Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:51 pm
If I had a time machine, I'd go back and watch this guy:

<Hawk video>
Fo sho. He was before even my time but I read his biography, Foul!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was watching highlights of Amar'es dunks yesterday and immediately thought of what it would be like to transfer that aggression and "dunk everything" mentality into DA. Different players and body control but still...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Great to see all these great videos including the Marbury stanky face.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:31 am
I was watching highlights of Amar'es dunks yesterday and immediately thought of what it would be like to transfer that aggression and "dunk everything" mentality into DA. Different players and body control but still...
Even 75% of Amare’s aggression in DA would elevate him into top 20 status very quickly.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:19 pm
ShelC wrote:
Even 75% of Amare’s aggression in DA would elevate him into top 20 status very quickly.
agreed. I would take DA @ 75% of Amare's aggression over all but 2-3 centers in the game.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:57 am
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
agreed. I would take DA @ 75% of Amare's aggression over all but 2-3 centers in the game.
I think it’s something innate, not learned. Amare had it as a rookie straight out of high school. DA is who he is.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:58 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I think it’s something innate, not learned. Amare had it as a rookie straight out of high school. DA is who he is.
I think for the most part, you are right. He can change this though, but it will have to be something that he has to wants to change about himself and deliberately concentrate on going against his nature until it becomes ingrained in him. Not easy, and nearly impossible.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So far Ayton is a lesser player than Amare was. But despite his lack of aggressiveness, he does have some positive qualities Amare lacked. He's already a much better defender than Amare ever was, and his jumper is much better than Amare's was when he came into the league. I am not worried about Ayton's aggressiveness overall; I just want him to keep working on his game and getting better, things like shooting and post footwork, and I think the rest will take care of itself. I really like how thoughtful and measured he is on offense, leading to his great FG% and rarely seeming to take a bad shot. He fits in well with Booker and others on the team, rather than everybody needing to adjust to him. I want to appreciate the player he is rather than what he isn't.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

There's no denying that Amare had a much more aggressive style of play. He wanted to destroy the hoop.

But Ayton has been better overall in his first 2 seasons, IMO. It's easy to forget that Amare wasn't a very efficient scorer before Nash showed up. Deandre has averaged more points, rebounds, and assists in fewer mpg. The shooting % aren't even close. And Ayton has been a better positional defender.

http://bkref.com/tiny/lxYIz

I think most of the Ayton criticism is let over from his not playing much this season. That suspension cost his reputation a lot.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:29 am
There's no denying that Amare had a much more aggressive style of play. He wanted to destroy the hoop.

But Ayton has been better overall in his first 2 seasons, IMO. It's easy to forget that Amare wasn't a very efficient scorer before Nash showed up. Deandre has averaged more points, rebounds, and assists in fewer mpg. The shooting % aren't even close. And Ayton has been a better positional defender.

http://bkref.com/tiny/lxYIz

I think most of the Ayton criticism is let over from his not playing much this season. That suspension cost his reputation a lot.
It should. It was all his own doing and easily avoidable.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I don't think DA is a lesser player than Amar'e just because Amar'e has aggressiveness over him. Amar'e had a lot of holes in his game which were covered up by his athleticism and playing with Nash.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:13 am
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I think for the most part, you are right. He can change this though, but it will have to be something that he has to wants to change about himself and deliberately concentrate on going against his nature until it becomes ingrained in him. Not easy, and nearly impossible.
I think as he continues to put on muscle and matures into his body and gets even more comfortable on the NBA court against NBA players, his game will evolve naturally and his aggressiveness will increase. He's not a naturally aggressive player but I think as he gets more confident and stronger, those traits will improve. I don't think he knows how he can affect the game yet.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:28 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:13 am
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I think as he continues to put on muscle and matures into his body and gets even more comfortable on the NBA court against NBA players, his game will evolve naturally and his aggressiveness will increase. He's not a naturally aggressive player but I think as he gets more confident and stronger, those traits will improve. I don't think he knows how he can affect the game yet.
I hope it's that easy.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

When I think about, was Tim Duncan a guy you'd call an "aggressive" player? Not really. But he knew where to be and when to be there. He didn't try and kill guys at the rim, so maybe he was aggressive in knowing when to take over which is something DA needs to learn and will hopefully come in time. But more than "aggression", we know it's about being focused and locked in rather than drifting or standing and watching.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Of course, 2 pages in and no Matrix highlights which is fitting for a guy who always felt underappreciated. Watching these videos, all of this feels like a lifetime ago. Shawn was a special transition player with elite athleticism.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:26 pm
When I think about, was Tim Duncan a guy you'd call an "aggressive" player? Not really. But he knew where to be and when to be there. He didn't try and kill guys at the rim, so maybe he was aggressive in knowing when to take over which is something DA needs to learn and will hopefully come in time. But more than "aggression", we know it's about being focused and locked in rather than drifting or standing and watching.
This is a good point. I have never compared him to Duncan before, and we should be better to remember that Tim played 4 yrs of college. Heck David Robinson played 4 yrs of college and took him another 2 yrs to get to the NBA, iirc.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan