Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Post by Mori Chu » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:45 pm

I appreciate these posts, guys. It's nice to have something to smile about. These old Suns teams were really special.

Nodack

Post by Nodack » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:30 pm

I’m not even going to look at the videos that make us mad. I have had my fill of that already just from the last several years of being a Suns fan.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:24 pm

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:16 pm
Game 7, 1976 Western Conference Finals against defending champion Golden State -

Totally forgot about Westphal's dunk over Phil Smith at 58:48
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 pm

"Westphal who just loves to jam the ball..." I sure don't remember that being the case.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:05 am

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 pm
"Westphal who just loves to jam the ball..." I sure don't remember that being the case.
No, he was no David Thompson, that's for sure.

But as demonstrated here, in the 1977 All-Star Game (where he should have been MVP), it wasn't that rare an occasion -

Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:24 am

The most notable things to me from basketball in the '70s compared to now -

- No 3-point line (obviously)
- Less athleticism (especially among big men)
- More player movement (the unexpected side effect of the 3-point FG)
- Very demonstrative officiating (before the league wanted their officials to become robots)
- Less physical play (with the exception of an occasional hard foul)

And now let me digress further -

One rule that went away that I thing deserves another look is the old "backcourt foul". It was originally to help discourage excessive fouling, but I think now it could be used to discourage the fouls we see simply to keep teams from getting out on the fast break. Originally it was 3 FT to make 2, but it could be something like 1 FT and possession.

A couple of other old rules worth revisiting are the number of foul shots awarded for a foul on a three-point shot (when you consider the expected number of points from a 3-point shot, two free throws seems sufficient, three has just led to too much flopping) and the old ABA rule that instead of a player being disqualified after 6 fouls, he could stay in the game but a technical foul shot would be awarded for the 6th (and every subsequent) foul by the player (or get creative - make loss of possession the only penalty for an offensive foul, don't count it as a personal foul. Nobody wants to see a couple of flops take a star player out of the game early because of a couple of fouls).

Split T

Post by Split T » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:46 am

I read an article once suggesting we go back to 2 shots for a 3pt foul. I initially thought that seemed dumb, giving 3 shots for taking a shot worth 3 points made sense. But the article pointed out the data and it was pretty overwhelming. While the expected points from taking 2 foul shots was higher than the expected points from a 2 point field goal. The expected points taking 3 foul shots was way, way more than the expected points from a 3pt shot. So put me in the camp that would do away with 3 free throws for a foul on a 3 pt shot.

Though I might make an exception for someone intentionally fouling a 3pt shooter.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Devin Vassell • Kira Lewis Jr. • Saddiq Bey • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

Cap

Post by Cap » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:11 am

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:46 am
I read an article once suggesting we go back to 2 shots for a 3pt foul. I initially thought that seemed dumb, giving 3 shots for taking a shot worth 3 points made sense. But the article pointed out the data and it was pretty overwhelming. While the expected points from taking 2 foul shots was higher than the expected points from a 2 point field goal. The expected points taking 3 foul shots was way, way more than the expected points from a 3pt shot. So put me in the camp that would do away with 3 free throws for a foul on a 3 pt shot.

Though I might make an exception for someone intentionally fouling a 3pt shooter.
I think I’d also make an exception for the last two minutes of regulation or OT.
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against

My [2019-20] prediction is better than mid 30s... mark it down! — Superbone

Indy

Post by Indy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:30 pm

I would just go to a single FTA that counts for all of the points the shot would have made, but 3PA FTs are taken from the top of the 3 point line. And all "AND 1s" would just be awarded another point for the foul instead of taking the FTA.

And I would do all Q1 through Q3 FTs during the quarter commercial breaks. Do the 4th Q FTAs during game play.

I realize this takes away the potential for offensive boards on missed FTAs, but oh well. I think you could cut 15 minutes of dead time off the broadcast/game play. Maybe more for foul-fests. I am sure there is data out there on how much time is wasted due to FTAs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone » Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 pm

Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)