also helps to have the Bryant as a coach that can concentrate on developing them both. Wiseman is a better functional athlete than Ayton, has better hands and a bigger catch radius than Ayton, imo. He is also more aggressive, for better or worse. Always having that athletic big on the floor, would allow the rest of the team to go relatively small. He has some skills that can be easier fixed for long term improvement, imo. His shot isn't as flat, so I think it can be scaled out to the 3 with time. He also seems to have better driving instincts. I don't know if he's quite as good around the basket, but he is more likely to dunk the ball and dunk on someone than Deandre is. He is also more likely to create contact going to the rim and less likely to shoot a fade-away jumpshot or settle for a midrange shot. I don't think he's going to be able to guard the perimeter as well as Ayton can though, and like Ayton was his rookie year, I expect him to have the same problems guarding in space and defensive awareness away from the ball.

2. Buy a draft pick in the 2nd round and draft Arturs Zagars. I am not sure that he will even be drafted or will keep his name in the draft, but I really like this kid from Latvia. He's much quicker than Jerome, and I think he's a better passer and shooter than him(even though those are 2 of Ty's strengths). He's 2 inches shorter(6'3") and he's slight right now, but it doesn't mean a huge deal in the NBA as we see with Trae, Curry and Nash before them. He's also very good at finishing at the rim and has tried to copy Kyrie in this aspect. His bballiq and court awareness is outstanding, imo. He's like a lower usage Trae type of PG. His English is also already very good.

3. Spend the money in FA for both Bertans and Boucher. This adds the incredible gravity that Bertans shooting creates, while improving the outside shooting on the team. Boucher fills in the backup role and becomes that annoyance to opposing teams, as he seems to find a way to get those offensive rebounds and keep possessions going.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
So it seems like the end of the season has come, and we could start to talk about the targets the Suns could go after. The FA list isn't outstanding, but they could still make a big splash with some lesser known names. Not everyone is going to have money and the Suns are in a good position to fill holes that aren't necessarily needed in their starting lineup, but building a bench should be their priority, specifically PF, backup PG, and possibly backup C. It might depend on what they do the draft.

My PF list:
Wood
Bertans
Boucher
Gallo
Grant
Millsap

My PG list:
VanVleet
Augustin
Lowry
Dragic
No Harry Giles? I like him as a flyer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:42 pm
In2ition wrote:

My PF list:
Wood
Bertans
Boucher
Gallo
Grant
Millsap

My PG list:
VanVleet
Augustin
Lowry
Dragic
Good one. I didn't even think about him.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

I like him, depending on how hairy he really is.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:40 pm
I like him, depending on how hairy he really is.
I never liked my giles hairy. It starts to get itchy.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:35 am
This might seem wild, but one scenario that has me intrigued is the following(but I admit highly unlikely):

2. Buy a draft pick in the 2nd round and draft Arturs Zagars. I am not sure that he will even be drafted or will keep his name in the draft, but I really like this kid from Latvia. He's much quicker than Jerome, and I think he's a better passer and shooter than him(even though those are 2 of Ty's strengths). He's 2 inches shorter(6'3") and he's slight right now, but it doesn't mean a huge deal in the NBA as we see with Trae, Curry and Nash before them. He's also very good at finishing at the rim and has tried to copy Kyrie in this aspect. His bballiq and court awareness is outstanding, imo. He's like a lower usage Trae type of PG. His English is also already very good.
Honestly I never quite understood the Jerome selection... why are we in such a rush to draft more point guards when we didn't know what to do with the ones we already had on the roster (at the time Melton and Okobo, now Carter and Okobo, and Lecque). Didn't realize Jerome is 6'5. Also a little scary that a guy who is possibly not gonna be drafted in the 2nd round in this coming draft which is being panned as a weak one is better than Jerome whom we picked up in the late first in last year's stronger draft. I guess the defeatist in my as a Suns fan is kicking in.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:42 pm
If he can fly, we should take him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

pickle wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:22 am
In2ition wrote:

Honestly I never quite understood the Jerome selection... why are we in such a rush to draft more point guards when we didn't know what to do with the ones we already had on the roster (at the time Melton and Okobo, now Carter and Okobo, and Lecque). Didn't realize Jerome is 6'5. Also a little scary that a guy who is possibly not gonna be drafted in the 2nd round in this coming draft which is being panned as a weak one is better than Jerome whom we picked up in the late first in last year's stronger draft. I guess the defeatist in my as a Suns fan is kicking in.

I think Jones/Monty/the FO knew they needed winning college vets on the roster, if only to bring a work ethic and professionalism to the lockerroom and practice court. 4 years of college weeds out the knuckleheads or guys who aren't serious about basketball. Staying and getting the experience of playing for winning programs, winning championships over 4 years can do more for a team than another raw, 18 yr old project with potential, even if they don't play much.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I agree with Shel on the Jerome selection. Also, Ty has one of the best bball minds on the roster. He just has a lot of work to do on his body.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I still wouldn't have picked him, but that's the Jones logic.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:22 am
In2ition wrote:

This draft is weak overall, but not at the PG position. It's one of the strongest PG drafts we've ever had. I can't tell you who is going to shine and who exactly is going to bust, but time should tell. Jerome has a lot to like. He has strong skills and bballiq and court sense is very good. His problem is that speed and quickness is a liability at this time. Can it improve? Hopefully, but it's up to him. He needs to improve his strength, flexibility and his body fat % at the same time. That's not easy for everyone, and he may think he's at the peak of his potential in those matters. Honestly, he needs to learn what Nash did and take it to that level or he might just be an end of the bench guy for his career, if not move on to Europe or China.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Ty Jerome. He doesn't yet have NBA-level athleticism, but I think he has a really good feel for the game and high hoops IQ. I like his passing and floor generalship, and he's a decent shooter. If he keeps training hard and working on his conditioning, I could see him becoming a valuable backup PG. I think what he's missing is less objectionable to me than if he couldn't shoot or was a ball-hogger.

I do worry that we've let Okobo fall through the cracks a bit. I wasn't super high on him last year, but he actually showed some pretty good improvement in several areas of his game this season. He quietly had several nights of good shooting and overall effective offensive contribution. But it feels like he isn't favored by our current front office or coaching staff. Not sure why; maybe because he wasn't "their" guy. Feels like he'll leave us and go to the Spurs or Rockets or someplace and become a valuable rotation player.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Okobo was by far the worst player on the floor and made matters worse when he saw the floor for the vast majority of games. He had a few decent games, but they couldn't come close to erasing how bad the team played when he saw the floor last year.