NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Post Reply
User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6169
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by In2ition » Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 pm

If you get a guy like Riller in the draft that can get a step on his defender, get to the rim on either side, create contact and finish, having all those gravities on the perimeter with Booker, Bertans, and Cam or Bridges just puts a huge amount of pressure on the rim protector and the guy that has to cover his guy that he leaves. If Riller developed his passing with those options around, the Suns would be nearly unstoppable on the offensive end using projected growth of the young guys. Plus, he has deep range himself on the catch or off the dribble. Kind of reminds me a little of Dame.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Split T » Thu May 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Ya I’d prefer Bertans to Gallo. Both would just be role players and I’ll take the elite shooting skill of Bertans over Gallo’s more rounded game.

I haven’t really spent any time looking at Riller. So I can’t really comment...is 10 too high or would you be willing to take him there?
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Devin Vassell • Kira Lewis Jr. • Saddiq Bey • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6169
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by In2ition » Thu May 07, 2020 3:23 pm

10 is probably going to be considered a reach, at least right. Maybe come draft time it won't be.

I'll honestly be curious which direction the Suns go this yr. I remember, maybe incorrectly, that someone mentioned that players want to come to Phx. I hope that's someone important.

Gallo would be nice though, he can pass, dribble, take guys to the basket, shoot nearly as well as Bertans and rebound. Idk who and who does not want to play in Phx, so I'll be happy if they are decent.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Split T » Thu May 07, 2020 3:34 pm

People love living in Phoenix(Scottsdale). The new practice facility in Scottsdale should help. James Jones and Monty Williams have a lot of respect amongst the players, and I think most respect Booker as well. He got a lot of support when he didn’t make the all star team initially.

Sarver and our decade long playoff drought are the two negatives. And I don’t think the playoff drought is a huge deal. We weren’t terrible this year, we’ve got some good young players, I think as long as Sarver just doesn’t screw things up, we should be a pretty desirable place to play.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Devin Vassell • Kira Lewis Jr. • Saddiq Bey • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by ShelC » Thu May 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Haven't seen his name mentioned but I've always been a fan of Jae Crowder's game. I'd look at him as a smallball 4 who can pretty much switch everything 2-4 with guys like Cam, Kelly, Mikal. Probably not a fulltime/longterm answer but would love him for 24-26mpg assuming Dario is gone.
Last edited by ShelC on Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wormwood
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Wormwood » Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 pm

My #1 target would be Christian Wood. Legit size for a 4. Young, athletic, can shoot the three, great +/-. Very good defender. Throw all our FA money at him. Kid will be borderline all-star with starter's minutes.

Bertrans would be my #2.

Gallo #3.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17062
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone » Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Good to see ya, Worm! Everything OK in your neck of the woods?
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6169
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by In2ition » Thu May 14, 2020 5:53 pm

Wormwood wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 pm
My #1 target would be Christian Wood. Legit size for a 4. Young, athletic, can shoot the three, great +/-. Very good defender. Throw all our FA money at him. Kid will be borderline all-star with starter's minutes.

Bertrans would be my #2.

Gallo #3.
Not a bad list, Worm.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17062
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone » Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm
Good to see ya, Worm! Everything OK in your neck of the woods?
Same goes for INF the other day! I hope all are well. Good to see some of the old timers.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
Wormwood
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Wormwood » Fri May 15, 2020 4:52 am

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm
Good to see ya, Worm! Everything OK in your neck of the woods?
Still doing classified work, so I'm employed. That's the good news.

Bad news is it's with a bunch of older ex-military guys who think masks are stupid, despite working in confined poorly ventilated spaces. HR comes in about twice a week to scream at them and offer empty threats.

Given one of my underlying health issues, it's terrifying. I wander around work wearing everything but a tyvek suit.

On the upside, traffic in DC has never been better.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 10983
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Mori Chu » Fri May 15, 2020 9:41 am

Wormwood wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:52 am
Bad news is it's with a bunch of older ex-military guys who think masks are stupid, despite working in confined poorly ventilated spaces. HR comes in about twice a week to scream at them and offer empty threats.

Given one of my underlying health issues, it's terrifying. I wander around work wearing everything but a tyvek suit.
That's super scary. I hope American stubbornness doesn't lead to a bunch of people getting sick unnecessarily.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17062
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone » Fri May 15, 2020 11:56 am

Wormwood wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:52 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm
Good to see ya, Worm! Everything OK in your neck of the woods?
Still doing classified work, so I'm employed. That's the good news.

Bad news is it's with a bunch of older ex-military guys who think masks are stupid, despite working in confined poorly ventilated spaces. HR comes in about twice a week to scream at them and offer empty threats.

Given one of my underlying health issues, it's terrifying. I wander around work wearing everything but a tyvek suit.

