Phx-Suns.Net Official Meeting

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Phx-Suns.Net Official Meeting

Post by Superbone »

Sure, there have been informal meetups before, usually on relatively short notice. However, we've never tried to organize anything bigger with plenty of time to make plans. (Maybe once. I remember a picture or two of quite a few members but I wasn't able to participate at the time.) Especially for anybody from out of state, or country even, who is interested in meeting their fellow phx-suns.net posters.

My recollection of the history of phx-suns.net:

Many of us have been talking to each other virtually for over 20 years! It started for me on the AZCentral boards back in the 90s. I don't recall exactly when that was happening. It could have been even earlier. Maybe Laz remembers. That's when a particular poster decided to spam and incite the other posters. This caused Sose to create phxsuns.net. We were able to kvetch in peace about our Suns for many, many years. Then, the lost season occurred. I'm not sure if Sose's site was attacked or what (anybody know?) Suddenly, we were cut off from each other. It was frustrating too as it was the 48 win season when Dragic and Bledsoe were playing really well together (Dragic got Most Improved Player)and we had picked up Miles Plumlee and Gerald Green who both probably had their best season in the NBA. We tied the record for most wins without making the playoffs but it was by far our most fun Sarver year since Steve Nash had left. Then Marty, AKA Mori Chu, stepped in and created phx-suns.net and via Facebook and other media, most were eventually able to find their way back here. And we've been back together ever since.

Anybody please feel free to correct or add to my recollection of our history. It would be nice to have an official history wikipedia style.

I wanted to give plenty of time for everybody to think about attending and to make plans. Because of the global pandemic, we can't even start to figure out a date yet. It will be dependent on when fans are allowed to attend games again.

My idea is to first meet the day before a game at a local bar, maybe Majerle's. Since people may come from out of state, myself included, I think a two day affair is warranted. Then, the next day, meet for dinner before the game, attend the game in the newly renovated arena and then meet for drinks afterward. Of course, attendance to everything is optional. What does everybody think of this plan? Other ideas?

So, the first thing is to figure out the format and then later, figure out the best game and time in the future that best accommodates everybody interested in attending.

I'm proud to be in the phx-suns.net family and I've had a blast talking with you all throughout the years. We've lost some of our family along the way, MEE and Swing come to mind, so let's make this happen while we can. Plus, it's just fun to imagine being at a large social gathering again one day.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Re: Phx-Suns.Net Official Meeting

Post by Nodack »

I love it Superbone! My recollection of the dates is a little sketchy as well. I remember getting pissed off at that guy we all knew on AZ Central. He would just spam insults over and over. I would try to get into psychological wars with him and he seemed to relish that. Then one day someone, I can’t remember who, told me about phxsuns.net and Sose let me in. I was very grateful to not have to ever deal with that guy again. We have done a couple of experiments over the years by letting him in and they all ended up a failure. He is/was just an asshole by nature it seemed and needed to be banned for life. I just talked about him more than I care to ever again.

We have had several get togethers over the years. My favorite was when we went to Majerle’s last game as a Sun. We had a big banner my brother made and held it up often. We went to Majerle’s after the game and I got a bunch of signatures on the banner. I still have the banner somewhere I think.

It would be nice to meet you in person Superbone. I feel like I know you already since it’s been 20 years or whatever. Count me in.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Same here, 'Dack. I look forward to it!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am in.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I absolutely remember posting on the AZCentral message boards after the '99 lockout when we signed Googs and Longley (and being excited smh), then the trade for Penny and Backcourt 2000. So that's over 20 years already. I also check the wayback machine every now and then to see old iterations of the site but haven't been able to access the forum in any way.

Would love a meet up and I'm sure if we get enough to come out (maybe 6 or 8+) we can get a nice group deal or maybe a suite at a game, some pregame group access and a welcome message on the board. Of course, who knows when that'll be but it's nice to have something to look forward to.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:53 am
I absolutely remember posting on the AZCentral message boards after the '99 lockout when we signed Googs and Longley (and being excited smh), then the trade for Penny and Backcourt 2000. So that's over 20 years already. I also check the wayback machine every now and then to see old iterations of the site but haven't been able to access the forum in any way.