On the upside, traffic in DC has never been better.
Man, sorry you're dealing with that! These guys don't believe in science and facts or they just don't care about themselves or others?
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5364
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by INFORMER » Sat May 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm
Good to see ya, Worm! Everything OK in your neck of the woods?
Same goes for INF the other day! I hope all are well. Good to see some of the old timers.
Thanks 'bone. All is well, thankfully.
2020 Draft: Tyrese Haliburton. Paul Reed. Aaron Nesmith. Desmond Bane. Theo Maledon. Malik Fitts. Jalen Smith. Marcus Zegarowski. Sam Merill. Reggie Perry.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17062
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone » Sat May 16, 2020 4:54 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm
Good to see ya, Worm! Everything OK in your neck of the woods?
Same goes for INF the other day! I hope all are well. Good to see some of the old timers.
Thanks 'bone. All is well, thankfully.
Really glad to hear that! It's got to be a really strange time for draft aficionados like you NBA-wise.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5364
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by INFORMER » Sat May 16, 2020 5:00 pm

Actually, it's not that different, and really, it's the only thing out there that is a basis for discussion. Sure, we don't have the combine, but I don't put too much stock in that event anyways. We don't have the lottery so we don't know who will be draft in the top 4, but that doesn't impact who is available. Enough of the college season and international leagues were played, so there is plenty of information out there to digest.
2020 Draft: Tyrese Haliburton. Paul Reed. Aaron Nesmith. Desmond Bane. Theo Maledon. Malik Fitts. Jalen Smith. Marcus Zegarowski. Sam Merill. Reggie Perry.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17062
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone » Sat May 16, 2020 5:33 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:00 pm
Actually, it's not that different, and really, it's the only thing out there that is a basis for discussion. Sure, we don't have the combine, but I don't put too much stock in that event anyways. We don't have the lottery so we don't know who will be draft in the top 4, but that doesn't impact who is available. Enough of the college season and international leagues were played, so there is plenty of information out there to digest.
Cool. That's really good to hear actually. It'll be interesting to see what the Suns' brass does with this draft. I know you (rightfully) haven't been happy with them for quite a while. You also probably don't have a lot of confidence in Jones to make the best decisions. He made a lot of iffy ones to assemble the last roster and didn't seem to value the draft and assets. Of course, he's another rookie GM that Sarver hired and he has a lot to learn. My only little bit of optimism is that Sarver(Jones) finally hired an experienced coach who I think is a very good fit for our roster.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6169
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by In2ition » Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm

I saw a Dubs fan propose that the Warriors may offer their projected top 3 pick and the Iggy trade exception for Oubre.

What do you all think of that? It would be nice to know what the Suns know, and if they actually do have interest from a big dog that they hinted at, and when is it available.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3983
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by specialsauce » Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 pm

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm
I saw a Dubs fan propose that the Warriors may offer their projected top 3 pick and the Iggy trade exception for Oubre.

What do you all think of that? It would be nice to know what the Suns know, and if they actually do have interest from a big dog that they hinted at, and when is it available.
I would be livid if we traded our only real tradeable asset left (everyone else rather doesn't carry enough a salary, or lacks the talent) for a sorry ass draft pick. Fuck draft picks.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6169
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by In2ition » Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm
I saw a Dubs fan propose that the Warriors may offer their projected top 3 pick and the Iggy trade exception for Oubre.

What do you all think of that? It would be nice to know what the Suns know, and if they actually do have interest from a big dog that they hinted at, and when is it available.
I would be livid if we traded our only real tradeable asset left (everyone else rather doesn't carry enough a salary, or lacks the talent) for a sorry ass draft pick. Fuck draft picks.
If the front office KNOWS ;) ;) that there is a bigtime player that wants to come to Phx in 2021, but you can't resign Oubre if you can sign him, do you think ahead and get that asset ahead of time and free up the money? What if it's this year? (Someone much better than Oubre)
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17062
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Superbone » Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 pm

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm
I saw a Dubs fan propose that the Warriors may offer their projected top 3 pick and the Iggy trade exception for Oubre.

What do you all think of that? It would be nice to know what the Suns know, and if they actually do have interest from a big dog that they hinted at, and when is it available.
I would be livid if we traded our only real tradeable asset left (everyone else rather doesn't carry enough a salary, or lacks the talent) for a sorry ass draft pick. Fuck draft picks.
If the front office KNOWS ;) ;) that there is a bigtime player that wants to come to Phx in 2021, but you can't resign Oubre if you can sign him, do you think ahead and get that asset ahead of time and free up the money? What if it's this year? (Someone much better than Oubre)
You really think this FO thinks that far ahead? ;)
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

Post Reply