Would love a meet up and I'm sure if we get enough to come out (maybe 6 or 8+) we can get a nice group deal or maybe a suite at a game, some pregame group access and a welcome message on the board. Of course, who knows when that'll be but it's nice to have something to look forward to.
I think the suites hold 20--if we can get close to that number it would probably be a pretty good deal. I have a half-pack of season tickets (for whenever it seems safe again) and might be able to swing some type of deal for a suite.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I would read the AZ central message boards but never bothered to register to post. Did the same at phxsuns.net for a while, too. I remember getting riled up at someone, trying to respond, then realizing you had to be a member and there wasn't a simple "register here" button to be found. I think it was probably a year later before I emailed sose and asked to join. That was probably the 2001/02 season, maybe 2002/03. I dropped off for a couple years when life got too crazy (as my oldest started school and my youngest was a handful and work was just nuts with cross-country travel every other week for 2 years). In the middle of that gap was when sose dropped the other site. I probably would have come back a bit sooner if I would have known this new site existed. Not sure how I found it. I think 'Bone let me know about it through email or facebook or something.

I am very thankful for this place, and to those of you that keep it going (admin) and those that keep is interesting (posters). I guess some of the admins keep their posts interesting, so double thanks to you. ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

For what it's worth, my email records show that I registered the phx-suns.net domain on Feb 25, 2014. (On that date, we lost to the Jazz 109-86.) So we've been in operation since roughly that time. It looks like the first post to the site was made on Feb 26, 2014. (On Feb 27, 2014, we defeated the Pelicans 116-104 behind 40 points from Goran Dragic. So, starting the site must have lit a fire under the team!! :-)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 am
For what it's worth, my email records show that I registered the phx-suns.net domain on Feb 25, 2014. (On that date, we lost to the Jazz 109-86.) So we've been in operation since roughly that time. It looks like the first post to the site was made on Feb 26, 2014. (On Feb 27, 2014, we defeated the Pelicans 116-104 behind 40 points from Goran Dragic. So, starting the site must have lit a fire under the team!! :-)
Ah thanks. I just checked and my first post here was in August of 2014 and it was Supe that pointed me here.

That July my son would have started kindergarten, so then both my kids were in school and I started a new job in June that required so much less travel. Makes sense now that I put all that together that I finally had some free time again.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I joined the original .net sometime around 2002-2003 I believe. I have no idea how I found it, but I do remember just reading for a bit before asking to join.

I was pretty sad when the site went down. I remember checking frequently to see if it came back up and was always disappointed, haha. I spent the time over on the real gm boards. I joined the new .net in July 2014. Someone over on real gm made a comment about everyone being back at .net and I was pretty excited to find it again!

I don’t live in AZ anymore, but if the timing is right, I might be able to attend. Would be a lot of fun!

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

If we have enough notice I will try! I’m out of state now.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I was mainly a lurker in the old site, just trying to polish my English reading... then it vanished. I didn’t realize how deep invested I was until I started to experience some abstinence syndrome!!!

I kept coming back to check the old Site address and eventually, Google, on some crazy day, proposed me an alternate way to write it. I knew it wasn’t the right link but I took the bait, and voila, found Mori’s place, and many of the old timers already posting on it. It was funny that I started almost some sort of list checking and smiling over finding you well and alive (posting).

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We should maybe start a google sheet one or a few of the main people keep/have access to with everyone's updated emails just in case the site does go down or something happens and updates/info can be sent out. Should be secure tho with admin access so people know it's safe. Just a thought.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:47 am
We should maybe start a google sheet one or a few of the main people keep/have access to with everyone's updated emails just in case the site does go down or something happens and updates/info can be sent out. Should be secure tho with admin access so people know it's safe. Just a thought.
that is a good idea.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
I do have folks' emails that they used to register their accounts here. One thing people could do is to go into their account settings and double-check that their email is up to date. If anything ever happened to the site, I could contact folks at their given email addresses to let them know.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:23 am
ShelC wrote:
I do have folks' emails that they used to register their accounts here. One thing people could do is to go into their account settings and double-check that their email is up to date. If anything ever happened to the site, I could contact folks at their given email addresses to let them know.
But what if something happens to you (not trying to be morbid, but Sose had all of our email addresses, too)? Would folks be OK if the admins have access to that info (just username and email addresses)? I know I would.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:19 am
But what if something happens to you (not trying to be morbid, but Sose had all of our email addresses, too)? Would folks be OK if the admins have access to that info (just username and email addresses)? I know I would.
Sure thing; it wouldn't bother me at all, and I agree with your concern. We can make a Google Doc or whatever folks want to do.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Please go ahead, guys like me from out of Phoenix get uncovered and on our own if a shutdown happens.Would be nice to get an email with survival instructions :lol: